Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,815 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO

I will accomplish the Ultimate Freedom in my Quit

18 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent post and very well written BF! My view is this - I have previously quit smoking for three months. Back then I knew nothing about this 100 day, therefore around 3 months i had one then two and you know how it goes, i was smoking again, full time. I realised that I cant just have one puff it doesnt exist not in my world. That was 3 years ago. Since then, esp since last Sept, I think I have had 5-6 quits since last Sept if not more. I was desperate to get off the weed, but it was just so hard. This time I am reading yep will have some tough times in future, but instead of expecting this magic day in a few weeks, i am realistic that actually I might still be tempted down the line. This gives me strength and courage to overcome and fight it, because i can plan for it. However, I have been reading the last few days about (I think) quits that were almost a year in, and to be honest I did find that alarming! I was hoping that just after 3 months i would be back to normal. Would always be addicted to Nictotine, I just didnt think I would be suffering with it that far down the line. Every time I quit, it got easier and easier. The reason for this, is because i was learning from previous mistakes. I learnt how i failed from my last quit attempts. This helped me this time. If other members alert me to potential pitfalls I can be aware, and plan for it, hopefully this time, I will finally quit. I wont get to some point in the future, which is not as I expeceted, I will be prepared for the worst, and if its good - then I will feel great. Its a win win situation [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 73 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �15 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW theres some big hitters in this discussion and it too scares me that people say they still want to lite up after sooooooooo long .Ihave been in the back looking reading getting that info to guide me and all i can say is thanks to all you have all helped. PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL ,JOURNEY WELL, HOPE WE ALL GET WHAT WE WANT [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 185 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey wait a minuiut, I think we agreed! You said you were different than me and I said you were different than me! I guess it's like the thing about wishing that there were a safe cigarette. It's just not going to happen. I wish I would never experience a crave, but it's just not going to happen. I have experienced a bunch of them and I have to assume and be ready to experience more. Like I said, I don't know what makes it easy for some and not others. I wish I did, I would do it, take it, say it or whatever it takes. I seem to always have to work hard for everything though and this is no different for me. I didn't mean anything by it, I am really happy for you. Yes, maybe I am a little envyous, the same as by the girls who eat a whole pizza and never gain any weight, or the ones with rich husbands who travel all the time and just send money. But I love you, I'm just in some pain and reaching out. Mama Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 637 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$75,032.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6532 Hours: 5

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Breaking Free, I am very very happy for you that that is the way it is for you and I wish it were like that for each and every one of us. Unfortuanatly, I can tell you for sure that it is not like that for most. If it was, no one would smoke anymore,like allan carr says. The thing is that most of us need a lot more support that just the one month or however long it took you. It's just not that simple for most of us. And if comming on this website makes it possible for some of us to guit, hey at least it's not another drug or something harmfull. I don't know what makes it easy for some and not others, but I do know that I must not be the only one because many people on this website have expressed the same feelings as I have had, and besides, it must not be quite as easy and you say or why would you have felt any apprehension upon quiting and why would you have smoked all those years? So anyways, I must stay here and get the help I need because I still can here that horrible weed calling my name. I don't know when, or if, it will ever stop, but I do know that it is very bad for me to answer. That does not make me weaker than you or inferior in any way, It just makes me different from you. Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 635 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$75,032.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Well, breaking free, I know I am only at two weeks but I think I can speak to addiction a little because I come from a severly alcholic family, with long tradition of alcholhol, prescription drug and smoking addiction. I beat the curse of alcohol only by never trying it. I have never ever had a bit of alcohol in my mouth for any reason. Not cough surup, vanella extract, listerine, nothing. Not ever. That is the only way that I didn't get addicted to alcohol. My genes dictate that if I did, I would become addicted to it. I don't know what addiction you say you have beat but I do know without a shadow of a doubt that alcoholics have craves after many many years, that is why you have the ones with 20 years sobriety that all in a sudden start drinking. If you talk to them, it really wasn't all in a sudden, they had been having the craves for years and because they deny that they have them, don't talk about them, don't acknowledge and deal with them they eventually cave to them. I expect to be a nicotine addict all my life. I will never be able to get away from that and I do expect to wish I could smoke. Hey, I wish that they would invent a lovely cigarette that was full of vitamines and super good for you! but that won't happen and we have to face it. I saw a movie one time about time travel, I don't remember anything else about the movie except that they came from the future where the air was so bad that then they traveled to our time with cleaner air, they had to smoke to make the air breathable for them. a dream come true for a nictoine addict! Also, not going to happen. I have never heard of any addiction where there is never a desire for the substance after a month or so. And I think that I have dealt with just about every possible addiction. Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 578 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $79.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$75,032.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

BF, I still want to know what drug you were talking about so I could try it (trick)!!!! Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 587 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $79.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$75,032.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]You're right... we are different! I'm proud that I quit and I wear the ex-smoker label proudly... I even have N.O.P.E. on a bracelet on my wrist that never comes off. If anybody asks me what it stands for or what it says, I gladly tell them what I accomplished. To me, I'm so proud to be an ex-smoker that I don't care what label somebody wants to give me... I'd rather have the label "ex-smoker" than "smoker." That's for sure! [/quote] We are not different in this aspect BFS. We are the same. I am proud just like you. I have no problem saying I am an ex smoker or that I have a nope bracelet. In fact, by telling them what I have been through ... I can offer support. It is not about what label someone else gives me ... as I do not care. It is about the label I give myself that I care about. It is about my own self talk that I care about. I would rather have the name X-Smoker than Smoker as well ... that is what my first sign on name was. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,161 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $152 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
  • Quit Meter

$54,568.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 9

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Pam, The difference between memories, triggers, etc. was not a moot point for me. And understanding it in my own mind has helped me tremendously over the last 3 days and I am sure it will help me in the rest of my journey. What people find helpful differs from person to person. I appreciate your thoughts on calling oneself an addict for life, but I'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. I find it more helpful to me in my quit to not wear the label of addict for the rest of my life. As far as scaring newbies go. There is more than one truth. Mine is not the only truth and neither is yours. That is the point I was trying to get to with this discussion. That is what I wanted newbies to see before they quit and not after they quit ... like me. My creator keeps me humble. I celebrate the strength He gives me on a daily basis and try to share it with others. I am very thankful. I do however appreciate your concern and where it is coming from. I do not plan on letting go of my quit, but if I do I will not be ashamed to get back up and get back on the quit wagon. Fondly, [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/Breaking20Free20CR20LifeLine20Cover.jpg[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,158 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $152 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$54,568.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Mama, I'm in pain too. I feel alone in my recovery. Shevie & anyone else interested, just some fyi, The American Cancer Society says that even though nicotine is out of your system in a few days that the withdrawal symptoms can last for a few days to several weeks. ... Good night everyone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,080 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$54,568.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I find not picking up a cigarette easy. I do not crave them. I hate them. The thought of picking one up and putting it in my mouth disgusts me. But I do not think all the other things I need to do to make this process a success is easy. But I also do not think it is the hardest thing in the world either. I can't tell that to myself because if I do ... it will make it true ... it will make it hard ... which will make it harder ... which may make me not do what needs to be done. That is just my way of thinking. I try to make the process easier by looking at it as just a matter of learning, coping and doing. The big word there ... DOING! ;p I am not letting my guard down either. Not now ... hopefully not ever. I am just trying to address all facets of my personality that got me to start smoking in the first place so that I do not make the same mistake again. I am trying to learn how to deal with emotions that I made myself numb to for so many years because I smoked. I find that I need to talk about these things more than 'wanting a cig' ... those things do directly effect my quit just as much as someone craving a smoke does to theirs. I am trying to find the reasons why because I do not want to crave a lie. I want to understand the difference between a crave, a memory, triggers, withdrawal ... I figure the more I understand the more I can arm myself ... the more prepared I am to kick this addiction to the curb ... the sooner I can be a non smoker obsessed with life instead of a non smoker obsessed with recovery. I am happy to be recovering right now though ... make no mistake about it. Thanks Nascarfan. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,099 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$54,568.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: