Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

FIRST SMOKE FREE DAY

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Doc, Welcome to the site and congratulations on becoming an ex-smoker! It is great to hear that you are ready to quit! The question is are you prepared? Please take advantage of our free Online Treatment Program in your glove compartment as you log into our site. This program will first help you determine if youre ready to quit. If youve already quit and are looking for some help, this program is for you. Although the program will first assess if youre ready to quit the exercises at the beginning of the program will help remind you of the reasons why you quit in the first place. Dont get frustrated - ex-smokers have told us that the exercises at the beginning of the program gave them confidence and helped them reaffirm their personal commitment to remain smoke free. The exercises in this program are divided into six major milestones. Think of each milestone as a destination youre trying to reach. After you complete the exercises in each milestone, your car will progress along the road map located at the bottom left-hand side of the screen. The best thing about this program is that it is free and you dont have to purchase any products to use this program. We hope that we have guided you in the right direction today! Please feel free to contact our support department in our feedback section found at the bottom of this page if you continue to have any questions or concerns. Or, please continue to join us here at our online support group! We wish you all the best and look forward to helping you achieve your goals! Take Care, Melanie ___________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi my name is Cori and I am currently on day one. This is the first support group i have been a part of and just paging through this it seems like everyone is here to help one another. I have alot of medical problems and smoking is only making the majority of them worse. I have 2 small kids to care for so i need to quit not only for me but for them. i appreciate all the help i can get cuz i need it. :8o:
18 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:):-h Hi Doc ... My name is Diane. This is my first day today and I'm hanging tough. I do realize that it won't be easy, and I am glad a friend of mine referred me to this site. It's helping me through education and support so far. I have been wanting to quit for quite awhile and have done it before, several years back. My husband is not a smoker, and nearly all his family are also non-smokers. When I visit with them, it seems to be easier to not smoke around them. I just decided that I got tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. Let's support one another. Diane
18 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Doc! It really is about getting your life back! You don't realize what a slave you are to cigarettes until you start to get free! Once you get past that first week it does get a lot easier. Don't make any major decisions for at least the first month though! I foolishly locked into a too high interest rate on a mortgage and turned down a promotion at work under the influence of withdrawal! Even now, i'm a little worried about what consequences I'll be facing when I go out the door! :confuse: Lynda
18 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You may say this is my first day all over again. I started last Sunday but fell off the wagon last night as I wasn't able to handle the stressors that mounted. Back on track today though and just as determined to go forward. Hang in there you'll do great! Tom
18 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Aboard Doc ! A lot of us are on like day 5. Not too far ahead of you .. This is a great site to come to when you need a little affirmation that you are doing the right thing .. even though it sucks sometimes. We can all quit if we just don't smoke. Good luck .. there is a lot of support here for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 235 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Doc ! Are you a doctor? What happened at your doctor's appointment that scared you ? Sorry for the questions, just caught my interest and wanted to know more about you. There is a new club forming for people who quit smoking in February 06. It is being run by FairyDust.. We are looking for a name and for new members.. you are welcome and invited. Pick up some hard candy.. it will help with the cravings.. Get rid of all cigarettes and ashtrays and give yourself 0 access. Drink lots of water or tea or cranberry juice. These will help flush the nicotine out of your system faster. In 3 days you will pass the physical addiction and it really is easier after that. Look at quitting for what it really is.. rehab. Pamper yourself and make the next few days about you. Rest when you need to, vent when you need to. Eat a bit more if you need to. Let others know that this is your time.. it helps them to be supportive. YOU HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION !!! YOU CAN DO THIS !!!! HANG TUFF !! Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 288 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi DOC and Cori, Welcome to both of you and congrats on your determination to quit. I have found that this site is very helpful and the members are amazingly supportive. The information here helped me build a good program and the members have pulled me through some tough times including one VERY dark night. I believe you will get out of the progam what you put in to it. This is work . . . hard work. It can be done though. Take some time and read through the posts and pay attention to the quitmeters of the members. There are some pretty impressive numbers out there, an inspiration in itself. I only have 2 weeks quit, but I would share this with you: Find ways to keep your mind and hands busy. Learn to breathe-activities that force you to focus on your breathing are great (I have been learning to play harmonica). Develop a mantra. Mine is not finished yet but the rough draft has already helped me through some tough moments. It is, in part, "I am not a social smoker, there is absolutely nothing that makes it OK for me to have even one drag of a cigarette..." Good luck! We're with you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 181 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratualtions on being an ex-smoker Doc: we are proud of you. I am not on day one but I will look around and see if I can find you a buddy to lean on. In the mean time, stay strong and smoke free. ~Funk [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 389 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $79.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI EVERYONE, MY NAMES DOC AND THIS IS DAY ONE FOR ME. I'VE BEEN ON DAY ONE BEFORE AND FELL OFF TTHE CIGARETTE WAGON MORE THAN ONCE. I HAD A DR'S APPOINTMENT THAT PUT THE SCARE OF A LIFETIME INTO ME AND RECENTLY LAID TO REST 2 COLLEAGUES WHO LOST THEIR CANCER BATTLES. THIS TIME I MEAN TO QUIT. IV'E BEEN SMOKING FOR 14 YRS NOW AND DECIDED THAT IT WAS TIME TOO TAKE BACK CONTROL OF MY LIFE. IF ANYONE ELSE IS ON DAY ONE GIVE ME A SHOUT OUT SO WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER OUT. THANKS DOC

Reading this thread: