Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

communication mom of 3

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is difficult to communicate when there is alot of water under the bridge (a KY saying for lots of stuff happened in the past).  However, making "I" statements instead of "you" statements is a good place to start.  Also, don't think about what you are going to say when the other person is talking - listen.  Then take a minute formulate your response.  There is a thing called assertive communication.  It breaks down into different communication styles (poor memory coming up).  I know there is passive-aggressive, aggressive, passive and assertive.  Think about past conversations - can you identify which one you used, which one he used.   

Thanks for your post.  You are correct, communication takes two.  I think it is a problem on both our parts. A lot of hurt, misunderstandings that have festered, and some pride mixed together.  Who is guilty of what and to what degree, I don't know, it probably a mixture of both for both of us.  He says it's the way I say things and I find that I feel the same about his delivery.  It's probably all those underlying emotions showing but I don't know how to stop it.

Mom of 3
Communication is NOT a one party event.  It takes two.  So to say I don't communicate very well is identifying that maybe you have some difficulties expressing yourself, but maybe the person who is the other half isn't very effective either.  You cannot change their communication, but yours.  There is the sender, the message and the receiver.  Can you identify which area is your problem?  

Reading this thread: