Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

please be honest

15 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had no cravings after 90 days, I think I even made a post about it.
I thought I would later get a stray craving, but I never did.

Cigarettes are disgusting

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 701
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,731
Amount Saved: $3,802.93
Life Gained:
Days: 113 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: 17

15 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brat,

I am getting to the stage now where I do not even remember smoking!  However, I do remember quitting.  It is a really gradual process, and even after you have been clean for some weeks, you can still have bad days and good days, and bad moments if you get an unexpected trigger.

I think that you have to experience all your smoking triggers and lay down new non-smoking memories before you are totally free.  So when you have a crave, think "Great, I can now lay down new non-smoking memories so that this is yet another trigger that gets killed"  Over time you should kill pretty much all of them!  So most of them get killed in the first 6 months, but you will still have the residual odd one that hits you when you don't expect it.

Be proud of those 5 months - AWESOME.  You have done the hard work and have all the benefits to look forward to.

Lizzie  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/23/2003
Smoke-Free Days: 2172
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 32,580
Amount Saved: �8,145.00
Life Gained:
Days: 230 Hrs: 1 Mins: 3 Seconds: 8

• Quit Meter

$8,845.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 782 Hours: 15

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Some say.... a quitter needs to go through all the seasons to experienced life as non smoker.... so 1 year. It will definately make a difference as it establishes a good 'foothold', 2 years is even better.

After 3 years i no longer think of cigarettes. When i smell a smoker these days i  feel sorry for them, as i've experienced first hand how trapped they must feel.

By not lighting that next cigarrete, you are making a long term investment into your future. One that will save you money & life. It's going to change you emotionally & physically, your outlook on life will never be the same.. & thats just the start.

Time will break down the emotional / physical dependancy you have to nicotine addiction. What method & how long depends on the quitter & attitude.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2005
Smoke-Free Days: 1553
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 54,355
Amount Saved: $14,132.30
Life Gained:
Days: 218 Hrs: 22 Mins: 25 Seconds: 15

• Quit Meter

$12,476.94

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 624 Hours: 8

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rock.........Very well said!!!!

Brat....Am glad you posted back to reassure the new folks here.  I agree 100% with you.  I was afraid posting would scare the people just beginning this journey but I found that a lot of folks go through some ups and downs for a while.  It does get easier as a whole but there can be those days that you have to keep your guard up for. 

I hope things improve each day for you and thanks for sharing your experience.  I am sure you have helped some people.

Good Wishes

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 499
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,485
Amount Saved: $1,684.13
Life Gained:
Days: 81 Hrs: 9 Mins: 29 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brat, what you've taught all of the newbies and reinforced us not so newbies is that quitting is a journey.  The pesky nicodemon still lurks around.  So many dedicated quitters got tempted and said "One won't hurt".  Unfortunately, that one turned into many and they lost their quit.  The good thing is they jumped back up on the horse and started over.  Thats why I say take it one day at a time.  There will be temptations, stresses, urges, dreams, memories, triggers, anything and everything to draw you back in.  The important thing is that you take it one day at a time.  Keep telling yourself N.O.P.E. (not one puff ever) each and every day!  That is why rewards are so important.  Our brains still need that happy reward feeling that used to be provided by nicotine.  Keep rewarding yourself daily!  Thanks for reminding all of us that this is one of the most important journeys in our lives!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 223
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,920
Amount Saved: $1,784.00
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 8 Mins: 52 Seconds: 36

15 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Any newbie reading these posts would probably flip out thinking five months and still going crazy? what I mean to say is it does get easier as you go along, there are some good days and some bad but there is in your life also, with or without smoking. I may be crying the blues right now but I also am very proud of my quit. Please any new people don`t read into this more than is there, in each month we all face new things in our fight for freedom. I am just having some problems at this point in my quit. Needed to know others face the same feelings at some point.
We all knew is was not going to be easy but again, it does indeed get easier as you learn how to cope. Thanks all for the advice, it helped.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 165
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,125
Amount Saved: $1,320.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 9 Mins: 1 Seconds: 2

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brat,

You have received lots of excellent input and varied opinions on cravings. As you can see, you are not alone in your struggle and the key is in remembering that the demon is always lurking in the background............so you must always keep your guard up!

Perhaps the intensity and frequency of the cravings will diminish, but as many have pointed out, the thoughts still come and go.

Review all your reasons for quitting and keep them with you so that you can read and reread them whenever you experience a moment of weakness.

You did the right thing by reaching out so post often and let us know how you are doing.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for the posts, I am so happy to know I am not the only one who still gets the craves, I was really starting to think it was not worth it but it has reinforced my will to keep my quit and i don`t feel so alone. thanks all.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 165
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,125
Amount Saved: $1,320.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 7 Mins: 59 Seconds: 45

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey brat........

It was about my 5th month when I really went through the worst part of my quitting experience.  I was so tired of fighting the craves, anxiety and depression had set in quite deep.  I was ready to start smoking again but the fear of going through this again stopped me I guess.  I was afraid to post here because I thought I was just being weak,  my attitude was bad,  I wasn't trying hard enough, etc, etc,.  I would read here and feel a little jealous of the people who seemed to be doing so well.  What was I doing wrong?  The bottom line for me is that it just took longer.  We are all wired a  little differently.  Stopping smoking for me uncovered some emotional baggage that I needed to work through.

Well, now in hindsight.  Things have improved.  I don't think about smoking all the time.  Sometimes I get a crave yet but I know it will pass shortly.  Time has helped.

Keep posting about this if it helps you.  There is comfort in knowing others are walking the road with you.

Good Wishes to you

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 498
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,470
Amount Saved: $1,680.75
Life Gained:
Days: 81 Hrs: 5 Mins: 15 Seconds: 6

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Brat, as said we are all different, the cravings i think come from the addiction, tho we wont actually crave anymore because the nicotine has left our bodies , we still have that addiction in our minds, now as for me iam a die hard, to this day i will walk out of a store, or someplace and think for a split instant, that iam gonna have a smoke and then i think where in the hell did that come from ?? but its not craves just my old mind. Good Luck and just hang tough, hard to explain until you start living the quit, just dont give up, there is nothing like Hell week that is for sure :)  Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2427
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 58,248
Amount Saved: $10,193.40
Life Gained:
Days: 315 Hrs: 6 Mins: 10 Seconds: 14

Reading this thread: