Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Day 5 -Trying to change my mindset about smoking

17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh STELLA !!! I am SOOOOO proud of you !!!!! You have got to give yourself daily rewards --- think of some little ones that you can give yourself everyday. In fact reward yourself everytime you make it past an episode of killer craving -- why not , after all it's those little stepps - and one kay at a time might be looking too far away - some people may need an instant gratififier immediately after they've won the fight of a crave, and at the end of the day could be counted as winning a battle !! Winning the war just would follow along, eh? Yeah well watch for my posts next Saturday when I'm in the middle of my first quit day, or 2nd or 3rd ....... You should be so proud of yourself & I know your kids are so proud of you too
17 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Phil, I noticed my quit meter was gone too! I checked the preferences tab in my glove compartment and it is still checked show quit meter. But is still does not show. Maybe someone can help. Maria
EUREKA!! Maria [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 119 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
Dear Friends, Thank you for the bumps (I still don't know what that means) and positives and Phil, Boy am I glad you found me too! On my way to school (work) I was having a very hard time. Your messages were just what I needed!! Talk later Maria ;)
Dear Friends, Today is day 5. The weekend has been particularly hard but I am managing to deal witht the cravings and trying to stay sane. Somehow I am not as gung ho as I was the first 3 days and it is sinking in that this will be a really long and challenging fight. The word that I can use to describe what I am feeling is weary. Some moments it takes all of my energy to not give in. Thanks Hummy and Luna and Marie and Riverdale Man for saying you had to go through the same type of things and you guys are living proof that I too can do this. I just have to make the commitment to want it bad enough.I think that part of the problem is that I still have the mindset that I liked smoking and that I am missing something if I don't. But in reality, smokers lie to themselves every time they puff. How can anyone like inhaling and filling their lungs with chemicals equivalent to exhaust fumes from an automobile? We slowly and silently put all of our common sense aside and rationalize that it is OK, all for the puff of a cigarette. When I read that there is carbon monoxide in cigarettes while I was still smoking, I said UGH, but still kept on, denying the tiny voices of reason in my mind asking me "Are you @#$% Crazy to keep on doing this to yourself? ALL smokers know they should stop. It's changing that mindset that can make all of the difference in a quit. I am still trying to change mine.( PS. Where are you Phil? I need your wonderful sense of humor in all of this. Maria
17 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Maria, I liked your post because it was something I've been thinking about. Why do I want to quit? Health concerns? Where I'm sitting the health concerns of quitting smoking are not a big deal to me. (I know it's depressing, I'll try and lighten it up from here on out) All my friends smoke, so to quit I have to stay away from them for a few weeks at least. and lets face it physically and mentally quitting is just plain HARD! so why do I want to quit? Its simple, Smoking doesn't do one good thing for you. Not one. It triggers the release of doppamine, which makes you happy but as I'm sure you know if you go back after that first one, you're not going to feel a thing. As a matter of fact you become dependent on it and "Need" it to just feel ok. (IE stress smoking) I don't really consider this good. There are hundreds of reasons smoking is bad, but there isn't one good reason to smoke. So basically my point is, Maria you've already done the worst part, and I've where you are now, trying to talk myself into smoking by telling myself my reasons to quit are not good enough. Your reasons to quit are still as good as ever, even if they don't feel that way. If they don't seem as important try and list your reasons to smoke. 1. Yeah I can't think of any reasons to smoke. I thought about listing instant gratification, but that will mean nothing after that 1st puff so it's not really a reason. Stay strong Maria, those reasons will seem good again! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 141 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Babe When you make a post click on show my quit meter which is below the text you are typing me xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 668 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �140.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
Clever Girl!!! me xxxxxxxxxxx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 668 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �140.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
OI! Where is your quit meter Maria????? You will need to keep off the smokes because you open at the London Palladium on 3rd November in the Sound of Music!!!(And you have the lead part)check the web you will see what I mean. I assume you are Maria Von Trapp? The English nutter Phil xxx PS try the meesenger I have had fun with it and made contact with someone inthe City of London who is great (SMILE!!) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 666 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �140.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
Found you!!! Hi Maria, I have been looking all over the place for you,under the stairs,in the broom cupboard,down the garden,in the garage.I used to be able to find you by following the smell of the smoke but you are more difficult to find now! Seriously my love It is a mess for the first few weeks I was tearing my hair out(The bit I have left)I am nearly at week 5 and it DOES GET BETTER see my post about my Spanish holiday I was dreading it because I thought I would miss the smoke now I am looking forward to it and not even thinking about Old Nick.! I had an email from some Spanish friends and both the local bars have banned smoking!! Whoopee!!! Keep setting milestones my next one is the therapist in the morning(not sure she knows what to make of me but I have not managed to drive her insane yet although I suspect she is drinking more since she took me on I must discuss it with her!)Do they do alcohol patches? I am away for 3 weeks from the 16th and expect to see a very positive message from you on the 9th October when I return complete with your Quit Meter!! I will no doubt be in touch before I go(Instant messenger is working for me if you want to login) Lots of love from a small island Phil x PS I cant go away not knowing what Bump means to you strange speaking people.Pls let me know. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 663 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �140.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16

Reading this thread: