Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Stepping down on the patch

17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Mama - 3-1/2 years ago I quit with Zyban, and messed up almost a year ago and started smoking again. Dumb me! This time I started taking Zyban again, and didn't quit as quickly and easily as the 1st time. I actually didn't quit until I added in the patch for extra measure. It worked, and from that point, I was TERRIFIED at what would happen when I had to step down or not wear it at all anymore. After a few days of this obsessive thinking (I slept with it on, and stuck it on as soon as I could after my morning shower), I developed a really bad cold and sinus infection (how come? I wasn't smoking - lol). I felt so yucky that I didn't put my patch on that morning - and survived. So I tried again the next day, and the next, and since then, have not had it back on. I am doing very well just with the Zyban now - but when I was on the patch, you couldn't have convinced me otherwise. How about you try the step-down, and see how you do? I'm guessing that the more you think about it, the harder it will be (like my obsessive thinking). If it gets really tough, maybe you could go back on the higer dose until you feel more comfortable. I'm sure all of this self-prescribing should probably be cleared with your pharmacist or doctor, but I can't see the harm in sticking with Step 1 a little longer if you need to. Considering the possible alternative, like a relapse - I think you've got nothing to lose. I feel for you, as I know how anxious you are feeling about this. At the time, no one could have convinced me otherwise either. All the best to you! Take care, and keep in touch so the great contributors here can help you along the way. sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,118 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $396 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 351 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Mamma Just to let you know my husband started on the strongest patch and decided to step down to what I was on after a couple of weeks. He didn't have any problems, I am a little nervous about going to the lowest one in 2 weeks so I am going to talk to a doctor about Wellbutron or something. I think I am getting very ready to step down, I know I am getting better at the mind game and now I want the actual drug gone also. I am here for you mamma, we are very close in the stages of our quit. You are so strong I know you can do it, I take strength from your posts so keep going, I am right behind you. N.O.P.E. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 286 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry Mama, I went cold turkey. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 574 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mama my doctor prescribed the 21 mg for 6 weeks, then14mg for 4 weeks then 7 mg for 4 weeks I see you are on 21mg for 4 weeks maybe you need a little more time on the 21mg I am watching your posts closely as I am approaching the 14 mg and also am a little anxious :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where are you Mama? I havent seen you for a while. Is everything ok? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �285 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mama, Great to see your going so well!!! 25 DAYS!!! What a champ!! I cant talk from personal experience as I am not up to the patch step down yet (using different brand) but when my mum had to step down during her quit she experienced some problems with strong cravings. So instead of going straight down to the next step she kept using the stronger patch and just snipped away at it with a pair of scissors. Everyday she cut a little bit more making the actual patch smaller and smaller supposedly getting less and less from the patch. She said it worked for her but I really think it may have been a psycological thing to be honest. Having said that, if it helped her with her quit, so be it. Note...I think she used this method when she was on the final step down to no patch at all. Sorry if no help to you. But really Mama, I think it is a mind over matter thing and if you obsess over it, it will be a problem. I truely believe that you are strong enough to handle this hurdle. It's just another challenge for you to conquer. You can do it. Good Luck, We will all be thinking of you. Jo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 708 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $235 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 695 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mama Hope all went well.. on your step down. I used the patch 21 mg for 2 weeks and the more i read the more I wanted off. I took the patch off and had nic gum to fall back on and made it!!! almost 60 days.. You can do this ... what ever you decide... mon [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $177 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also am using the patch and wellbutrin. I am only taking the wellbutrin in the AM because the PM dose interferred with sleeping. I got rather comfortable with the 21 mg and stopped taking the wellbutrin. Had a recent slip about a week after dropping to the 14 mg.--after 49 days! I'm not saying it was because I discontinued the wellbutrin, it was my (bad) decision. However, if I could go back I would not have stopped taking the wellbutrin. It is now day 2 after my slip and I am back on the wellbutrin with my 14 mg patch and life is good. I spoke with my Dr. and I am going to continue on with the 14 mg for a few weeks longer since I did slip. I was a 3 pack a day smoker for 34 years and I AM determined to beat this! You can too!
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I bumped this thread to say that the step down was nothing... I can't even tell the difference, and that it was all ok. Just to show you that we tend to spend energy worrying when there really is nothing to worry about. Anyways, this is to help anyone stepping down that might be wondering and worrying about it. Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,388 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $193.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$74,923.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6522 Hours: 18

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everybody! I need to hear from people who used the patch successfully. I have to step down on the dose from 21 to 14 in 5 days and I am beginning to get a bit anxious about it because in past quits, this is were I had the problem. Either this step down or the next. I made sure I did something different this time, which is this site and also using Wellbutrin, but I don't know how to tell if it is helping at all. So, any suggestions, advise or encouragement you could give me would be helpfull. I want to be ready and prepared. Love, Mama Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,017 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $142.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$74,923.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6522 Hours: 18

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: