Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Relationship and friendship questions

13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you both for your input

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Sunny!
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the explanation of life coaching Ashley.  That's what I was referring to - the motivation and helping/supportng someone plan their next move in reaching their goals.  I'm glad you are taking the course, I think you are going to be very good. 
Sunny
Hi Dizzy and Sunny,

A Life Coach is an interesting idea to consider.  I am actually almost finished Life Coach certification and often use some Life Coaching techniques on the boards.  Life Coaches do not act as counselors or therapists, they ask questions, motivate and act as a supporter in your corner.  They help you uncover what you find fufillment in and then help you create plans to reach your goals.  I am a big supporter of Life Coaching but then again I may be biased .  Some individuals do therapy and coaching together but working on one thing at a time is certianly understandable.  Before considering it most coaches would want approval from your therapist of social worker.  If you were to find a coach I would suggest making sure the coach is accredited through the ICF.  The International Coaches Federation will also lead you in the right direction to find a coach.  You can often get inexpensive coaching from people who are in training.  

Ashley, Health Educator

Sunny

Hi, Sunny, thanks for your suggestion I have heard of a life coach before but I am unaware of exactly what they would do. Could you clarify as to what a life coach is I.E. a psycholigist, a social worker, or is it none of these, and perhaps where I could find one? The problem I have is that when I went to the cognitive therapist he said to me that he has never had someone fill the work book in its entirety before, and that he never new anyone come in for therapy that new so much about anxiety and panic attacks.  Please understand that I am I no way bragging in fact I am pointing out how I can look to other people like my therapist. In yet at the same time I may have the knowledge but lack the wisdom to apply it to myself. He was under the impression that I was smart enough to solve all my own problems. In my support group I go to there is a man that said I helped him more than I helped any social worker he has ever had. He is a schizophrenic and was asking is there a difference between the mind and brain, I knew exactly why he was asking this, he thought that he was going to think himself out of schizophrenia, I said to him there is nothing you can do about the schizophrenia. The only thing he can do is reduce its impact on his life and reduce his anxiety towards it.  One day I realized what I told him to accept what he has and work on what he can change, is something that I never did before for me, knowledge verses wisdom. As you can see with all my investigation into various disciplines, I was trying to think myself out of panic attacks and anxiety. The one thing my social worker said is that I am exploring too much such as mindfulness, philosophy, cognitive behavior therapy, neuroplasticiy, brain neurotransmitters involved in panic attacks and so on. I would still appreciate some guidance about a life coach but I believe I have to concentrate on cognitive therapy right now and ignore all my other investigations.

Dizzy 

Hi Dizzy,

Sorry I should have been more clear.  I do not want you to go ask 10 girls for their numbers! I just asked that to get you thinking about challenging yourself.  To get you thinking outside the box of what you think is possible for yourself, not to worry about rejection and have fun with it.  The point to get to is to find a way you can look at dating and relationships that will serve you, that will help build your confidence.  Sunny is completely right try not to look at the rejection as negative because it isn't negative. 

As for starting relationships as friends I always think that is a good idea.  However if you start a relationship full well knowing that you want to date this individual in the near future, it certainly can get difficult.  I can see how this would be hard on you.  Do what you feel comfortable with and be honest about your intentions, I think most girls appreciate openness. 

Now back to the question because this is about what you want Dizzy not about what is the right answer or about what girls want!  What do you want to gain from dating?  What sort of experience do you want to have?  What do you want to learn about yourself when dating?

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Dizzy:  Glad my post could help you.  Yeah, I hate it when they say that - you have to work on such and such, but no idea what kind of plan of action.  What you need is some guidance as to how to proceed, and evaluate.  Have you ever thought about a life coach?

Your friend, Sunny
Sunny

I would like to thank you for your honest input I needed a womens opinion to tell me what I have considered a problem with in me.  That is that it is just life it may mean nothing negative about me. This realization goes to one of my core beleif as that I see myself through the way I think outhers see me which is constantly negative. I have had anxiety for so long that I developed this beleif and I am trying hard to chalange it. I have a duality in myself one of extreme insecurity and one that when I was an auditor, I thought I knew everyhting a kind of arogance (or perfectionosm). I am working on this core belief and will be able to work on it more with your post. I know lean towards extreme insecurity. I have also found that I develope the most symptoms when thinking about this subject and when I read where is the place that you avoid this is the stongest one. Thanks again for the reality check (I really needed a kick in the a##) and I thank you for providing it as may see this is the first time I have been able to ask peoples opinion becuase of the anominity of the internet. I was allways to afraid to bring it up to my cognitive therapist and when we broached the subject he simply said that you have to work on relationships which really did not help (it like telling someone with anxiety that they really have to work on it).

Dizzy
Hi Dizzy:  Is what you are saying, that if you invest a lot of time in getting to know a girl, then you have had the time to have "hope", put your hopes up, only to be dashed if it doesn't turn out?  and that is what hurts the most?  That's the way life works.  Nothing is guaranteed.  It might hurt for awhile but confidence in yourself will help you realize that the girl may not have rejected you because of anything negative about you.  It could simply be because she has another boyfriend, or she doesn't want to date right now, or you're not her type - nothing negative there.  Just different people.  You might feel sad for awhile because that was the girl you had chosen but it didn't work out.

As Davit suggests though, speaking with the opposite sex even if only in friendship when you are looking for a more romantic partner, will give you the experience you may need to find that special someone and maybe a new friend too.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dizzy.

Could I have some clarification here. I can't figure out what you are looking for. I presumed you were looking for the confidence to start and hold a long term relationship. Are you of the mind that you can not be friends with the opposite sex unless it is as a relationship so if it never goes past friendship? If so then you are right, you are better to ask as many girls as possible for there phone number and hope you get lucky enough to find one looking for someone long term. I still think you are going to invest a lot of time in uncharted territory. I can not see where this is going to build confidence. But then like I said I am confused.

Here for you,
Davit.

Reading this thread: