Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Pleasant Activities

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Got out for a 45 minutes walk today plus I did a little shopping on my own today. It was a better day today.

Red.

Hi maggee, Thanks, will do.
I'm still working on it..Wishing you a nice day too.

Red.
  :)
10 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Red, If I could remember good stuff,gratitude, when I am going through a big panic attack. Thanks for your reply. I hope you are having a fun,relaxing day. maggee
Today is a perfect time for me to take a little break from it all and engage myself in one of my favorite pleasant activities. Quilting is one of the tools I use to replace the negative thoughts and experiences I am having with positives ones again. I am building blocks of positive thoughts and experiences into my memory..

Ta Ta for now..
Enjoy the day..

Red...

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red

If you are totally engaged in a pleasant activity the chances are pretty slim you will have unpleasant ones intrude. But what about in the middle of the night or half way through the day in a dead end job when you would rather be somewhere else. Those bad thoughts just below the surface are staying there because you are keeping them there is all. 
What do you do to keep them there? Ten questions works but has to be repeated often, virtually every time the negative tries to surface. Would it not be better to find a way to have it not try instead. Would it not be better to have every trigger access a positive instead. For that to happen you have to have more positives in memory than negatives. 
If you do not believe as many don't that every thing you think and do is controlled by past memory then tell me how a person would know how to do anything. We are not born with skills we learn them. And that is a fact.

Davit
Sorry Davit..
Yes I agree to disagree. First off I belief the field of psychology is based on theory not fact so I personally could not take a therapists opinion as Gospel ever. Secondly if I am engaged in a pleasant activity I see no reason to belief that negative thoughts are going to surface while I am engaged in this activity. Yes it is possible they could and it is just as possible that they will not at all. So this is a negative idea/thought that I personally do not want to encourage to enter into my thought process while starting to engage myself in things that I might other wise enjoy of course this is just how I plan on handling these type of negative thoughts when I read them or they are projected my way..

It is called free will and because I have free will I have chosen to not let someone else's negative cord beliefs become mine.  

Red..

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry Red but it is based on fact and like the thought triangle you will not find it either on this site or the internet. My therapist has never been wrong in the five or more years I have known her. You are perfectly capable of drawing on negative experiences at any time. CBT such as this program teaches you how not to. Call them setbacks if you want to but there is a reason they happen it just is not necessary to know why, to do the program.

Again I will say anything I say here is not my own speculation but comes from My therapist or information she has pointed out to me.

It is only information to do with as you will, including disagreeing if you so feel. As is the caveat about this site.

Even the most normal of people have some trauma that surfaces during periods of stress. As a supposedly cured person I can still have bad thoughts fight for control. Does them no good they never last long and they always lose. But that is years of determination on my part. They are never going to win.

Davit

Hi maggee...
Good for you for working through your thoughts and feelings today and seeing the positive side of things. It is good to see the progress that you are making. They Educators here encourage us to give ourselves little rewards for the work we put into working our program. This would be a perfect time to give yourself a little reward for all your hard work.
Getting a new magazine is one of my favorites..What is one of yours? 

Sending Hugs and positive energy your way today..

Red..
These negative thoughts/distortions about pleasant activities having bad feeling and bad thoughts breaking through is not all based on fact. I have not found that to be the case for me personally. There is a excellent session that can be accessed through your toolbox that addresses this very topic. It can be found in session #13, it is titled Worry..I  would suggest reading though it before jumping to any conclusion when working through the program here..This way you will have All the tools and information you need to succeed in the CBT program as it is taught on this site..Of course this is just my opinion and I am just one of the members here but I found session #13 was a real eye opener for me personally..

Red..

10 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, Thank you so much for your encouraging words to me. I like the building a fence one brick at a time. I do get angry at myself my panic attacks,anxiety moments,not giving positive to myself for my good days. My mom suffered badly for years with painful arthritis staying in bed often. She was active,go getter,not suffer with anxiety disorder,maybe ibs years before. She tried to give me support for my anxiety disorders,ibs,as best she could. I took care of her the best I could. I miss her,whew. You Davit I give you credit for getting out there in the world working through your pain and panic attacks, and helping others too. Thank you again for the positive words to think on. Take care. maggee

Reading this thread: