Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Holiday Connections

11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Hugs:  Glad we had contact yesterday.  Hope your mom is feeling better today.  Does she have glaucoma?  I know compresses on my eyes used to help too.  Don't mean to be nosey.

I didn't understand what you meant by appts. for a month.  Did you mean home help with your mom?  Do you have other family members who could help?  As I've written before my mom was in a nursing home and even though they did the physical labour, I still felt the emotional part and did what I could when I was there.  It was draining at times.  Sometimes I used to drive home crying because I felt for her.  You have to do both physical and emotional.  It certainly can be draining.  God bless you for your love, patience, kindness, gentleness and honour for your mother.

Thinking of you,
Sunny

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs, 

I hope you're feeling a little more refreshed this morning.  As you know we are here for you when you need that added support and walk with you when you feel drained.  I'm glad you continue to reach out as often as you need to.  
What sort of things help you regain more energy (whether physically or mentally)?  How can you add those 'things' into your day to day life?  Even if it's the smallest of things(!)
Vincenza, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for replying Sunny & Davit,

It is so different at the computer versus being in person or on a telephone.

Maybe there's even a "saturation" rate I found, since a friend called me at the end of the day.  I had to give mom warm compresses at night for her eyes, and I'm feeling drained.  I suppose I feel like I'm dragging myself through a desert, and am parched.

I'm not looking for a lemonade stand,, just drops of water to get me to the next sand dune.

Thanks for providing those drops when you can
11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs:  Yes, staying connected to family and friends is important.  Christmas is such a sentimental season for me and I think for some others too.  I didn't get a Christmas card this year from my sister in Australia nor my brother in Arizona.  I have no idea why, but it bothers me.  I sent them a card early in Dec.  The thought went through my head that now that my mom is gone, no need to contact me as I was pretty much the one taking care of her....then I thought, no that's a negative thought.  I bet they have their own reasons and maybe their cards are late.  
My best friend from where I used to live sent me a card with a teabag attached.  Really cute.  The message said to have a cup of tea at 3:00 p.m. and she would have one too, and then we could think of one another. Well that's exactly what I did as I had time to do it while the turkey was in the oven and before starting the veggies.
I had just served our dinner when the phone rang and it was her.  I had to ask if I could call back as the food was on the table.  I called just awhile ago and had a good chat about our day.  I cleared up everything and refrigerated meat, etc. having a little break right now.  Next, Davit and I are going to have dessert!  Wish you were here for real and have some with us.  The stories we could tell each other!

Sunny

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We get by, by not sweating the little stuff. The holidays are to enjoy. This is probably the most likely time for things to go wrong and tempers to flare. People eat and drink too much so a little leniency is necessary. Of course you don't have too if it bothers you. It is your holiday to enjoy any way you like. 

I hope you all managed to do at least one thing you wanted to.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wanted to leave today, just to get away, but there was nowhere to go.  A cousin left a voicemail, and felt moved.  Later, his sister called, from their dinner, and I felt so much better.  I stayed as someone visited, and I felt the mundane, but comfortable feeling of connection and the nourishment that comes from that.

Hopefully I can reproduce this experience in the new year, but I'm flying solo for over a month, without any help since I couldn't muster the courage to ask for appointments and they all filled up.

I'd like to hear how others' holidays have been

Reading this thread: