Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Getting Older

14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Furgittit, Goofy, Rebbie, and Ashley,

I want to thank you all for your responses to my post today. I will never forget the kindness and compassion you have all show to me today.  I take great comfort in knowing you are all there and that as women facing the fact of growing older that we can discuss this issue and support each on this journey.  I will take your advice and try to enjoy these golden years of my life even though I may not like what I see in the mirror or the fact that my body is aging. I will try to concentrate on the good things I have going for me and remember that doing the things that I  love and enjoy doing is what really matters. Your kind words and understanding have raised my spirits warmed my heart and made me laugh again. It is so nice to not have to be alone in this.  I hope that I can return the favor to you all in your time of need.  
Semper Fi,
Red

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red, I'm catching up - 47 here - I feel the getting old and look in the mirror and see it as well.  I can so relate to furgittit's grandmother; mine is 99, mows her own yard, drives to church, grocery and to get her hair fixed.  She doesn't drink; been a widow for 37 years and lived alone since then.  What an inspiration to us all. Hasn't been to a doctor in 13 years, btw, well she cut her leg and had to get some steri-strips in ER last year.

I think depression exacerbates health issues which exacerbates depression and it gets to be a vicious cycle.  I don't know how to stop it or when it stops.  I do know my physical health has improved as I've worked through this program and have gotten a better handle on my depression.  Cured - NO; better - yes!  Even the inherited issues have improved over time.  I don't seem to have so many issues with them though they are still there. 

I guess we are all growing old - to do so gracefully is the challenge - if I figure out how to do it, I'll let you know.  In the meantime, I eat and watch the portions; smoke and try to minimize; exercise and work this program. 
Hang in there and keep us posted. 

14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,
I understand the getting older thing.  I am a whopping 36 years old now (have been for a week).  I know that sounds young and crazy.
Due to congenital health issues (mostly from my mom's side, heart problems, blood pressure problems, arthritis and a bunch of other health stuff that seems to get worse everytime I see a doctor), I sometime feel older than my 80 year old grandmother (my dad's mom), who still drives, works out at the gym, volunteers, cooks and cleans for herself, and drinks a fifth of vodka every day.  I found that by following the doctor's orders and exercising, eating a balanced diet and quitting smoking made my depression worse and my health problems worsened as well.  I have been smoking again (after a 14 month quit) for a few months, my mind is much more clear, my blood pressure has dropped so that I only need one combo medication (for arrythmia/blood pressure) and I have the energy I need to get through the day (and the false fortification to face crowds of people and driving, rather than vomitting and having a panic attack every time).  I have reverted to my old eating habits (not so much on the plate, but the good stuff, homemade bread, cream chicken, steak, potatos, cake) my digestive issues have pretty much resolved themselves, (not so much gas and bloating).  Exercise well, I have more energy so I clean more, I find that scheduled, forced physical activity doesn't work for me. 
What I am getting at here is that do things because you enjoy them, not because someone else says its good for you.  Forced health is not worth the headache, find something you enjoy, and make you happy, like my grandma, she is generally in a good mood (unless she has more vodka than normal), but she does things every day that she enjoys doing.  Just like her mom who lived to 99, up till the last 2 years, she enjoyed an active life, and did things that made her happy (she was a widow so no man to have to put up with (from her perspective, they just get underfoot, worse than kids, she would say).  
So needless to say, I am trying to adopt that outlook, obviously very slowly, heaven knows what being happy (or even at peace) for more than a few seconds would do to a person.
What I am saying is, be good to yourself, find things you enjoy and remember that there are always people out there who are worse off and better off than you.  Keep things in perspective (very difficult for people with BPD or Depression) and remember you have friends here that will listen to you tell of your pleasant experiences and horrible experiences.
Take care Red.

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red,

Sometimes emotions are like a dam once it is opened it can be hard to close.  It is healthy to cry.  It takes a strong person to allow that sort of release and certainly strong people can feel weak.  Take the time you need.  

Try to remember you are taking action to better yourself and that takes a lot of courage and drive.  You should be proud of yourself.  We are.

Members, please share any advice or support you can offer Red.

We are here for you Red.  You are not alone.

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley,

Yes I think I would like to do that.  This has been very emotional for me talking about my feeling today and I am feeling a little sad and teary right now.  I will check out the site later today when I am a little more composed and see what I think of it.
Your are right I am a very strong woman but I am feeling a little weak right now. Being strong for everyone was very hard.
I am going to rest for now and will check in with you later.   I want to thank you for showing me compassion today and for all of your support and sound advice.

Red
Red,

I don't know about your religion or spirituality but I believe he is still there protecting you.  

Going out now will be challenging for you but it will certainly help your mood and confidence.  You sounds like a strong woman who has been through a lot.  I know you can do this, but you will have to fight for it. You may want to consider looking at another site we have the Panic Centre (www.paniccentre.net).  This site will help you with your fear.  There is even a section on exposure therapy that you can walk through.  It will help you set goals and achieve them.  The support group also has many people in it that have similar fears as yours. You may benefit from talking with them.  Do you think this could be something you would like to look into?

Ashley, Health Educator
Rebbie,

Thanks for the input.  It's good to know I am not the only one out there dealing with getting older.  I'm 55 yrs old.  I will try and take your advice about taking it slower and giving my self permission to take it a little slower and get what I can done.

Thanks
Red
Ashley,

I think it is fear mostly.  I lived a reclusive life for 27 yrs with my husband who passed away 6 yrs ago with Ptsd from his military service in Vietnam and dementia.  I got used  to and comfortable with that life and liked it.  The world out there changed a lot during those 27 years and I have had a hard time adapting to it.  Plus I no longer have my Marine to protect me.

Red
Hi Red,

The mall is a great idea!  Once the bustle of the holidays wears down the mall will be a lot less busy.   Quitting smoking is a great idea and will certainly help with your hypertension and panic!  Focusing on the quit before the weight lose might be a good idea.  You don't want to overwhelme yourself.  Have you taken a look at our sister site www.stopsmokingcentre.net?  It will help you a lot with your quit! It has a program you can work through and other tools to use.  The support group there is also very supportive and members give great advice.  The Stop Smoking Centre is a great place to go for preparing and maintaining a quit.

Have you been working through the Depresssion Program? The program here is excellent and many members benefit.  In terms of getting out of the house, what has been stopping you.  Is it due to lack of motivation? Fear?  

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Red:    I, too, am feeling the pains of getting older.   After I had an "episode" of deep depression and ended up in the hospital in October, I have been carrying all of my stress and tension in my lower back.   It makes me feel like I'm 80 years old some days.   I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, walking up stairs and after I've sat for 20 minutes or more, I hobble like I'm ancient when I first get going.   This is not fair when our minds are still in the mid-20s!!!   

I have found that when I do something that I've always been able to do but have trouble doing now, if I "slow" myself down, I can usually accomplish the task.   I have also realized in my old age (I'm 57 by the way) that we don't have to do things at the speed of light anymore and it gives me "permission", so to speak, to be able to slow down and do what I can. 

I know what you mean about this age thing.   It is depressing at times.   I'm going to suggest something catty, though, that I do.    When I'm out at the mall, at the grocery, or any public place, all I need to do is look around me and see people who I know are about my age and who look about 20 years older!    It's not a cure for the depression, but it does make me feel a little better for a while.  

I'm sorry you're having a bad day, Red.   I hope it gets better.

Rebbie

Reading this thread: