Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,788 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

crave without a cause

17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone... good post, and good points to ponder. I've spent most of my adult life taking care of other people, including their feelings. I've not spent much time thinking, caring or nurturing myself in ways that count. By rewarding yourself along the way in your quit, you learn that you are actually taking care of yourself, and distancing yourself from the love-hate relationship you have been participating in for so long. From the posts I've read written by our Mature x-smokers, I believe them when they say it gets better and better.. and it's a mental, emotional, and sometimes spritual growth. That's my two cents on a lazy, cold, snowy Sunday. Still no smokin' here, and there won't be. I divorced it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 148 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27.02 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nonic - Nice post. Very deep thoughts. My thoughts on nicotine addiction don't run quite as deep as yours, though. Much like the drug and alcohol addictions that I kicked, quitting another is just black and white to me. There are no feelings or deep thoughts involved with me. I quit another drug. I will feel empty for awhile and I'm OK with that. I will get back to my old self real soon. I think that my way of dealing with it is not think so much about it. That's my way, anyway. As I read through the years of desparate posts here, I sometimes wonder if we're all just making way too much of this. Is it just stuck in our heads that it has to be this hard to quit? Are multiple relapses always inevitable? Are we feeding each others' fears? Picture this, you end up on a deserted island with plenty of food and water to survive, how long would you obsess about not having cigarettes? Sometimes I think we all play into the hype of addiction. -- 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 557 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $104.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$358,076.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9161 Hours: 11

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"yeah, I know baby". How come we haven't hear from you TIMETOFINDMYWILLPOWER? Are you working on day 9? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 199 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
Don't worry, it's not a physical pain, though it might as well be. It's in the "other" category. I'm with 2Tone right now. I'm not thinking about it right now. B/c thank god, I don't have to. My goal right now is to not place a rolled up tobacco stick into my mouth or anywhere else. period. And, thank god, I'm doing that. But, every once in a while - when i slow down a minute, i can feel the pull. it's like a string connected to my chest. it's up to me to do the right thing and the right thing is in no way to smoke. so I just feel it. i say to myself "yea, i know - baby". and i continue NOT SMOKING. I'm on day, whatever, and i just keep on going. i think it's all gonna fall into place. to over-analyze would be to sabotage. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
A lot of times I can feel it in my chest. Not quite a pain, rather a pull that keeps up. My hand wants to grab a cigarette, telling my brain that it will help. Right now I'm doing a pretty good job of ignoring my hand. I'm thinking that eventually my wires will get re-programmed. Nice post. Proud of your smoke-free day. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 167 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some powerful words. What do they say to me. I feel your discomfort. I also feel you have strength to realize that what you have been doing and thinking just isn't working for you anymore, and that there is a different way. I have been struggling the past few months with slipping, quitting, slipping, quitting. I tried to explain it to someone that it was like a bad relationship - an abusive one - where I knew it was bad for me, but I knew no other way to give myself love, but to bang my head against the wall. Suddenly I woke up thinking - hey, why are you banging your head against the wall? Maybe there is another way - banging your head against the wall hurts too. So stop doing it. Stay away from the wall. If you bang your head against the wall - yes - it will hurt. (Well you get my meaning I guess) Someone else said to me....Maybe you don't have to climb the mountain, go around it. There is more than one path. You will find your way. Keep your eye on the horizon. Peace to you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 93 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$330,794.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6033 Hours: 22

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is EXACTLY what I was getting at Nonic. I'm choosing to end the love-hate relationship. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/10/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 94 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$330,794.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6033 Hours: 22

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: