Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Only the Shadow Knows

11 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I was quitting, it helped me to know that "it could be done" and that there is "life after quitting".  Fear is a big factor - fear that life may not be so enjoyable - that cigarette sitting out watching the sunset....or whatever your moment is,  But guess what - the cigarette doesn't matter - it's even better without.  Showing it can be done gives courage to others - more than words can say.

Lizzie
  • Quit Meter

$8,854.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 783 Hours: 10

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep. When I started my whole quitting process, I figured there would be stuff like this coming up. Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised at how little drama there has been. I was anticipating a psycho year, full of crazy ups and downs. There have been fewer downs than I expected, and the ups have been on a deeper, more fulfilling level than in the past. Overall, I am truly grateful to be alive right now. ...But I will still express when I'm having one of those hard days. 

So, back to the original message from this thread. You had noted how we affect others with our actions. My roommate, who received all of my leftover cigarettes a while back, has also decided to quit. According to him, he's been tapering off and has only had 3 smokes in the past 2 weeks. (Yeah, I told him it would be easier for him to just do none at this point, but he may need to go through the learning experience to get it.) He also came and asked me for my leftover nicotine lozenges and patches. (I had only used one patch, but that's another story.) They weren't for him, as he is pretty much done. Instead, they were for a friend of his that has also been inspired to quit. ...So, yeah, this quitting business seems to be contagious.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,546.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 17

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working on it:

That's not good...But you and I both know that no matter what the difficulty, no matter what we feel, no matter what we fear, no matter what demons or angels our mind summons, that it is all transient.  Yes, this is a painful world and yes we will experience all manner of "slings and arrows" And it is never pleasant when the hard times come calling. 

But we also know that smoking is not the answer.  Yes, it will give a kind of temporary relief.  But it also sets us up on a very real and harmful cycle that is difficult to break.  It is much better in these times to breath deeply. go for a walk, find a fellow traveler, or simply stare at the stars.  I think sometimes when we are upset by something, we want an answer and we want it now, because it is much to painful to stay in that state.  But maybe we are upset simply because the mind has not yet had sufficient time to work through the source of our anguish.  Maybe it is best just to distract ourselves for a bit until our mental processes can catch up with what ever is going on in our life at that moment in time.

Take the time to work through this thing, sans cigarettes,  and all will be well...

stay well

nonic 
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 9

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Workin'!!!

Keep hanging in there, buddy!!!  Quitting really is a "long strange trip"!  After more than 5 years on my journey, I'm still learning.  Stay strong... we'll make it to the top of quit mountain one of these days. 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nonic,

I just want you to know that I so appreciate your writing, even when I don't have a verbal response to it.  Sometimes, I feel that adding my words after yours might almost diminish the message.

However, the story I've been working on is partially a result of the self examination that your posts encourage. While writing this week, I've been running into some vulnerability within myself that I don't really like. It has inflamed that desire to go outside and inhale some smoke to get the tears under control. ...Finding this post and your follow up comments this week has helped me to resist that urge. 

Thanks.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,546.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 17

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Viv:

I know that's a hard fought 13 weeks and you should be very proud of the achievement.  No one knows how difficult this can be until they go through it...Cessation is about a lot of things but most of all it is about self respect...We do not have to hurt ourselves in order to accept ourselves.  Cigarettes do nothing for us, but keep us under the impression that we need them in order to navigate the trials of a truly difficult world.  That is the lie. 

The truth is that smoking does nothing for us  and ultimately damages our bodies. It is an addiction that is deeply rooted in our body's chemistry and we must understand that from a physical view point and also from a spiritual perspective.  For me those two strands of knowledge are essential and once grasped form the wings upon which we fly to freedom...

stay well

nonic  
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Nonic, I came hear tonight just to record my delight at completing a whole 90 days, 13 weeks yes, one quarter of a year of freedom from smoking! Having done that I find your inspirational thoughts. It takes me to another level of understanding. I may have a long way to go, but the more ammunition I have the easier my quest it becomes. Thanks Viv
  • Quit Meter

$28,428.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 515 Hours: 14

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Samantha:

Thank you for your kind words...These are things that I have in my old journal that I think have some relevance.  Unfortunately or should I say fortunately, I no longer have cravings or anything of that nature.  But what I do have are these bits and pieces that are echoes of a time when I did suffer mightily through that cold dark night.  Perhaps there is something in them that is of use to others...

Everybody experiences this trial in different ways but there remains a certain sameness that is at the heart of the problem.  This is particularly true for people who suffer from depression and anxiety.  For those poor souls (of which I am one) smoking is a very bad choice because it provides relief in a way that is ultimately more harmful then the symptoms which keep us in chains...It is better to face the demons, then to physically destroy ourselves with a pseudo solution that is ultimately more harmful than any ghosts of the mind and soul...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello nonic, 

Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautiful post and choosing to share it with us. Your insightful words continue to inspire new and older members a like. 

All the best,

Samantha, Health Educator
Jim:

Thanks for the good words...It may be beneficial for you to be busy, being so will keep you out of trouble...5 years already...Wow I am getting old...But that is sure nice to know...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter