Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Mid life crisis and quitting

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Aloha, Honey, we don't compare anything you didn't already compare yourself!  (I'm bigger, right??)  (Um, not that it matters or anything....)
This is so NOT a guy's corner!!  (Although really, who doesn't think that phlegm isn't funny??  Hack Hack.)

It's just that Dunedude and I go back a ways and are getting re-acquainted and caught up here.  But that doesn't mean that we do stupid boy things.  (Well, actually. we do, but everyone is welcome to join in!  How far can you spit?)

PLEASE hang with us, Aloha, and everyone else!  We need all the help we can get. 
peteg
13 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hate to be gender biased, but this sure seems to be a guy thread...I'm keeping my distance for sure. But congrats on adding up the days, guys! And glad you have your dude corner to support and compare, um, notes...and other things
-aloha 
13 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
LMAO PETE!

I have to make a promise to not talk about my production system...Well at least the phlegm anyway.
Sorry to hear about the skin cancer! Take it from me it sucks to be an Anglo close to the sun! I have had 4 different skin cancers remove in the last 3 years. 2 were on my face and required MOSE surgery and 11/2" scars (barely see them now...thanks doc!) The other 2 were on my hand. I have one right now on my hand that I suspicious of and have to go in for. I'm afraid its never ending.
I hope all went well today!
CHEERS!

Dam I really am painting myself as some kind of grotesque monster arent I? Between the phlegm and the skin problems jeez!
Wow, Dunedude, thanks for sharing your bodily functions with us!  If phlegm is the first week, I can't wait to hear what you can and can't produce during subsequent weeks!

You know I'm just kidding, dude; you rock.  Hack away and spew your new-found internal fluids wherever you care to!  I can say that because I live 3000 miles away from you!  (Can you imagine if we were neighbors?  We'd be coughing up "stuff" and wiping it on our hands so we could examine it and say "COOL" over it, right?)  We would get into SO much trouble together, but we wouldn't ever smoke, would we?

Are we doing anything special tomorrow?
Me, I have a skin cancer treatment in the morning; all those shirtless SoCal days caught up with me, and they have to cut some stuff out of my back tomorrow.  I never dreamed I'd become part of the sunscreen and hat set, but there we are.  Beats lung cancer, and I've learned my lessons on all fronts.  I have to do the knife tomorrow, but I'll be darned (would use a stronger word in person or IM) if I ever push an O2 cart in front of me.  NOPE.  I'm SO done with those things.  You are too, buddy.  We all are here.

Hang in, Buddy.  We get our first prize tomorrow!

--pete

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good work, Dunedad! Thanks for the explanation and sharing your story. And congrats on making it through Hell Week! What a great accomplishment! I'm glad you are feeling happy with yourself and your efforts. Any rewards in mind?

Stay strong!

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,499.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5542 Hours: 6

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 290 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys,
Please don't think I am setting up a failure with this thread, my intent is to ingrain it in me (and maybe others) that the feeling is not worth it.

It has only been a week. And in the last week I have produced phlegm! Yeah great (in a "whatever" kind of voice) you might say. But it is big for me. You see, the thing that prompted me was the feeling of my health going south. My lungs had lost the capability to dispel phlegm. I would cough like crazy, have fits. But the stuff would not come up. Almost immediately the 1st day without a smoke I was able to "produce".  Now as I type this, I just took a deep breath and noticed I don't wheeze anymore! ALREADY! Simply amazing!

Marbles I would encourage you to walk a couple flights and get a real world comparison to then and now. To see how much your quit has benefited you already. It really is a bump to the cause.!
Dunedude!!  That is SO the very reason why I cave to the crave, too!  Love the rush, love the bad-boy thing, love the sneaking around!  But as good old St. Paul says, "When I was a kid, I acted like a kid; now that I'm a grown-up, I'm acting like a grown-up."  I've got some years on you (not many!), so it's also maybe mid-life for me (assuming I plan on living to be 182)... but I'm telling myself my family is waiting for me to grow up, and I've kinda kept them waiting long enough.  Tired of being that sneaky punk.
SO glad you're back here!!
peteg
13 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad,

I was visiting one of the construction sites a week before I quit, and we had to climb 2 flights of stairs. I was out of breath after just two flight of stairs. I am 35 by the way. I am lazy by nature, I knew I was in bad shape, only didn't realise how bad!!
There is nothing related to youth about smoking for me, but I am sure the junkie in me will find a way to get in the way again somehow and disturb me.  

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad,

It's good that you are looking ahead and wondering about temptations and triggers. What do you think? What have you learned from the past? How many times do you want to start over?

Stay strong! You can do it!

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,499.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5542 Hours: 6

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad, I just weigh the cons vs. the pros and know that there is not enough racing fuel or any other reason for me to EVER pick up a cigarette again.  I had medical issues three years ago, and my oncologist gave me a choice to make.  So in my mind, there is NOTHING that the nicodemon can throw my way to entice me to ever smoke again.  My age related realization is that I want to grow old, without lung disease or cancer.  I am going to do whatever it takes to reduce my chances of lung disease!  Now who knows if the 20 years I smoked will have permanent damage, but I promised myself that no temporary rush is going to put me back to where I was before I quit.  Wishing you success on your quit!

Reading this thread: