Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Today is VERY tough

17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The craves may come and go for a very long time, but they are not constant, and you will find a way to get past them. Don't let the thought of being tempted way down the road throw you off now. I know from having relapsed after 2-1/2 years smoke-free, that you always have to be on your guard, and be vigilant - but it's at a subconcious level - it won't occupy your every waking thought. I am so glad I quit again. It took a while to get to this point knowing that it HAD to be that last time. It gets easier every day. Stick with it. sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $468 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shutterbug I have had a few people tell me that they still crave a cigarette every now and then after 5, 10 or even 20 years of not smoking, but most certainly it is not even close to the same cravings you are experiening at this tender time. Most people that I have talked to who have quit for 3 or more years, don't get exicited about lighting up. They know they have the control and if and when it comes to mind they just flip it off. You will not have to suffer long, but anything worthwhile having you have to pay the piper. It will make you a stronger individual for it. I'm hearing you and I am asking you to please hang it there for you and the rest of your friends here. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 180 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,713 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $945 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't been awake long but I'm doing fine. I have to work today so hopefully that will help take up a good part of my time.
Okay, hopefully tomorrow will be better, today was awful. 5 minutes?? No, not today, it was non-stop lingering cravings that would not letup. I'll be off to bed soon, you can't crave if your asleep, right? ;) Thanks for the encouragement everyone, this truly is a great place. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 89 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
I was doing so great yesterday but it has hit me like a ton of bricks today. I could truly hurt someone to get a smoke, lol, j/k well maybe mildly injure, but not too bad ;p Today is almost over and it seems to be getting tougher by the minute. I'll tell you though, my biggest fear is that this won't go away. I really hate to say this on the board, but I've talked to people who say even after a year, it was extremely hard and they eventually went back. I can't deal with this for an entire year! Please tell me it gets better for the majority, because my stempmom says after quitting for 18 years, she still gets cravings today. AHHHH!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 84 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Be kind to yourself Shuttlebug, its only your second day. It gets better each and every day. You are in hell week, your body is reacting to not having its "fix". It WILL pass. As for the cravings, my mom gave up smoking over 30 years ago and when she smells cigarette craves it a little but she remembers how hard it was to quit too. Choose life shutterbug :) What you are feeling is perfectly natural but dont let the junkie in you convince you even one will be ok. Stay strong :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 248 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $102 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shutterbug, I had a rough day today at work which makes me think about smoking more. My husband was forced to quit eight months ago due to an accident. I asked him last week if he thinks about smoking...he said occasionally he thinks about it but just for a brief second and the thought is gone. Today he told me that when he sees others smoking now, he is feels sorry for them. His father had throat cancer from smoking and ended up losing his voice box and his mother went into the hospital on New Years Eve three years ago and was diagnosed with COPD and hasn't smoked since then (the night she went to the hospital she could even take a few steps to get herself into the car). He said tonight that he doesn't want to die like his dad did...turning blue and gasping for air. You had input from other people that say that this is a battle and they struggle with it. The horrible way you are feeling right now won't be near as bad a year from now, yes, you will think about them but it won't be a need. I was forced to quit because I could no longer breathe. I told my boss two weeks prior to being sick that I enjoyed smoking and didn't want to quit but my health is more important and not being able to breathe really SUCKS! Cigarettes were my best friend..they were there for me through the good and bad times in my life, they never told me anything mean and they didn't judge me. No longer can I think like that. I did laser therapy to help me quit and I also enjoy meditation cds using earplugs. I have stuck plug in air fresheners all over the house that smell of lavender and chamomille (relaxing). It feels good to read what others are going through, it takes your mind off yourself for a little. We MUST tell ourselves that we CAN and WILL do this. We are NON-SMOKERS and will be for the rest of our lives. Stay strong. Darcy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 637 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shutterbug ,one day at a time and this is your quit, every quit is different so don't apply all that people are saying to yoursel, you might not feel the way they do after a while. And I'm sure after a year the thought might enter your mind just to leave as fast as it came, don't worry, cross the bridge when you get there, concentrate on the present :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 585 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
shutter bug you can do this!! Each day it gets better. The crave usually only last 5 min. Find something to do for 5 min. that you can not do with a cig in your hand. I still crave or want to light up.. But it is nothing like the first 2 weeks!! There will NEVER be another first 2 weeks for me.. I was sooooo hard. Good luck keep posting keep reading keep drinking water take a walk if you can find a cool spot mon [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,218 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $180 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shutterbug - Day 2, how crummy. I feel ya - been there. Hey, you will not feel THIS bad for long at all. Pleae don't listen to what other people say, concentrate on you and breathe - slowly and deeply until you feel our heart rate calming down. In through your nose, out through your mouth. This really helps a lot. Drink a lot of water to detoc yourself and be gentle, your body is not used to this. You WILL get through hell week. It's tough - hold on tight to your quit. Come and post whenever you feel like you need to. You will find so many helpful members ~ everyone here understands what you're going through. CobenFan (Christine) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 118 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,020 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $413 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33

Reading this thread: