Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

renovation work

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Gang.

well chouette, was talking to the Guys he works with (in the construction biz - my chouette is the accountant) and they pretty much told him 1 cm hole 30 cm of plaster around... with a depth of 1mm... almost transparent!  Then chouette went to the Little local build center and spoke to the LADY there who confirmed this and sold him all the GOOD stuff ...Wide knife, plaster, rollers, etc.... and he came home all Proud  and asked me to do a good job since my wall was the better one!!!  

tooo funnny  and I got a really nice spaghetti supper   but took the nite off for some rest and went to vote.

we start tonite on the Good Job!!!   
15 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The trick with plastering is thin layers. A wide knife and a nice easy flowing stroke. It's better to do 3 or 4 thin layers with minimum sanding than a big ,gobby thick coat that requires oodles of sanding.

An old plasterer

15 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wildcat

Iv done some renovating in my last house I must say I suck!! at plastering But me and the wife had a good time trying to do it and made some great memorys!! We had somone build the house we are in now!! Glad we did that! Remember to try and have fun when working at home enjoy the time with your partner! Don't be scard to get some plaster on your partner!  Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so Get Plastered!! LOL...
Hi gang,

we learned a lot from this project. and first of all we can't plaster!

This morning when the alarm went off at 5:30, my husband acctually spoke to me! not just mumbelled 10 more minutes !!! He was afraid to ask if we could redo some of the plastering and thought that I would be easiest under warm covers and half asleep. 
I was wide awake.  And I was waiting for him!  I wanted him to use this project as a learning experience!  not having others come in and tell him ... you need to do ... and you should ... na look at what you did and judge for yourself!  See what you do not like.  WHy ?  what did you do, what did you not do?    this is how Chouette learns best!!! touch and go!  me it is the read and read and read and understand why - then apply. 

So at lunch he will get a jug of plaster and we will start over some parts.  And I am not letting my anxiety get the better of me. only my fatigue!
Hi Wildcat,

I love a project and yours sounds like fun - until the obsessive stuff starts.  Once I am involved with a project I have trouble walking away from it too.  I used to stay up all night to wallpaper rooms, paint, stain.  It's fun but also very tiring and I find there's a point where I no longer do my best work.  Now I'm better about finding a stopping point.

Try to have fun with your project and take some breaks.  Once finished you can admire your handiwork, I also love that part too.

Wildcat,  the paint color sounds beautiful, but I don't think I've ever seen my breath at -5 C.  So I'll use my imagination.  It would be too cold for me to be outside!  lol

Sounds like you are great at decorating and being creative (the dresser to shelving).  Glad to hear that you are managing your perfectionism with reality (not everything is perfect).  

Maybe you could post a pic when your project is complete - would love to see it!

okay the base coat is down.  that stuff is like spreading glue!  or... eh... frozen cream cheese on fresh hot bread. Even if it latex it has a smell that gives me a headach....

You know there were a whole bunch of things I was thinging of while I was doing the painting ...
*Like I could spend some 300$ to 500$ in new acessories, so I was ready to jump out of my skin yesterday! and Tigre and Chouette kept me busy! maybe a bit hypomanic due to the irregular sleep pattern!
*Like I would have to stop RIGHT NOW and replaster, there were  bumps and uneven places, and the paint was not even, and there was lines in the wet paint ... and whoa!   I had to keep myself on the project and not be detoured by by need to define and redefine what would be "perfect".
*Like I had to trust that I was doing a good job. I am meticulous and detail oriented so I am sure that all is going to be really nice.  So why should I worry about being scolded ???
*Like I now have a million and one more projects... that cannot be done by 8 pm tonite, I want to use my Chouette's old chest of drawers to make shelves in the bathroom to store the refills of bathroom paper, soap, and bubbles, at the 7' height.  The drawer runners can easily become the triangles to support the shelves.  Only I have to remove the old stain and varnish with a water proof stuff I have for the picnic table... (not by 8pm tonite...)
*Like motivation. I timed the thing all wrong and an Really!!! tired but I want it over with! So I refuse to give up and I refuse to give in to the negative thoughts that are haunting the edges of my mind. 
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wildcat,

Sounds like you are getting quite the work out! Congrats on actively working on your fear of heights, good on ya!
Let us know how your masterpiece turns out

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
if my walls could could talk we would have to be careful with the oil-based paints those fumes would start talks about subjects i would rather not share... never mind the birds and the bees...

It would be funny to find out about all the generation of cousins that grew up with my husband ... the gang of wild kids that hid in the ceiling pipes in the cellar, and the monster parties that went on many moons ago, and the making of the cabage and beet preserves for winter!!! (hungarian family)

The colour is a second of four colours on a traditional colour pallet and it is in the sea green  shades.   To tell the truth it is like the mist of your breath on a -5 celcius morning when the grass is all frosted over.  You exhale in surprise and a cloud explodes white ... well the valley mist is a fern-like green to added this white cloud you exhaled.

One nice thing, we got to paint the base coat with Tigre, our 10 yr-old.  My Chouette said "sure you can paint with us so that you will not be 37 and an idiot like your father who barely knows one end of the paint can from the other!"  Tigre was so proud and he discovered that he liked to put paint on with the brush and take the excess off woith the roller ... his technique!
Wildcat, I need a description of that color as well. It's a very pretty name for a paint color.  I still watch that "this old house" show, I think it is on PBS and "if walls could talk".  I think if your walls could talk, we can imagine what y'all would be discussing!  lol

That sounds like a major undertaking!  Keep it up - woman at work!

Reading this thread: