Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Getting harder

18 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there Alexa, Like you, I stopped without using NRTs, and was surprised at how easy (comparatively speaking when you hear about other people's Hell Weeks) my first few weeks were. My "30'ish day slump" came completely out of the blue and lasted about half a week. It WAS worse than my first few weeks, but it was also TEMPORARY. Stay strong by remembering that you have all of the nicotine out of your system, and is alreaady recovering from the damage that years of addiction have done to it. The days will be much better before you know it. Mediatate when/if you can. Remember to breathe, and go back to your Glove Compartment when you need to. I found getting outside and walking (away from other smokers) helped alot during those rough days. I won't promise that it will be perfect when this patch passes, but (for me at least) it's been relatively smooth sailing since that 30 day slump. There was a mini version (about 1.5 days, 2 days) around the 3 month mark, but by then I was firmly committed to my quit. Just remember: You're bigger than the addiction. This WILL pass. And you've got a lot of people who are here to help. Peace, Jackey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/22/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 110 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $459.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$215,711.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 7817 Hours: 2

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I decided to reward myself on my 30th day. Went to the mall, tried on couple of skirts and left the store crying because I gained one dress size. That was the end of my reward. I don't eat junk and I work out at the the gym 4 times a week. And the nights I am not at the gym, I go for long walks with my hubby. So where this weight is coming from? Another reason to be depressed. Alexa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 337 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
Hi Thanks everyone for your kind words. I couldn't do it without your help. I want to be smoke free but it is so hard. I know, nobody said it is going to be easy. But I thought that hard part will last only a couple of weeks, then today I read on this board that it could take 18 months for cravings to stop. I don't know if I will last that long. I am taking one day at a time. Some people say that this is the wrong approach. That when you quit you should say to yourself that this is it. It is forever. I can't do that. It scares me. Maybe I am having such hard time is because I am not saying to myself that I quit forever. I don't know, I am really lost. I just know that I survived 33 days without cigarettes and this is my first quit, so I am doing something right. Am I? Thanks again for listening to me. Alexa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 336 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
That's the problem with me. I see no benefits so far. Just every day struggle with cravings and struggle with weight gain. I quit because my son said that if I won't he will not speak to me anymore (I live in NY and he lives in WI). My hubby also was after me (he quit more than 10 years ago). So, I had to quit. And I have to stick with it. The only good thing for me is pride that I feel because I was be able to quit (first time in my life). Well, also my hands don't stink like ashtray anymore. Alexa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 337 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
Hi Can somebody tell me why it is getting harder to fight cravings enstead of being easier with time. I did not use pathces, gum or any other NRT. I had much easier time in the beginning of my quit. Why? Is it going to get harder? Because if it is, I don't know if I will be able to stay quit. I am having very hard time now. It is all day urge. I had much better time in the beginning. Alexa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 324 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
I know it will pass, but when? I can't take it much longer. It is my first quit after 40+ years of smoking an d I don't know what to expect and when. Alexa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 324 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alexa! We are around the same time, so I thought I'd pop in. I too quit cold turkey, and had a not-so-tough beginning. I have not had a slump that lasted more than one day. On the onset of those craves, I came here. I read posts, lots of them. Then something I read really stuck in my head. I'm not sure of the exact words, but it did say that the more I think of this crave, the more intense it is and the longer it will stay. So, I took this advice and stopped obsessing over how I felt. I threw it out of my mind, and thought about something else. Of course, I had to walk away from the computer. I hopped on the couch, and turned on a chick flick. And 2 hours went by. Then I went for a walk with my kids. Another 40 minutes went by. Then I made a grocery list. That is a long one for me, as I compare stores and look through cookbooks for new meals. Before I knew it, 4 hours flew by. I then went on with my day as usual. Busy. Doing laundry is difficult for me - the garage is where I smoked. I smoked while I did the laundry. However, I had to realize - I have to do my regular routine sometime. Why delay? So I just do it. I have to get over it. I will survive putting the clothes into the washer without a cig in my fingers. It sound so ridiculous now. But there are everyday things that pop up that I say I have to get over it. And I just do them. One at a time. Anyhow, Lady made a perfect point. The crave is only as powerful as you make it. Since the nico is out of your system, you are now battling your addiction. Which, at times, it really tough. However, it is only as tough as YOU make it. You can control your mind and thoughts and actions. Only give not smoking all that power! Remember to reward yourself too. Why not throw in an extra reward? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,125 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120.99 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alexa, Please go back and reread your words in the posts here. You keep focusing and looking for the negative. I am very close to the 30 days, and I can tell you one thing for sure. IF I WERE LOOKING EACH DAY FOR THE NEGATIVE, I WOULD SURELY FIND IT WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL. Stop! Stop... S t o p - dear one. Gentle down the energy around you. Be kinder to yourself. You are complaining about weight gain (I sure know that one too as that has been a part of my process). Soooo - I walk the mall each day, what are you going to do about the extra weight? - NOW - what about putting on your fighting boots, and as they say here - lace them up tight and get out there and fight for YOUR Quit! If you don't fight, there is no Quit. That I can tell you for sure too. THIS IS YOUR LIFE HERE YOU ARE FIGHTING FOR ... When you went to reward yourself you ended up upset and taking the reward away from yourself and crying?? What? How is all of this sounding to you from this post? Can you see how you are sabotaging yourself here? No reward because you were crying because you gained weight??? You are looking for and expecting a perfect world here, dear one. Well this is Quit time - there is NO perfect world. Now do you want to stay Quit? None of us can help you until you KNOW, WITHOUT A DOUBT, that you are determined to stay Quit. And your Quit has to be for YOU not because someone threatened you they would never speak to you again if you didn't quit. (Do those words even sound right to you?) You said and I quote "I see no benefits so far" - YOU ARE NOT SMOKING - YOU HAVE STAYED QUIT - where are you? Check in w/yourself, dear one, please... Take some time and get yourself centered... We are all here for you, BUT you have to be the one to take the journey, and it is a hell of a journey. I started a thread about rewards, Alexa, under "stats" - go there and post, and GIVE YOURSELF YOUR REWARD. Stop crying and being upset, stand TALL and face this addiction with all you have. Fight Sista, Fight!!! Love and Light - Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,355 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $176.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi alexa - Sorry I'm coming in late - didn't see this post till now. We are very close in our Quit time, I think I am a couple of days ahead of you, so we are RIGHT THERE WITH EACH OTHER, dear one! HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOURSELF. Take that helpless feeling and turn it right into anger - anger at the junkie~ Stand up *straight* in front of that junkie and say NO! N.O.P.E. Not this time, Not Now, Not Anymore! Let that junkie idiot know YOU are now in charge of YOUR life, PERIOD. Some advice that got me through - get into your favorite jammies, hold on to yourself and you hold on to that Quit with everything, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING YOU HAVE. And you keep coming here and posting and reading and posting (and reading more and more). I am on the messenger, if you need me let me know and I will sign in. Just dig your heals in, and stay there. You are not a smoker, so smoking is NOT an option. Walking helps me sooooooooo much - and the more frustrated I am, the more angry I am, the stronger the crave, the faster I walk. I just walk till its all walked off - try it, it works! JUST DON'T SMOKE! Many Special Blessings! Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,331 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $176.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alexa, I was getting ready to post and Martha's thread came in, Martha you and I are on the same page. I was sitting here thinking, Who's quit is this? Is it Alexa's husband's, Alexa's son's or is it Alexa's??? Alexa, I'm not being critical, I would never do that. But you said your son said he was not going to speak to you again unless you quit smoking. I know it's because he loves you but not put very nicely. Your husband of all people shoud know what you are going through. But he too want it so badly for you. But we all know that you are the only one that can do this. BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN DO THIS!! Oh man, you have already gone through so much. Try not to look at the past because it will only hold you back. I have been thinking a lot about how deep are our roots, our quit's are like a tree that start out fragil but the longer they stand the the roots spread out and make them very strong as the years pass by. And that is the same with our quits, the longer we stand our roots give us strength to survive. Alexa, I'm believing with you that you will start letting your roots grow deep within you so you can survive. You CAN do this!!!!! Blessing of light sent to you, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,628 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $332.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$229,903.31

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 0

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: