Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.761 posts in 47.061 threads.

160,844 Members

Please welcome our newest members: iloveludlow, maddshp, Sinea, MANA MARIE, mandie1991

I am so apprehensive about quitting tomorrow

18 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Luck to you Birdie!! It sounds as though you have made a choice for YOUR life. It is your life, after all. It's the one and only life that you get. It's not a practise run...not a dress rehearsal. Make it wonderful and memorable and not terribly complicated. Quitting is a tough thing..but it is a do-able thing. That, in and of itself, is encouraging...if you've decided to give it a try!! The scariest part is what happens after the first step. Oh yes, ask me...I am the Queen!! haha Perhaps I should change my name to DRAMA QUEEN??? If I could offer any advice, it would be to read and read and read...educate yourself. Find a way to make this work for you...for YOUR life. Try all forums!! I recently found someone (thanks again SHEVIE!!!) who brought information into my quit that will REALLY help me to be successful this time. I return this gesture (blessing) by trying to offer my words to another. I offer them to you!! It's a process. You CAN make it and the good news is...you have help...right here!!!
18 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Birdie, My biggest advice - read the above posts. You got the best the SSC has to offer !!! JUST DO IT.......
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi birdie, It's not crazy - it's how you feel. The secret: to want to Quit, to REALLY, REALLY want to Quit... that's the secret. No matter what, no matter how hard it is, no matter how loud you want to scream or cry or lash out, you have to want to Quit... Stay close - we are all here for you. And hold tight and read the posts here - that supported me sooooo much, especially the first week. Blessings and Light- [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,995 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $265.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
birdie, The secret for some of us was letting ourselves get a little 'angry' Think about the tobacco executives getting rich off your money. [img]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3125/twinsmoke2vu.jpg[/img] Think about "everyone else" that smoking has killed. You can do this. You want to live don't ya? [color=blue][font=Tahoma]All the best~[/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,587 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1265 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Birdie.. Taking the plunge and getting started is always the hardest part. I can't count all the quits I was going to start that never happened. It sounds like you have done your homework and are prepared. When you have that last cigarette, say goodbye to it with every puff for tomorrow you start your new life as a non-smoker. There will be times you will want to give up, hold on for dear life and don't give in. Once you get over the withdrawal you will be so glad you quit. It is the greatest feeling in the world to be free from the enslavement of smoking. Congratulations on your decision to quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 303 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1060.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
birdie, Congratulations on your decision to quit and welcome to the SSC. The secret? Easy. Embrace your quit. Don't think about it. Don't fight it. Realize that you are quitting a nicotine addiction that has controlled your life for years. You have been feeding your need for nicotine by smoking. Pretty silly, huh? And you thought you were just smoking! You are a nicotine junkie like the rest of us. Sorry, no magic bullets here. Quitting takes Strength, Determination, Commitment and A Positive Attitude. I found a quote that I feel sums up the approach a quitter must make in terms of their general outlook on life and particularly their quit: [b][color=blue]"May we never let the things we can't have, or don't have, or shouldn't have, spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have. As we value our happiness, let us not forget it, for one of the greatest lessons in life is learning to be happy without the things we cannot or should not have."[/color] [color=black]Richard L. Evans[/color][/b] Yes, embrace your quit, your new life. Be happy. That is the secret. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=purple]Hoping for success without hard work is like trying to harvest without planting.[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 350 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,772 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $857.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$36,383.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9781 Hours: 19

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Birdie. What you're feeling is perfectly normal. There really is no secret other than you have to want to quit. It sounds like you've tried quitting before. Do you know why those attempts didn't stick? That may hold the secret you're looking for. One of the quotes this site uses is an African Proverb that says "Look not where you fell, but where you slipped." That is very good advice, Birdie. Don't worry about past failures. They don't exist. As long as you keep trying, there is no failure. Only use the past for learning (see above paragraph). Like Golferman says, there is no magic bullet. All the knowledge, all the aids in the world cannot take the place of simply wanting to not smoke more than wanting to smoke. Over the next few days stay close, Birdie. Read much, post often, let us know how you're doing and if we can help. When you do post, check the box that says "Show my Quit Meter". I helps us to know where you are in your quit, plus it's a real boost to you to watch the numbers grow. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 342 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,858 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1299.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 63 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 1306 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Birdie Sorry, there is nothing to make it easier. You gotta JUST DO IT!!!! 5 minutes at a time. One crave at a time. Spend the whole day here if you need to and post your every thought. Spend the whole day in bed if you need to. You have to do whatever you need to in order to be successful. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. Come join us and be FREE!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 122 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $46 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$330,859.73

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6035 Hours: 5

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am getting anxious about my quit tomorrow. This is crazy to be feeling so nervous, especially when it's not my first attemmpt at this. I know all the facts, and have read so many books,,,,it all comes down to me wanting to quit i just wish i could find the secret to making this a little easier
  • Quit Meter

$27,072.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 713 Hours: 15

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just want to thank all of you for your encouragement, I really admire anyone that is able to overcome this addiction. I did not make it today. tomorrow is another day and I am going to give it another try, I refuse to give up on myself. Your words are not waisted, they are from you and your story, thankyou again, birdie
  • Quit Meter

$27,072.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 713 Hours: 15

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: