Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.761 posts in 47.061 threads.

160,836 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Sinea, MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS

I will accomplish the Ultimate Freedom in my Quit

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Use the kitchen trick ... I think that would be a lot safer. LOL! Here is another thread that talks about the whole 'once an addict always an addict' thinking. [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?topic=29644&forum=1]Click here & Read[/url] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,043 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5963 Hours: 17

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey ... if there were no bunches that is great. It never hurts to apologize though. I too think it is a very valid discussion. In fact I posted it because I thought that many would have some of the same feelings that I did. Maybe they felt uncomfortable bringing the issue up because they thought that they may hurt someone's feelings or interfere with someone's quit process (causing stress). But on the flip side not talking about the fear you may be feeling after reading about 'late date craves' is not good either. ... stuffing your own doubts or fears is not going to help someone in their own quit. [quote]We are all here for the same reason, don't lose sight of that. We all want to be free and we each have individual paths to that freedom, yet we have the same end goal. Everyone deserves support no matter what![/quote] I agree & have never said otherwise. I can only hope you are not misreading my post or that I am not making myself clear. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,038 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Whew! Good! ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,039 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

An addict devotes their selves to something habitually or obsessively. I use to be a nicotine addict. I am not an addict of nicotine anymore. Right now I am a 'Recovery Addict'. And once I evolve from 'Breaking Free' to 'Free'. I will not even be that type of addict anymore. The only time I will ever believe I am a nicotine addict again is if I ever take up smoking again. And that ain't going to happen. ____________________________ I apologize to anyone that got their panties in a bunch over this thread. But this thread has done exactly what I wanted it to and I thank all of you! I hope the newbies are reading this thread. Newbies need to know, and I think from the responses they can, see that while we quitters have a lot in common there are also a lot of differences in how we approach our quits, what we experience in the long run, our perspective and our attitudes, what we believe and how we plan on succeeding and how our lives are now as long term quitters. All of these things are really as different and as the same as black and white. Black and white are opposites ... but they belong in the crayon box. So when you are early on ... do not be scared and do not let it deter you when you read about a 30, 60, 100 or even 365 day craves. Just because it happens to someone else does not mean it will happen to you. Just as someone brought up that some quitters do not post about their craves, it is also important to remember that a lot of people that do not have craves anymore do not bother to post at all either. They are too busy with their new lives to post on a web site. I thought it was important that new quitters see the flip side of the coin. I wish I had seen it in my first few weeks. It would have helped with the 'fear factor'. Remember that your mind is a powerful thing. I was scared in the beginning as well. But as I got past my physical withdrawal and started realizing all the lies I had believed as an addict ... wow the light bulbs started going off. Someone on this site told me that when they rearranged their kitchen around that they would still go occasionally to the old cabinet to grab a glass, even though the glasses were in a new place in the new kitchen. They explained that the thoughts they had about smoking
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

First off I need to post a disclaimer here. If anyone is real sensitive, you may not want to read this post. This post is not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, nor is it aimed at anyone. If you happen to see yourself in this post do not get all pissed off at me for it. This is aimed at no one. There is underlying irritation in my post ... please forgive me for it ... it is only because I care so intensely. Read at your own risk. Okay? Okay. OK ... here I go: I have been quit about a month. Some may think well that is not very much time for someone to be quit. But I disagree. I have already beat other addictions in my life. So even though I only have 30 or so days under my belt as far as 'no smoking' goes ... I have a lot more days under my belt as far as 'beating addictions' go than your normal 30 day quitter. I have done a lot of reading. Reading on how to quit, reading on how to stay quit, reading on health issues, reading on other people's experiences, reading on withdrawal symptoms, inspirational reading, the list goes on and on. Through reading, a lot of my questions have been answered, except one ... and it is gnawing at me. It is gnawing at me because I find that sometimes what I read seems to be planting 'negative seeds', especially for new quitters in my opinion. My thought process goes like this: Nicotine is out of your system within a day or so. The physical withdrawal is normally felt for two to four weeks. So basically after a month the nicotine and the main physical withdrawals are gone. The physically addictive drug is out of your system. So the rest of it is mental. Keeping that logic in mind, what is the question you ask? Here goes: If the rest of it is mental ... why do a lot of people seem like they are still withdrawing physically well after a month? And why do those that know it is a mental craving allow it to go on for more than a few minutes? I find it frustrating because I see people with over 30, 60, 90, 365 days actually WANTING to smoke. I read about them wanting or craving to smoke for like weeks at a time after they have been quit for goodness knows how long. How scary is that to read?! Who wants their quit to be something they have to kick and claw their way through for the rest of
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Great post Shevie. Thanks so much for joining the discussion. [quote]My boss had a killer crave about 11 years after he�d quit. It lasted a few hours. He has no idea what triggered it, but there was some association that had not be broken yet. [/quote] Triggers bringing back memories make sense to me. But would that be a crave or a memory? Since he did not know what the trigger was ... does that make it a crave? At 11 years he must have known that he couldn't stand cigarettes and that he was never going to smoke again ... so was that really a crave or a memory? Do some people view their memories as craves? Or visa versa? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,075 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Mama, I felt apprehension about quitting because I believed that it would be impossible to quit. I was scared. I could not imagine myself without a cigarette. I believed the junkie lies when my body was loaded with nicotine. You sound almost upset that I am not having a hard time not picking up a cigarette, which hurts my feelings. I need support just as much as you or anyone else here. I do not know why you would think I didn't. Just because not picking up a cigarette has been fairly easy for me does not mean that other aspects of my quit aren't difficult. Just because I am a positive person does not mean that I don't have bad days as well. I do not think anyone here is weaker or stronger ... just different in which road we are on to the same destination. (which I have stated numerous times) I am new in this quit and am learning and at the same time being true to how I feel and where I want to go. I am also trying to be supportive and positive. I do not appreciate the insinuations, especially when they are false. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

That is how I view craves and memories too. So is it abnormal for me to not be craving? I just can't stand tobacco anymore ... at all. If a trigger happens, it pisses me off. I can't believe I ever smoked. The last thing the memory does is make me want to smoke. I don't know how to explain it any better ... but that is how I feel. Isn't there anyone who feels the same? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,076 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Holy cow! I am so glad I have not experienced anything like you have Lady! I think about the subject of smoking ... but I do not consider that a crave. To me a crave is when I am considering relapse, which hasn't happened ... except for the night I drank alcohol. That told me right there that I am not ready to drink yet! heh! LOL! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,048 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Before I quit and during my first week ... it did. Does it now ... nope! [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/blbl.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/Daniwiz/24.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,049 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$54,571.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: