Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Progress

17 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am like you,, I have smoked over 2 packs a day for 29 years, tried few times but no success in quiting, came across this site and to be honest i need somewhere to just talk,, it is hard, i have set a date in 8 days, but today I started cutting back and so far If I make it with only 10 cig. today i will be doing great, but nerves shot, i had dr. give my buspirone he gave me the buspirone sr, i noticed they say zyban is the same as buspirone on the web sites, but think there is two different kinds,,, anyway might also try the chantix they say use both together for best results,,, might give it a shot for a month,,, than go alone with nothing,,, good luck to you [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks tutti,,,i needed that,, having hard time, had health problems for past year and i just decided i would quit,,,, tried but never suceeded, hope i can make it..... i enjoy the post and they help to just read them
17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. I'm not sure if everything that could go wrong did, or if it just feels that way. I still haven't been able to get past the 24 hr mark. Actually I only get to about 15. But I am not going to give up. So I don't know where that leaves me. People who know me are saying that it is really progress for me to get to where I am, but I know that it has to be more, because if it isn't going forward it will be going backward. I was so convinced that I could get thro it over the weekend because usually there is less expected of me during that time and I can "hole up", so to speak. But my driveway was compromised with ice and snow/slush issues. I have an outdoor dog who got loose from her pen, and I can't get her back there til some of the ice jam moves. She had been going to work with me and spent one night in the house, which I thought was great, but she didn't approve, so the next night she slept in my van. Fine. But the next night she wanted to get out, and took all the upholstry off the passenger front door and ate the lock. I finally thought I would get out on Sunday to get some candy/food supplies, and I fell in a hole that my son had been stuck in. It had turned to slush in the hole, and oh that isn't really all important. Really the important thing is that I can't seem to figure these things out. I'm like a child. I was more capable when I was 11 or 12 and started smoking on a regular basis! Ok, so now that begins to make sense, and also perhaps explains why I am having all these "old tape" memories that feel more like time-traveling than memories--or flashbacks or something. I mean it isn't really scary but it is debilitating, cause it is like I am gone for a period of time. Like I said before, I've done this before with other things, but it feels really hard to go back to this (on a deeper level, I am sure) after 20 years. And I DO believe that this is progress, but it doesn't feel like progress, and while I am not coughing like I was, and my lungs feel much better, the people who don't understand addiction are saying "What is WRONG with you??!!" Now I AM lucid enough to know that all this stuff ran on like a rabbit or something, and ok, I am remembering that I have to stop looking back and focus on w
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I am glad you have made it this far. And I can say is, when you hit hour 15, go to bed LOL When you wake up, it may just be Tuesday and then you will start to feel better. Good Luck Freedombound, I am here for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 514 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Freedombound, I'm so glad to see your post. I enjoy your posts and can tell that it's helping you to type out your feelings. Keep right on doing that. Do whatever it takes. You really need to stick close to this site at the beginning. When you hit 15 hours and feel like you can't go any further, come back here and tell us how you're feeling. We'll be on our way because Lord knows, we all know how this addiction will mistreat a body and mind. You'll have to do the work and you know that but, we're here to listen, support you, and encourage you in every way. Writing your thoughts and feelings is very therapeutic. So is getting mad and fussing at the cravings. When you feel that crave come and it's so hard NOT to light up, get mad about it. Tell that "Nicodemon" that he's NOT going to win. Tell him that you're stronger. Tell him whatever you want to tell him so that you can blow off that steam. It really does help. And drink lots and lots of water. Keep talking to us, okay? You CAN do this and we're here for you. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 827 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
Hey Progress, There are others who will be along to talk to you about meds that they have taken during their quit. I had to go cold turkey because I couldn't take NRT's due to health reasons. What I'd like to say is congratulations on having that desire to quit and working towards that quit. Please vent all that you want or need to and remember, we're all here for you. You CAN do this. Drink lots and lots of water. It helps to flush your system and helps with cravings. Keep in touch and you hang in there. Read a lot of posts and you post as much as you want. We're here. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
Freedombound, Listen to Jnine there. Before you smoke, do come here and vent. Jnine is sooooo right there. Go to the forum Coping with Withdrawals and look for the thread, "Gloom, Despair, and Agony On Me." ha ha ha It's funny now when I read it but OH!!! it was NOT funny then. I posted that on Day 3 and if our buddies here hadn't come a runnin', I really don't think I would have made it through that day. So, read that post from my Day 3 and then you have it in mind to vent, vent, vent all that you need to. Jnine is soooo right there. You CAN do this and we've got your back!!! Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 851 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 247 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
oh freedombound, You are really fighting mayby harder than you have to. You are letting the nicotine controll you as it does everyone. Yes this is the hardest thing you will ever have to do. You really have to want it and I think you do. Keep trying (no I will say keep quitting) If you just try you will fail. We all understand your frustration and the thoughts that go through your head. Come here and vent before you smoke. We all feel for you and understand. FIGHT BACK (YOU CAN DO THIS) Let us know how things are going. HUGS&more HUGS what ever it takes we are here. Jnine :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,077 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $145.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
freedombound You are trying so hard and I know that you will do this. I wish I could take this burden from you, but I can't. I know you won't feel this yet, but if I could do that I would be stealing a very valuable and insightful experience from you. One of the reasons that you are having a bit of a time is that you are still learning about junkie thinking. It is the junkie in us that says, "oh you can't possibly do this now, because of this or that or the other thing". However, as you get your plan in perspective you will begin to recognize the junkie that is in all of us. And once you clearly recognize how our junkie selves communicate with us, you will be able to silence that voice and CHOOSE NOT TO SMOKE. My sense of what quitting is all about has a great deal to do with perspective and the ability to shift one's mental process to a slightly different place. For years our perspective has been all about 3 things WHEN CAN I NEXT SMOKE WHEN CAN I NEXT SMOKE and WHEN CAN I NEXT SMOKE Now we have to quietly, but firmly teach ourselves how to CHOOSE not to smoke. Make no mistake this is a conscious decision, each and every bloody time that you must battle the addiction, you do so consciously and with a warrior's heart. The good news is that IT DOES GET EASIER. However, you don't know what EASIER actually feels like until you come down the road a ways. There are few things in this life that I will guarantee, but here is one. If you PRACTISE the act of not smoking enough times, eventually you will say "why didn't I do this years ago"...It does take practise and in the beginning, you will find it difficult. I'm sure there are skills that you have gathered over a life time, and how many of those did you master in one session? This skill is particularly difficult because the addiction has attatched itself to both our bodies and our minds. We must work on two levels, the spiritual and the physical at the same time. I don't know about you, but that is a tall order for me... Please take your time and work toward setting a quit date, I believe that you can do this, and so do a whole bunch of other folks here...Now we need you to agree and we'll move this thing forward... Stay well, I think you are beautiful for traveling this
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
freedombound, This is the beginning for You! Awakening the inner you who wants to be free. there are many of us here to help you when you are ready. Prepare yourself with education at this site. use the tools on the left, and read,read, read the postings. Post your quit date and let us know how you are coming. auntdeb ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42

Reading this thread: