Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Emotionaly Unstable

16 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, I have seen both crazy smokers and crazy non-smokers. I have been both a crazy smoker and a crazy non-smoker. Not smoking has made me more aware of my unstabilities because instead of worrying about my next smoke I spend time trying to improve my life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 938 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $234.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$15,870.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 800 Hours: 13

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not sure I agree with some of you. My emotional stability has not changed as a smoker or non-smoker. The same things still make me happy, sad, angry, confused, etc. No change in emotional stability. We all hid behind the lies and a smoke screen...but for me it didn't affect my emotional stability. It was just stupid! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 160 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $776.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Emotional???? Oh you asked so I'm going to answer. I believe smokers are emotionally unstable. What stable person rationalizes killing themselves with posion slowly? I agree that when I quit I felt that my emotions took over me and I was out of control. In essence I was just beginning to take control. I lived to smoke and smoked to live. Quitting sent me into a tailspin. I was always saying "when I smoked, I didn't feel this or act like this" Truth is I hid behind the smoke screen. When we quit we take back our lives from the enslavement of smoking. When we smoke we rationalize that we may be killing ourselves but everyone dies of something anyway. OR Smoking may kill me but at least I'll die happy. I like smoking. When we cough we blame allergies or colds but definately not smoking. That has nothing to do with why we cough. Do these statements sound emotionally stable to you? I think not. Just my opinion. Take what you want and leave the rest. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 753 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,635.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 68 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mr Ed, you are a very funny horse. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $792.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bear, People here may think that we are emotionally unstable because we imagine that we are animals. I for one KNOW that I am a horse. Unstable - no. In stable - yes :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 526 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3,945.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 84 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear, I completely agree with Unhooked on the answer to the first question. If we have to rely on a harmful drug to get through our daily lives, I can't think of a better definition of unstable. The second question has to be taken with a grain of salt. The SSC is [b]one[/b] aid and none of us are professionals (aside from the mods) and we are here for just that ----> SUPPORT. The beauty of this site is having people from all walks of life, all geographic locations and all different places in their quit. Sometimes it is just nice to know you aren't alone. I've seen a lot of people come here with issues that really aren't well suited to this type of forum. Quitting doesn't solve all the problems in our lives. Actually I've had a post in the back of my head for months called "What Quitting Isn't" - maybe it will come to be someday. You are doing what you can; your presence at the SSC is tangible. You offer your point of view, your opinion, your experience and what has worked for you. Truly that is giving a lot of yourself and the benefit to others is HUGE. All the best [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1083 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,873.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 82 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$36,881.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 637 Hours: 22

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Good question Bear. How do a bunch of crazy nutbar addicts help each other to be normal nutbar non-addicts? I think just the way we have been, by each of us offering our strength when we can & admitting our weakness when we need someone else's strength. Luckily, we are all unstable in different ways so we aren't all jumping off things at the same time! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $792.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well you knew going in this was a double barreled question !! and I thank you for your responces.One shot has been fired and here's the second.Then how do we as a support group ? help one another to go beyond this instability ??? or maybe this is not a question that can be asked here . [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,268 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,260.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
I think all addicts are emotionally unstable. That's part of waht makes us addicts in the first place. We wnat to be stable but don't know how so we are vulnerable to the siren song of a substance (drugs, alcohol, nicotine, food, whatever) that helps us feel calmer, quieter, more centred, "normal". I also think coming to realize that you have emotional work to do & doing it even though it's really, really hard is a big step toward overcoming addiction. For me, that's why this site has made such a difference, because I see that I'm not the only one on an emotional rollercoaster without my "normalizer". I'm not the only one that still feels & reacts like a 13 year old sometimes & I'm not the only one that needs a little help. So, even though some of us may say we were more stable when we were smoking, I think we just appeared to be because our drug of choice allowed us to believe the lies it told us & convince others to believe well. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,440 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $792.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear, I feel more 'unstable' now, before I masked all ny emotions with smoke, so whether or not I am more emotional, I don't know. I know that I feel them now, so it feels more unstable than it probably is. I say that because no one seems to notice that I am more emotional (Other than Hubby.) Does that make sense? :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 141 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,525 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,487.55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31

Reading this thread: