Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Drinking more beer with quitting

17 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
addictive personality says it all. My girlfriend says i drink more as well. Aside of my brother passing on Friday the Day before my birthday A bottle of wine and 24 beers alot of talking and emails I never had that strong desire. I feel smoking doesnt exist anymore with me. To drink coffee or an alcoholic beverage is a huge hurdle and when family stress is there that is another hurdle to fight not to have one,,, Don [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 492 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $207 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
  • Quit Meter

$168,917.76

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9140 Hours: 20

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dunedad and Everyone, I know I have the addicted personality, and I have known it for years. I figured smoking was the "safest" addiction I could have. What will it be next? Mmmm, I'm thinking chocolate. Although I enjoy throwing a few back now and then, it's the atmosphere that would trigger something. I could drink at home, but I am safer with chocolate. Many in my family, all generations, are/were alcohol dependent and all smoke(d) so I don't think I want to go there. Yes, chocolate will be fine. I'll let you know if it really causes pimples. LOL MomMom [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 84 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Two words for you DuneDad: "oral fixation". I've always had it. When I wasn't smoking I was drinking something (mostly coffee and beer) or chewing gum or chewing fingernails or eating or wishing I was doing one of those things. I'd bet I was a thumb sucker when I was a kid too. Must ask my mother... Now I'm not smoking but I'm still always putting something in my mouth. I've been avoiding beer (which I like alot) only because I fear slipping my quit, so I'm on sugar free hard candy. If beer wasn't lowering my defences for smoking I'd be pouring them back too. I suggest that your thing may not be with alcohol necessarily, but using beer as a way to keep your mouth busy. Try something else in your mouth. With this caveat: If you are withdrawing from the booze in a hard way then you should be seeking professional advice. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 281 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$263,366.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8458 Hours: 10

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey DuneDad. I just turned 40 (Jan18) and decided it was time to clean up my act too! That turned out to be a very popular and enlightening post (even though I don't necessarily agree with all that was said). And as a matter of fact I have been cleaning the house more regularly - as a way of keeping busy. But Sorry I can't offer my services to others. The golden retriever sheds enough hair to keep two of me dusting and sweeping and vacuuming... When's your party Phil? Maybe we should have a virtual one some time. BTW The cultural differeces are also a valid point. I live in Nova Scotia and most people around here wouldn't think a 6pack is a big issue. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 295 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $132 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
  • Quit Meter

$263,366.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8458 Hours: 10

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dunedad, There is no definition of an alcoholic. Only description. Alcoholics are men and women who lost the ability to control there drinking. So, if you think YOU think are one of them, call the local AA hot-line. :)
17 years ago 0 449 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dune, I agree with the oral fixation and in my first couple of days I did post about taking up red wine instead of ciggies, but it was deleted I think. It's 3:22 am where I am and I'm just catching up after 16 hours working LOL. Anyhow, coming from someone who can drink 4-5 beers in an afternoon by the lake (and love it).............I have found that I have to stop at 2. Anything over 2 and my willpower is out the window and the cravings too huge. I'm also eating sugar like it's going out of style. Unfortunately, quite sadly, the dusting addiction passed this house. BTW, I turn 45 this year. I'm 5 years behind you cleaning up my addictions but let me tell you, my 40's beat my 30's by a landslide. Welcome to a great decade. Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,204 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $300 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go Dunedad! Love Ya auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,175 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $204.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
You're Too Cool Dune! auntdeb ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,483 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $232.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
Dunedad, Thumbs up to you, and I think we have all learned a couple things here..and maybe brought some things to the attention of others! and this is why we are all here...to learn and encourage each other! Great Post! Thanks.. auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,092 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $194.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
Dunedad... You are a big boy, and you sound intelligent enough. So...listen up "Cry Baby" I used to drink too, and worse after that first 10 year quit (that I keep telling everyone about). You are an addict and your wife is Right! (you may not be an alcoholic now, but if you keep it up you will be. We make extremely poor decisions under the influence of alcohol, and promises that we wish the next day we hadn't. We get ourselves into situations that we can not talk ourselves out of because we do not know how to communicate (thanks to nicodemon being in control for so long). I have a wonderful husband who helped me beat the alcohol thing (he doesn't drink. I have a feeling that you probably have a terrific wife too if she has told you to your face you are becoming an alcoholic. You have to deal with these raw emotions instead of sweeping them under a crutch! What are you feeling angry about, are you man enough to sit down and talk with your wife calmly about what is troubling you. Are you feeling guilty about some inner paranoid thought in your mind,but can't bear to bring it up to your wife or co-worker? Take your life back Dunedad...stay Smoke free and please don't give up one addiction for another. Learn to know what these emotional hang-ups are and deal with them at the source. "Take Control", but be nice! auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,033 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $190 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: