Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

negativity at work

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
faryal,

"Consider having a meeting with your manager to discuss your duties and responsibilities and take the initiative to request a performance review".  i could never in a million years do this, what is wrong with me? all such good questions, rosie, i can really relate!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rosie,

Your frustration is totally understandable.

Perhaps what is happening around you is part of the process of reaffirming your positive core beliefs. You are aware of this belief now more than ever and so you are consciously looking out for situations or interactions where your belief that you are "not good enough" is being challenged and tested.

Is your manager aware that you worked for 18 hours over the weekend? Did he/she articulate that to his boss who is obviously misinformed?

Although you feel disheartened and angry, do not be discouraged by this situation. If you are being productive and accomplishing your tasks, then that will speak for itself. Consider having a meeting with your manager to discuss your duties and responsibilities and take the initiative to request a performance review. In the midst of negativity if you can express yourself positively your superiors and coworkers will notice. Otherwise you are also feeding into the negativity.

Another suggestion I'd like to add is to find moments where you can practice deep breathing, walk away from your desk and get some water or a warm tea, ensure that your lunch hour is for you and away from your work.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know I am starting to sound like a broken record but my job is getting the better of me. I am working on trying to reaffirm my positive core beliefs- my main one that I identified being 'I am not good enough'. I am getting slack from all angles at work though. How am I supposed to believe my positive thoughts if people are telling me I am not performing or doing my job properly. My manager told me that his boss actually announced in one of their meetings that I was sitting in front of the computer and not doing my job over the weekend. I was here for 8 hours on Saturday and 10 hours on Sunday that I could have been home with my husband. I was exhausted and to hear that for all my hard work, I was not 'working' just made me furious and then really miserable. I am trying so hard to be posisitve but my work environment is so negative. Everyone is trying to pass the blame. I am so sick of this place. I was literally fighting the urge to get in my car and drive away- I don't even know where to. Just drive and see if I can get away from this madness that is my life......
How do I believe in myself if other people keep reinforcing my old core beliefs of not being good enough as I am???

Reading this thread: