Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Hey

18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey.. I've been trying to quit for over a year.. and failed many many times.. the biggest reason I can't quit is because literally all of my co-workers smoke.. my friends have all quit and are actually quite supportive, but unfortunately I see my co-workers a lot more than I see my friends. Currently, I smoke a king-large pack a day.. and I can't seem to quit.
18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the advice; i really appreciate it. I've set my quit date to April 1st, and i'm trying to cut down as much as I can in preparation for that day. I've been somewhat successful so far.. I managed to cut down a pack a day to just half a pack a day. I've told my co-workers I want to quit, but didn't really get much response from them. Do you guys really think the patch will help?
18 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terry, I am kinda in the same boat you are in. I love to play golf and all my friends smoke. Yesterday I bought myself some gum and went to the golf course. I realized that I would not be able to run away from this problem and had to confront it. Well I survivied and did not lose any friends. I did not tell them that I had quit smoking and to be honest with you they really did not seem to care either way. Carlos
18 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Terry, Like other people have said in this thread, don't let people at work stop you. At Thanksgiving, 5 people at my office smoked. One person quit at Christmas, 2 at New Years, and 1 a month ago. I was the last holdout until I realized I had put off quitting, supposedly, because other people in the office smoked- and I didn't even have that anymore. But if that first person in my office hadn't taken the initiative to show us he could do it, we might all still be smoking now. Show the other people in your office that you are stong, and maybe they'll all follow you! Good luck, we are here for you! Meg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 92 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$72,606.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 759 Hours: 9

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Terry Congrats on your decision to quit smoking. You will LOVE how you are going to feel about yourself. You ask about the patch. 2 weeks before my quit I went to my Doc. and he prescribed the patch. I was 4 weeks on 21 mg, 2 weeks on 14mg and 2 weeks 7 mg. I have been off the patch now for almost 2 weeks. Things are going great. It may work well for you too. There is so much more to smoking than just the Nicotene. The patch really helps you to deal with the other things while slowly weening you off the nic. I suggest you go to your Doc. and come up with a plan that suits you. Whatever it takes to do it, DO IT. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,595 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $547.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Terry88, [IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/cuddlebug230/Welcome/welcome_6.gif[/IMG] to SSC Best Support group for quitting that I have found Did you use the Quit Program Tools on the Left? Reading all the fantastic posts and inspirational messages really helps to. Cuddles [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 441 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $79.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi terry, how about being the first at work to quit!!!!! you may start a new trend,there maybe others wanting to do it but feel like there alone.be brave take the 1st step.it can be done just look at the members numbers on this site.good luck jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/13/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 143 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,592 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �564.85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Terry, Most of my co-workers smoke. I once felt they were the reason I could not set a firm quit date. I later realized they were my excuse (aong with anything else my 'junkie thinking' could rationalize and I have a big imagination ;)) [u]Smoking is an addiction to nicotine.[/u] Realizing and excepting this as a fact is hard for some of us but it will help you understand the term 'junkie thinking'. In order to stop you need a quit date and a plan. The plan helps you put together a 'survival kit.' The plan also gives you new ways to 'cope' with the emotional void that smoking now fills. Learn about 'rewards' and why they are important. Try not to make more out of fear than it is worth, okay Terry? . No matter how much you smoked or for how long, someone here has smoked MORE and for LONGER and they quit. So YOU can do it too! Start making a plan now and set a date 'soon' and stick to it no matter what. You must believe in yourself. Also, come back and tell us about your plan. :) [color=blue]~[font=Arial]all the best[/font][/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 197 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,349 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $985 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way2go for setting that quit date. Do not change it Terry. It's very important you stick to it no matter what. Several members have successfully used the patch, some swear by Zyban and some of us quit cold turkey. I researched all of them on the internet, talked with my doctor and then made my decision. Use the rest of this month to begin reading and researching everything you can find about quitting. You will know what is best for you when you have all the information. I doubt your co-workers are going to be very encouraging. Can you remember how you felt when others told you they were quitting? It made me feel like crap about myself. *grin* So hey, don't sweat them...lean on us. We are your quit family. We are your support 24/7. Together we will do it. :) [color=blue]~[font=Arial]all the best[/font][/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 199 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,399 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $995 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 453 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember the first time I noticed that I could [i]smell[/i] my smoking friends before I could see them. There's nothing like that feeling of satisfaction knowing you will no longer smell like that. After you quit, you may start to discover that you and your smoking co-workers don't seem as close as you used to. This happens for two reasons: 1. You find out that you really didn't have anything in common after all except smoking; and, 2. Your still-smoking friends probably think about quitting all the time. They probably have friends and family members wishing they would quit. So, when [i]you[/i] quit, it will most likely make them feel guilty for not quitting too and ashamed that they think they are too weak to quit. In the end, if your friendship is real, it will survive the temporary strain. And in the meantime, just look at all the [i]virtual[/i]-friends you have right here. Come on by, post, tell us all about it. Chances are, most of us have been there and believe it or not, you can help someone else who may be on the fence about quitting. It's really not that hard once you realize that you can't quit smoking until you stop smoking. It's all down hill from there. Cold Turkeys don't smoke, okay? It's bad for us. Mc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,839 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $756 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: