Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Worst day so far

13 years ago 0 331 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone!  Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends! 
Sparky: I think we quit together last time I quit and I am very happy to see you back on here.  Actually I am very happy that both of us are back on here.  I agree that you can only focus on one difficult thing at a time.  Right now we are focusing on the quit so don't bite off more than you can chew...take it easy for now.  My personal experience both times has been that once I feel confident in my quit then I can try working out and watching what I eat.  I tried to diet several times while I was still smoking and never really made it more than 1 day.  I find that with this quit I have more energy, stamina, etc so I have started working out and it's lasting more than a day this time.  So....although doing both at the same time can be frustrating it certainly becomes easier once you are quit.  I think when we compare the two that it is probably easier to lose weight than it is to quit smoking.  Whatever you decide to do....congrats on your quit!  You are doing awesome. 

Alice: glad to hear you had a good night.  You are further along in your quit so I can understand why things are frustrating right now.  Just remember that it won't last forever and you now have more moments of freedom and your cravings have decreased.  Due to that you need to keep your guard up so that you don't become overally frustrated to give yourself an excuse to smoke.  You just gave yourself another pat on the back for getting through the frustration and NOT NEEDING nicotine to get you through it.  I have not read or seen the movie yet so based on your post I think I will buy the book as a reward. 

Have a wonderful day everyone!
13 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alice, Happy Thanksgiving.  I am so sorry I so late on this, but you did it and I for one am so proud of you.  Why we having cravings is part of the process.  You stayed strong and didn't give in.  The weight thing is a big reason why I have lost so many quits, so not worth it.  I should have listen to others and focus on my quit and then my weight later. I know of many here who concentrated on their quit and now have lost all of there weight plus some more.  Just, and I am doing this, track your food and water intake.  I wear a pedometer and I go to Curves.  If I am doing right things, then right things will happen.

Keep the Quit
Sparky
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ojmas:  thanks...I enjoyed the dinner and wine.  It was very relaxing

Freedomby30:  last night was much needed.  It felt good to just forget about all the stress in my life and to just be enjoy the night.  I watched "eat, prey, love" (total chick flick) and it was just what I needed

Collina:  congrats on 25 days!  Those days are really starting to stack up   I must admit that sometimes I feel like such a fake.  One moment I seem on top of the world giving others advice, congratulating them on their success, and acacknowledging all the benefits of not smoking....but there are times that I feel alone, unwilling to take others advice (not even my own), and dwelling on all the great moments of smoking.  It's a real frustrating process.  But, I am glad we are all here to share in it together.  Good luck tomorrow....You can do it!  It will feel so good to get through it smoke free.

Good Night All,

Alice
13 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Alice,
  I was surprised to see your posting, but also relieved. There was a point yesterday or the day before when the craving was gripping me and I imagined myself smoking, just a puff I told myself.  Can I do this; I asked.  URGHG!!! So frustrating, I thought this was supposed to get easier, everyone says it is, maybe this isn't my time to quit, my brain was going around and around. I thought I was the only one, we all put on such a strong face, words of encouragement, but this is really, really hard. It's like I don't think of smoking as often, but that also means my guard is down when the urge hits and is so powerful.
  Reading your posting brought me back to reality, and forgotten words of wisdom. This is a journey, not a quick 10 round fight. We are on this journey, and we will keep the quit.
  I am spending the holiday with smokers tomorrow, a bit nerve wracking, only because I know I"ll be cranky, I won't smoke, but it won't be easy.
  Thanks for being real, talk to you soon.
Collina
How was your evening Alice? 
13 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Enjoy your dinner and wine! Another day down...
13 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the support and advice  It made today a much brighter day

I have decided to take tonight off.  Putting the books aside, eating a delicious dinner, having a glass of wine, and watching a movie.  I haven't really been rewarding myself through this process  I just keep putting it off but I think my body, my mind and my soul need a little TLC.

Have a great Tuesday Everyone.  To another smoke free day

~Alice
13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Alice,

YES!  Woooo hoooooo!

Ok, I know that is probably not the response you were expecting but do you realize how strong you are being?  You have so many doubts and concerns yet you are still smoke free.  You are still fighting and even more importantly you are still reaching out for support.  This takes so much determination and resourcefulness.  Be proud of yourself for getting through today and give yourself a reward!  You deserve it.

Cravings can continue late into a quit.  Know that they will pass and it will get easier.  Some weight gain can occur while quitting for a number of reasons.  One is that quitting can cause constipation, drink lots of water and eat plenty of fiber. Also, your metabolism might be slower now that you have quit smoking.  Finally, without realizing it you might be snacking more, watch for hidden calories in juices, condiments and little things you grab throughout the day, it can really add up.  The good news is many former smokers find it easier to lose the weight once they are quit.  They feel better, have more energy and can breathe easier; making it more comfortable for them to exercise and begin to lead a more active lifestyle.

When it comes to being emotional, this is another common quitter concern.  This can be due to the chemical changes your body is going through.  Also, you now no longer have cigarettes to help you cope.  Smoking is a maladaptive coping mechanism, you probably used it to deal with difficult emotions.  You may have taken a break to have a smoke when you were angry,  taking those few minutes to yourself to deep breath can be relaxing.  Now that you can no longer do that, you need to find new, healthier ways to cope.  Talk to a friend, come here to post, take a 5 minute walk or deep breath.  It will take time to learn knew coping strategies but it will help in the long term success of your quit.

Keep posting, venting and fighting.  You are doing great!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Alice!  Congrats!  Although you may have had a bad day, you turned it into a great one because it was a day that you chose not to smoke.  The brain does have a funny way of playing mind games but you knew better and you did better.  Think about the last 39 days....I'm sure there was a day or two (or an hour, moment, situation) that seemed overwhelming, made you angry, upset, etc but you did not need the smoke as you knew that it would not change things.  Keep that in mind going forward...smoking will NOT change those feelings or situations that come up.  Take comfort in knowing that you have done amazing so far and that you will continue to do amazing as you armed with all the resources and your own ways of coping.  Sorry if you were just venting and didn't need a response but I am so glad you posted and each experience is different.  Keep up the great work girl!  You are doing it....one day at a time!

Remember:  Be Calm, Be Strong, Be Grateful. 
13 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do hope today is better for you. Just remember, sometimes you just gotta take one day at a time. And expect life!

Reading this thread: