Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

New and looking to quit

15 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep feel better after that snooze.  Got woke up by the phone...brother-in-law.  I decided to call my old quit counsler from couple years ago.  She said try half a 21mg patch (10 and 1/2mg then).  It works and I feel fine.  "whew"  She also said use gum if I need it.  Thanks for sticking by while I was freaking out.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 1 Mins: 4 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Some of the best sleep I've had in years was in the first couple days of my quit. Do whatever you need to do!   If it gets too tough, stop back and post.  Somebody will get back to you!  Wait for 5 responses if you get a craving.  By then the craving will be gone, and you'll still be smoke free!  We all want to see a "1" in your Smoke-Free Days tomorrow!  Good Luck today!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 156
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,240
Amount Saved: $1,248.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 8 Mins: 0 Seconds: 15

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy,

You've received some great support and tips.

Don't forget that we're always here for you!

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
You all are so nice and supportive.  Thank you.  Yes today is the first day.  Perhaps I'll be celebrating tomorrow, right now I'm a little freaked out.  I won't smoke....I'm gonna lie down a bit. 
My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 51 Seconds: 31

15 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yay, today's your lucky day!!!!  You "get" to quit, rather than being told you "have" to quit!  That's awesome!  You mentioned that you have a lot on your plate right now.  Just think, by quitting smoking you'll have a lot of extra time on your hands, which might make your other activites easier to accomplish.  I won't wish you "good luck" - I feel that it takes a lot of willpower, determination and attitude to keep you quit, not luck.  (plus all of us wonderful people here too!!  lol)  Stick around here - you can definitely do this!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 386
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,720
Amount Saved: $2,933.60
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 3 Mins: 44 Seconds: 0

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to SSC, Happy!  You've made two positive steps towards your quit.  Working through the program, and coming here to talk about it.
I'm another who was always scared stiff to quit.  Oh, I knew I wanted it more than anything, but still, something kept holding me back.  FEAR.  I was the queen of flimsy reasons for not quitting on my chosen quit day. 
Believe me when I say my coping tools and my distractions were pure gold during those beginning months.  I also used a combination of Zyban and the nicotine patch.  Basically, whatever help was available...I was taking it!!!!!
Plan, plan, plan.  What coping tools will work best for you?  Lots of water...walking...naps when possible...some good tv shows for distraction...movies.  Check out all your options and figure what would work best for you.  Are you planning on using any NRT's?  There's so much out there.
And always remember to post.  There's always someone here to support and help you.  We want nothing more than to see you succeed!!!!!
You CAN do this Happy.

All the best to you,
Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 362
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,050
Amount Saved: $2,986.50
Life Gained:
Days: 42 Hrs: 11 Mins: 36 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy - I was scared to death of quitting.  It was amazing to me that the "quit" part was the part that scared me, not the "quitting".  In other words, having "quit" meant I would never have another.  Never, ever.  What kind of life would I have if I could never have another?  I didn't want to never have another.  I just wanted to not have to have another.  I bargained with myself.  Maybe I could cut down.  In a way I was very, very scared of success.

And as Moses said, most of us have had that "that's it, i'm done quitting" moment.  Sometimes it all seems just too difficult to deal with.  So we pick ourselves back up, brush off and give another go.

You have made a great decision and we will be here to help you with it!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 288
Amount Saved: $126.72
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 3 Mins: 42 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi happy and moses You both are doing the same thing I did. I knew early on in my quit that if I could make it to a certaim point 10 PM I wouldn't smoke that day. The same thing you did tonight. Tomorrow's another day. I decided to just quit. I thought quitting might kill me ( the shock of it anyway ) but as you can see it didn't. Take care of today and worry about tomorrow when it gets here. breather 73 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 73
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,650
Amount Saved: $1,752.00
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 9 Mins: 0 Seconds: 39

Thank you all for your replies.  I had a lot of time to think about this at work (can't smoke there).  Well let me start from the beginning.

First I thought "Oh heck!  I've done this before.  The only thing I've ever done wrong is not stick to it"  So about an hour later I'm getting ready for work and literally practically had a panic attack about the fact that I wouldn't smoke on the way to work and have to spend 8 hours till after work to have one!  So I freak out leave early for work and get some smokes. 

OK now that was stupid.  Really what was the point?  I smoked a cigerette because I was freaked out about quitting?  Really how am I going to get anywhere with that stargity in mind?  So I thought long and hard the next 8 hours on what in the world I'm going to do?

So I get home....then I read all of your posts and realize "hey I'm not alone here.  If these guys can do it....so can I.  I'm as ready as I'll ever be.  The only thing I'm doing is procrastinating and well just gotta get it done.  The sooner I quit the sooner this nonsense will be over"

So tomorrow is my quit day as right now I am turning in to bed.  The first thing tomorrow is that I will be here instead of putting on warm clothes with the sleep in my eyes and my hair sticking up to get a smoke outside in the freezing snow.  I'll rub the sleep out of my eyes and read and post and well just NOT SMOKE!

I am afraid of freaking out though, but I'll deal with that "if" it happens then.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 3 Seconds: 38

15 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just read your post and it seems from what you posted you are ready.  When you decide you are we will all be here rooting for you.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 328
Amount Saved: $65.60
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 15 Mins: 28 Seconds: 28

Reading this thread: