Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

train wreck

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mmgsc100,
Just wanted to check and see how things went with the new work week?  Also want to say, as Ashley pointed out,  that you really do have some positives for you with the support your have from your husband, your doctor and the way that you made it through Thurs and Fri!  That's awesome. And that you don't have to feel so trapped because you do have choices.  Hang in there and let us know how you are doing!!!!!

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It must feel nice to be taking steps to get organized.  You should feel proud of yourself. 

You have a lot of options.  That is great. 

Those last few days must have been hard for you.  It must be a comfort to have such an attentive husband.  It sounds like you to are really in this together and that is so important.  You will have to keep us posted on how everything is going at work.

Stay strong,
Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind words. My husband helped me update my resume, and I have made one application thus far. We have seriously high unemployment in our area, so I don't expect quick results. I looked into how short-term disability works, and my doctor is ready to write the note if I feel that's the way to go. Not my first choice, it is still a cut in take-home pay while my husband is unemployed, but it is an option. We are also planning to do a legal consult - again, don't want to go that route, but just seeing if that is an option if the worst happens.

Friday I was sure I was going to be let go. My review had been scheduled for Thursday, then it was changed at the last minute to Friday afternoon, and our HR person  was in the building. We had a new 'temp' in our department. My husband was also pretty sure it was going to happen, and even came to wait for me in the parking lot at the end of the day. 

Nothing happened. No meeting, no review, no word at all. Two nail-biting days, and I still have not had my review. At least since I 'lived' through Friday afternoon, I feel less likely to get fired.

It's been quite a week.  Thanks for listening.

mmsgc,  I am also sorry to hear about your work situation.  It seems to me they would give you some kind of documentation re: your performance.  How can they keep a record of your performance evaluation without having it documented.  That means that you have some idea of what they are trying to say that you did/didn't do, if you can get a copy of it.

I hope things go well for you during your mid-year review.  In the meantime, I agree with Diva, look for a more friendly work environment while maintaining that job.  

Keep us posted on how things are going!

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello mmsgc,
I am sorry to hear your phone call did not go the way you wanted. Sounds like your work situation really is bad. While you try to fix that, could you not try and apply for other kinds of employment. Who knows you might get lucky. That is what my husband did. He applied for jobs while keeping the one he had. He got lucky and got a great new job and he is much happier. Just an idea, what do Iknow!
I really hope things fix themselves for you. The people at your work sound mean. Anyway, Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mmgsc,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing a difficult time right now. It can be tough when you start to have problems in your work environment, as this can often affect other aspects of your life. You mentioned in your post that you are unsure of where you had performance issues. Did you ask your supervisor to clarify? Perhaps taking a constructive approach to these issues may be helpful?

Whatever you choose to do, keep your head up! You will get through this mmgsc and we are here for you every step of the way!

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Things went just about as bad as possible. On Thursday I made my call, and was told that I am a 'broken record.' I have problems with 'all' of my supervisors (I did not w/ the one who retired, but she just kinda brushed that off since he had spoken to her about me at one point). I am officially non-transferable since I have 'performance issues.' Of course, I have been wracking my brain about where I could possible have performance issues. Problems dealing w/ certain co-workers yes - but nothing that affects how my work impacts the company as a whole.

Friday I was in such bad shape that I asked to go home after I finished preparing an audit. I was literally in tears,  but the Boss only would talk about the symptoms, she would not pull me aside or discuss the underlying issues.

HR told me that during my mid-year review this coming week, my 'performance issues' would be discussed. Based on past history, it means being written up. Despite the company process, i don't get the documented 'verbal' warning from my supervisor, he went right for the written last time. I had sent a meeting invite last month to discuss my objectives and how I am doing in preparation for my half of the  mid-year review, but it was totally ignored. I send a meeting invite Friday morning to discuss current struggles, and he declined. 

I have no idea what to do when this meeting is called. I work constantly - the bully gets to run a personal business, make personal travel arrangements, even do her nails while she is on a call - PLUS take her lunch without interruption. I'm afraid I will collapse yet again - nothing I do is good enough. 'Before' everything was OK in my life; 'after' it's just fighting a no-win battle. We have 15+% unemployment in our area - I can't just leave. 

Thanks for listening, I have no idea what to do.

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello mmgsc,

How are you today?
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi mmgsc,

You will do great on your call today.  Just be honest and try to be constructive.  You will have to tell us how it goes.

Ashley, Health Educator
mmgsc,  I want to say something about bully's at work.  There are some very good websites on the topic.  In my former employment, I dealt with a bully on a daily basis.  He was my boss.  I filed a grievance against him and he wasn't allowed to speak to me (not advising you here, just stating my experience).  He had to communicate through a third party.  I think bullying at work should be as illegal as discrimination.  I want to get involved in this movement to get bullying made illegal.  As a counselor by profession, I thought surely I must be doing something wrong to not be able to handle this, employ some effective communication (assertive).  That didn't happen no matter what I tried, it was to no avail.  The bullying websites helped me to understand why and also to get some insight into why a person might bully as an adult.  I thought this was child's play which is near illegal after all the school shootings.  I know around here it is dealt with very seriously in the school system. 

I hope you find an effective means to cope with/deal with/ handle it.  I learned that bullying in the workplace is very common occurance.  That doesn't justify it, it just means you are not alone.

HR at my former employment was not effective in helping me as bullying is not recognized like any type of discrimination.
I hope they are more aware and involved at your job.

Reading this thread: