Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

woe is me - an ex-smoker in need

17 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kiwi I hear ya. My quality of life dropped after quitting. Fat, no energy, complete misery. I had to go back. Now I'm in a pickle. I need surgury. I need a bad boob job fixed and those idiots are making me go off again. Infuriated. I dont mean to be negative either. I know some will make it and be okay for them but I have big resentments about the smoking police. I have to put that aside for now and become humble and ask for help. Whether I stay off after the surgury who knows. I will give it another try and become fanatic runner to keep weight under control. Hoping to change my mind but have to be where I'm at right now. If its a choice between smoking and being fat. I will smoke. You have two years under your belt so hang on for a while. Give it another year at least since you have come this far. It might be better this time next year. I was off 8 months and gained 40 pounds. eeeeeeeeeeeeeek. And I ran every day during that time. Did not overeat and still gained. It went up and there was no stopping it Cranky
17 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?forum=1&topic=30764 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 603 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �150 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not as far into my quit as you, and by the way, congratulations!! Outstanding job. I understand the neat freak mentality. Maybe you should try some hobbies that are relaxing...some great books, magazines, organizing your picture albums, starting a collection of some kind. Or....you can come to my house and help me get organized and cleaned up....I'm still working my way around all the closets..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 337 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Kiwi, I have to repeat what has been said in the other posts here.. I too think that there is something else going on in your life that needs to be resolved. Look how very well you've done with your quit! Smoking is not going to make you more relaxed etc. Smoking is not the answer to the way you say you have changed -- not that drastically, not with so much negativity. Look deep within and see if you can find the answers to what is really making you feel this way. I wish you all the best and please come back and let us know what your thoughts are regarding our posts. We are trying to help out in the best way we can. Our support is here for you... Monica58 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 448 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $198 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Kiwi -- I think you're spot on about the addiction, and as tough as it is, do you really think slavery is better than freedom? Not to put too fine a point on it, or veer inappropriately into one religious tradition at the expense of another, but poor old Moses had a heck of a time leading those Israelites from slavery in Egypt into the freedom of the Promised Land, even though the Israelites had cried out for generations, asking for help. Once on the road, all they wanted to do was return to the "fleshpots of Egypt," where at least they had food and water. "Those of us who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Surely you don't want to return to a life of slavery where the best thing you can say about your life is "at least..."???? You've been so important to so many of us here, including me .. i urge you to move forward and resist the temptation to look back. I promise the past is not nearly as rosy as addiction tends to paint it. peteg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,167 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey kiwi, sounds like you need some time for you! have you got time to take 20 minutes and just slow down, stop, and smell the roses? i think you would find that it helps you to recharge your batteries, or how about relaxation lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 438 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �116 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$113,512.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6490 Hours: 7

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Kiwi, It is a hard fight and there are times that I too, think about smoking again. And if you ask me what I miss about it, I will tell you the relaxation that came with smoking a cigarette. But do I miss the health hazards that go along with smoking? NO! The worry that I need to stop and the wondering if I could? No Way! The constant reminders that I am one of the minority of people that continue to smoke despite the evidence that it will eventually kill me. And I will tell you that I don't miss that and if you look closely. you don't either. Phil was right, It's rubbish to think that you miss something that is so bad and that your life was so much easier when you were smoking. You have a wonderful quit going, so get your thinking back on track, knock that chip off your shoulder and put your effort into helping the new members keep their quit. Share how you kept your quit going for so long and feel confident and proud that you made the right decision.You are only feeling a little down and not loosing it. Maria [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,702 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $308 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kiwi, Sorry to hear that you're not feeling so great. I agree with you that perhaps some of us will never forget 100% about cigarettes - but surely these are just thoughts now, not full-on cravings? They can't be so all-consuming that you might as well be in Hell week? I wonder if there may be something else going on in your life that is particularly stressful at the moment? Perhaps there is something that you could do for yourself to really help yourself once and for all? Maybe some kind of exercise to help kick some of the excess stress? "Assertive to the point that I can be a bit confrontational" Can this still be cigarettes after two years? I'm not sure, Kiwi. I'm slightly scared posting this, in case you criticise me for trying to help when I've only got a third of the quit under my belt, but I do have friends and family who have gone before me and quit. The addiction hasn't plagued them for so long... If you want to find a more relaxed state of mind, I'm certain that feeding your body with toxins will not do it. Look somewhere else. I hope you find your inner peace. Just look for it. Best wishes, Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 113 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,699 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �339 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh and you are not an ex smoker you are a non smoker! Need any more nagging or abuse just let me know! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,124 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �556.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OH and by the way Magnificent achievement on your quit meter you ARE made of stronger stuff you must be! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,124 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �556.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51

Reading this thread: