Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

New and looking to quit

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy, everything you said makes sense.  I had thought about quitting for a while.  It wasn't until I had major medical issues last year that quitting had more benefits than not quitting.  I thought giving up smoke breaks, going to a bar to smoke and drink, watch a football game with friends while smoking, smoking after dinner, smoking while drinking morning coffee, smoking while driving, etc. was more important than doing everything without smoking.  I wasn't sure I could drink coffee without a cig.  How do I drive with a cig?  How do I watch OSU play football without a cig?  When my oncologist said I needed to be on meds the rest of my life, that I was at HUGE risk for blood clots and new tumors/cysts, and that I would need to have blood work and tests every week, I thought long and hard.  If I didn't quit smoking, I might never be able to enjoy the things in life I loved.  Like drinking coffee, or going to a bar with friends, or watching OSU football, or driving.  You get the picture.  Please don't wait until you have a medical scare to force you to make the decision.  You have so many wonderful things in life ( a new job, classes to finish, 2 girls, your husband, etc.).  You need to be there for all of them!  Read the post I submitted earlier today.  I just got a clean bill of health.  My oncologist said that by quitting smoking I have greatly reduced the risk of blood clots and other medical issues.  I don't want you to have nightmares anymore.  I want you to have pleasant dreams of you and your family!  You will know when it is your time.  I hope the time is now.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 155
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,200
Amount Saved: $1,240.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 4 Mins: 52 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been working through the program here and seems I'm not ready to quit according to the program.  I really want to, but still my reasons to quit are not more important than my reasons not to.  I'm tired of having nightmares that I have cancer or a stroke.  I'm embarrassed that I smoke and that I smell and my teeth are yellow and my breath stinks.  I am just so afraid of quitting.  I've tried before and well just wasn't prepared for it all.  The stress, the cravings, the weight gain.....I have a lot on my plate now...a new job, classes to finish for that job, 2 girls in school and activities, a husband, a household to run...in the past these things suffered when I tried to quit and just gave up the quitting to undo the chaos it created.  Does that make sense?

I don't see myself as a smoker (but I do) I am usually embarrassed when new people meet me and find out I smoke.  As a parent and a smoker that makes me very self conscious.  For some reason though I find it so hard to walk away and in this case to just begin.

I feel torn in two.  Sorry the program said to talk to the forum about this so here I am.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reading this thread: