Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,556 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Drinking more beer with quitting

17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dune You are not alone in this and by the way my feeling is that 5 or 6 beers is not a problem. I have one friend who stopped years ago and now drinks abottle of wine a day(but hates smoking!). A very good friend of mine(a lady)smoked 60 a day for 45 years and quit 5 weeks ago(I am he mentor).She always liked a drink but now she has NOT smoked but is hitting the booze badly I saw her on Saturday blind drunk!(This doees worry me) And so to me I am drinking more yes but far from alcoholic I only have like you a few beers Lets have a party to discuss in more depth. I think Europeans drink more theanAmericand on average anyway? HIC! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 188 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,950 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �987 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 37 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kev Tuesday is the day for nicotine not alcohol... You should never drink Alcohol unless there is the letter 'y' in the day. Ie MondaY is OK get it? Seriously mate moderation is the key total abstinence I feel would be boring. I said to my doctor once'If I give up smoking,alcohol and sex will I live longer' 'Probably not but it will feel like it!' Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 195 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,099 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1023.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting thread. I come from a family (both sides) of "addictive" personalities. My father's uncle and my mother's uncle were drinking buddies and blew their respective family wealth and businesses funding their alcoholism and their smokes! And just about ever male on both sides of my family, smoked from wee small boys. I started drinking when my father died (of lung cancer) when I was about 15. I drank vodka before I went to school in the mornings. Didn't smoke in those days and HATED anybody who did because of my beloved dad. I didn't know about the families' drink problems. When somebody finally told me of them, I realised I had a problem and stopped all alcohol there and then. I never really have got back into it because I've always been aware it's an "issue". Though I too, have had a habit of turning to alcohol in tough times. It always concerns me and I have always caught myself very quickly and aimed to have none for reasonable periods of time just to make sure I was OK. Since quitting, I still have the odd one but now that I'm, also trying to do something about the weight issue, I take a small amount of very dry wine, top it up with LOADS of ice cold calorie free soda, and sip slowly. Bliss. I'm trying to make my addictive personality get into exercise instead! This masking things with cigs, alsohol or whatever, does make me wonder what my family have been hiding from for generations. It's uncomfortable to confront the idea that those gods of mine, might have had feet of clay after all. But then, none of them are here to ask! At least, hopefully, my kids will be able to ask ME. Dunedad, happy 40th. Life begins...... S x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,287 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �390 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whoa...a thread that is hitting pretty close to home for me as well. Before we quit, my husband would have a drink or two in the evening. Ocassionally, I would join him. When we quit, he continued to have a drink or two, and I was joining him. No problem---I never associated smoking with drinking. This has gone on every night for about eight months. Recently I have acknowledged that this is problem behavior and discussed it with my husband just last night. We will work on this vice next :blush: In the meantime.... Dunedad, Peteg and Windy---next party you guys have I want to go to---sounds like you are having way too much fun! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 156 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,819 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1248 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peteg, Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying our site. Yes, the alcohol help center lets you decide by how much you'd like to reduce your drinking if not entirely. It's a great ressource! Teeny, Although I completely see your viewpoint, it is important to recognize that what is and what is not problem drinking will be different for everyone. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad, It sounds like you've substituted one habit for another. Don't be too hard on yourself. We have a sister site that may be of help to you: www.alcoholhelpcenter.net There you'll find a program that will help you set drinking goals. Learning new coping skills isn't easy but you it is doable. Just keep taking it one step at a time and try to figure out what it is you're having trouble dealing with. Hope this helps. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kevin, I applaud you helping yourself out and I stand right next to you very proud to see you reaching your 100 days. Turning 40 makes you review it all, but it's part of the journey ~ We're not here to judge, just share and glad you're here to share your insights with all of us. You never know who you have helped by putting a little of yourself out there. Big Hug, CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 323 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,476 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1130.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dune... No lectures from me. Actually I'm amazed that you can drink that much beer and be able to enjoy it. (Almost envious) I can't do it. After two or so the smoking cravings kick in for me. But I'm thinking 5 or 6 beers every day probably isn't good for ya. Have a good one! Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 337 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,807 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2274.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad, One of the more interesting posts to me, and hitting close to home on two fronts. 1st and foremost the drinking. Like you, I liked to have my beers after work and at bowling. But after awhile the trouble it causes. Not going into detail, but haven't had a drink since Sept 24th 2005 and 1 year to the date on 2006 quit smoking. After not drinking my smoking increased quite a bit replacing one habit with another. When Sept 06 hit and I was turning 39, I told my wife that I want to be in both physical and aerobic shape by the time I am 40. So far in this voyage it has been a most rewarding and eye opening experience conquering to vices and on my way to being in the best shape of my life when I turn 40. Dunedad, Like some have said, may not be a problem now, but then you have one of those nights where the 4 or 5 turn into 10 or 12, and instead of getting home at six for dinner, you get home at midnight not calling the spouse. Hopefully you have the willpower to only have a few and wish you the best of luck. Freebird ~'~ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 142 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,274 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $596.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad, you are doing so well but Nip it in the bud real quick dude ! If it's your 'reward', substitute it with a bottle of ice cold water. Should do the job in the interim. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 771 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,276 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5011.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 111 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$12,524.52

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 626 Hours: 16

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: