Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Driving and not smoking

17 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Driving was my biggest concern when I decided to quit. I do a lot of driving, and I did a lot of smoking at the same time. So what I did was, a just after putting on my first patch, I went to the carwash. Threw out every empty pack of gross butts, and even some full pakcs that had been hidden away. Vaccuumed up the stink and the ash and marveled at the beauty of my nice clean car. And then, I realized that smoking was stopping me from really enjoying what makes my car unique. I have a convertible that I never used, because it was impossible to smoke with all the wind. So I spent the first day driving aimlessly with my stereo blaring, up and down highways and anywhere I could think of with the top down! I got me a nice tan, and I think I've convinced myself that driving is a lot more fun without smoking. :)
17 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mama, About a year ago (in preperation for my new baby) I made the decision to stop smoking in my car. This is different though because I wasnt actually giving up smoking, just smoking in the car. I work a part time job 4 hrs a day and dont get a break. So when I got in my car to take the 30min trip home I would chain smoke the whole way. I took my car to be detailed inside and out. Not too expensive. But the car was so lovely and fresh and clean that It was actually a pleasure to drive through the peak hour traffic. It makes a big difference when you change your environment like that. Kind of like when you finally get all the housework done you dont want to do anything to mess it up. It is so lovely and rewarding to look at such a clean surrounding environment. Just makes you want to keep it that way. This really helped me. And guess what....I can actually see out the windscreen now. No more nicotine film making vision all blury. You can do this and so can I. I am with you. I am thinking of you. Jo xx
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
On my very first day, I have trouble driving. I don't have to do much of it, thank god but boy do I want a cigarette when I drive. Here is Houston Texas, there is almost always traffic and it is soooo boring to sit in traffic with no smoking. Has anyone found any decent helps to this problem? I had water with and candy, and I was listening to a news radio show that was about as interesting as they are going to get. Still craved something horrible. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$74,956.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6525 Hours: 13

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boy driving and smoking is like sex and alchol they seem to go hand in hand I went to tim hortons this am to get a tea not coffee and right infront of my truck is a girl smoking away and really enjoying every single drag she was taking. Honestly I think it was a ploy someone put her there. Well she did move just in time or I would of flattened her -only kidding. but the thought in my head made me laugh and forget about having one.
  • Quit Meter

$363,424.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6525 Hours: 13

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Driving was my husband's biggest trigger as well. He cranks the music and sings like a maniac while chopping on gum. I thought it would be a hard trigger for me as well, because I was like Nascarfan, I'd light a cig even if the store was right around the corner. But the difficulty of driving went away in less than a week for me. It will get easier for you, it will. The longer you persevere ... the less the trigger will bother you. Eventually it will go away. You are doing great Mama. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 614 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$54,513.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 7

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/smiley_abzw.gif[/IMG] @ Shevie! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
  • Quit Meter

$54,513.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I did the same thing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 675 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$54,513.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

We went out tonight and I saw smokers hanging their hands out of their car windows with cig in hand. No desire to smoke. Watching them seemed foreign. It was odd. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 665 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$54,513.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh mama I know how you feel, I drive a lot through my job and I can tell you which set of lights I would lite a cig at, which junction meant another cig, which carpark meant another even if I had just put one out. I found my first week really hard when driving - I drank water, turned the music up and put chewing gum where I kept my cigs so if I felt the need to reach out for one I then picked up the gum instead. Now my car is fresh and clean, I don't get my suit covered in ash, I drive along looking at other smokers ouffing away in their smoke filled car and say out loud (only I can hear) dirty @~@##**@ and that makes me laff to myself. You are doing great just think how much better you look driving along with a cig hanging from your mouth and ash all over your clothes Joanne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 744 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �145 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just been out for a drive with my Dad, lovely day here in England and I had the windows open and it was so nice not to have ash flying back into the car and Dad yelling cus I've also covered him in ash. Little things like windows open and fresh air not polluted by my own cig smoke is great and make me feel more alive Oh and the smells of summer - cut grass, flowers, tree's - wonderful Joanne [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 788 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39

Reading this thread: