Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Irrational Fear

13 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump
  • Quit Meter

$56,815.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 6

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
eya:

Looks like you have the right idea on this quitting.  The one point to remember is that there is an affinity on a chemical level between nicotine and alcohol.  That is the reason that a great many people, have a few drinks and all of a sudden, find themselves back in the arms of old man nicotine.  There are social factors involved (companionship, interactions with valued friends etc.) but underlining all of that is the fact that chemically nicotine and go together like peanut butter and jelly. 

Beware of drinking during your initial quit.  Over time you will be able to separate the two, but in the beginning that combination can easily lead to trouble.  Don't get all crazy about it, but put that in the back of your mind and understand the scope of the addiction.

Keep going on this, there are many unexpected rewards for you along the way...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 18

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What an insightful post, Eya. You are doing so well. Keep it up.

All of you are so inspirational. So wonderful to read!

Tiana, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

$79,476.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 14

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
**Big ole bear hugs JoDee and eya**

eya, I'm sorry for your losses... I guess what I'm about to say is kind of selfish... Your words really inspired me, though... Like you said, these past couple of weeks have really shown me how strong I can be without the cancer sticks... And I bet it feels really good to realize how strong you really are... You're going through Hell...and you're doing it without a crutch.

JoDee, I hear you on the irrational fears. I'm prone to them with or without the cigarettes (mostly without). Ohhhh man it's been crazy since Feb. 4th!!! I've been seeing things, hearing things...name a sense and it's messed up. Hell, I might do this quitting thing again just to feel this stoned, again, for free! (JUST KIDDING!!!!) Seriously, what I'm trying to say is that I think irrational thoughts are normal once in a while, and that they will pass with time, just like cravings do. I was thinking of a way I would counter a thought like that... I mean, obviously, your body is healing itself... but when it's hard to believe that, see if it helps to tell your inner junkie that you're not gonna do take any ADDITIONAL risks. Nope, no way, no how.

Heh... To think I logged in here all angry, full of hot air, about to light up because I stubbed my toe. (LOL!) Always a humbling and inspiring experience around the corner. To be fair, I REALLY stubbed my toe. Like, frozen-veggies-on-the-foot, glad-I-have-the-day-off-tomorrow, wish-I-had-medical-insurance stubbed my toe. But still... nothin' like you guys have got going on. So if y'all can hold on, so can I!!!

So hooooold on!!!
JoDee

Keep working on this thing...You will find unexpected revelations...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi JoDee, 
You're fear is not irrational.

For me quitting was all about the release from addiction so health benefits that ensued where a complete bonus.

If quitting for health reasons, there would be nothing more rewarding than a clean bill of heath + watching your progress through keeping track of your physical (& emotional) changes here at the SSC where you can measure your quality of life gained.

fwiw, the journey to a non-smoker is pretty amazing..... 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months & 12 months, 2 years & so. They are all milestones & i'm shure you will be surprised at the remarkable healing that goes on when free from nicotine dependancy.

The human body  is an amazing thing !
  • Quit Meter

$12,506.22

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 16

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Shevie and Nonic for those kind words - I was a mess over this thing the past few days - I didn't anticipate this outcome with our new little friend - I felt like I'd somehow brought even more grief into my family's lives at a raw emotional time by bringing kitty home at all!  You're right Shevie - out kitty did need someone to love him fully and completely through his short stay on earth - and we surely did that! Thanks for that win-win perspective! Nonic - you're right! Smoking can't change anything, but Not smoking changes everything - when I chose Not to Smoke & Drink myself into oblivion over this, I realized I had more strength than I knew!  I faced the grief head on & more issues surfaced regarding my Dad's death & worrying about my Mom being on her own now. I used to try to be a 'funny' and thought I was indestructible, & could smoke/drink forever and somehow beat the odds. But it was a veil that masked the truth; I never dealt with anything that way! So this NOPE attitude along with this wonderful SSC network really can change everything!  Off to work now! Much to do today! Hope you're having a  great NOPE weekend too 
eya

Great job on the quit...One way to think about it is to always remember that smoking changes nothing at all, cessation on the other hand changes everything.  It's a one day at a time thing, but eventually those days do become weeks and finally years.  In time, you will wonder why you ever smoked at all...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eya, don't overlook the joy you brought to the kitten's life, too.  It was a mutual giving situation, a win-win where all gained love and comfort.  Brief but meaningful, and at just the right time for both.  Perhaps your dad needs a kitten.  Perhaps the kitten has carried your love to your Dad.  Regardless, it is all perfect and as it should be.
13 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much for the replies Pen and Aloha - You're right of course Pen; sleep does bring on a new day with new perspective - your reply came at a good time - I did sleep a bit after many reads. The sun is shining outside today.  Aloha - I did come to realizer our kitty's life was destined to be short - nothing could be done for his congenital heart defect - but oh how we loved him at a time when he was most needed here.  And he loved us to bits too!  A gem and an angel to share in each other's journey in the circle of life; Bittersweet it can be; but oh so worth it.  Thanx Pen for reminding me that it's okay to be proud that I am still smoke free going into weekend 3!  NOPE NOPE NOPE!

Reading this thread: