Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Balancing Act

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Red

Congratulations on the good check up. Teeth are important. Plastic just isn't the same. I didn't have any say or I would have tried to keep mine.

I feel trying is half the battle, as long as I tried I had half a chance of succeeding. I skype a lady in England and she is not shy about telling me when I am being Mr Grumpy. She says I'm less so now that I'm on my own again. Being in pain is my usual cause for grumpy. Partnering is a chore for me. Still I try anyway and will again I'm sure. I learn something about myself each time. Today I went shopping even though I didn't want to because I was tired and sore. It was good to get out and my seeds are here. That alone improved the day. I won't start seeds for a week. I have to meet Karin at the airport next week and that will use the whole day and tire me out. Karin makes me grumpy because we are so different but still she is a friend.

Davit
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yesterday I used box breathing and mindful meditation while dealing with a grouchy safe person in my life. I stayed calm through out their negative behavior even if they did spoil my shopping trip for a new sofa. Next time I will try to go shopping without my Safe person. I tired to this morning but failed. I am not sure but they may be having a hard time letting go. I guess I will have to go slowly with this one. Not sure how to do this or how it will end. I do feel I need some space now. All I know is I am moving forward and possibly on too. Red:)
Hi Ashley, Thank you for the advice and tips. I used the box breathing and mindfulness while at the dentist today and had almost zero anxiety during my appointment today. I am feeling exceptionally calm and rested this afternoon. Oh and the other good news I got a good report from the dentist I don't need to schedule and more dental appointment except for my cleaning in 6 months..:))) Red...
9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red,

Great work on trying to improve your mindfulness skills. It really does take a lot of practice. Being able to maintain mindfulness for a few minutes is great! Try to remember that it will take time and lots of practice so be gentle with yourself. Try to imagine your mind is sort of like a puppy. It takes time and gentle teaching to teach a puppy new tricks - your brain is the same way. Each time you notice your mind wandering away from mindfulness just gently direct it back.

It can be helpful to ask yourself questions when being mindful. For example, what does the air feel like as it enters through my nose or mouth? Where do I feel tension in my body? What do I feel in my body? What does my feet feel like as they hit the ground? What smells do I smell? What do I hear? Etc.

Once you get better you might also want to experiment with watching your thoughts. I find this very challenging so you might want to work up to it. One example to help: imagine your thoughts floating by on a river or up in the as clouds. Let them slowly pass without judgement. 

Keep us updated. I enjoy hearing about your progress.
Ashley, Health Educator
Didn't get that walk in today but I did get brave and made some phone calls and scheduled some appointments that will be stretched out over the next two months. This is my way of taking my exposure work in small steps. I am feeling relaxed and happy with the progress I made today. So tomorrow maybe I will go for that walk or work on one of my hobbies for a bit. Red....
Today I am going to try to keep it simple and work on my Smart Goals and try to get out for a walk at a near by lake. That will be my mind break for today or mindful walking as some call it.....The getting out is the hard part...Red..
I was trying to practice this idea of mindfulness this morning and it went like this I took a few deep breaths after awaking because I find my mind begins wandering and the wheels begin turning right off the bat as soon as I wake up. I was able to do it for a minute or two and that's about it. I got to thinking about it and decided maybe the best approach was to do what I did as a child in class. I would stare out the window at nothing really maybe the playground or the clouds and I would leave the classroom in my mind and rest my mind of all thoughts for a little while. Of course this turned out to not be to a good thing for me academically but my mind was free of all the clutter and free of being trapped in the classroom. So for me I think it is more about trying to stay in the present than trying to escape it...Red...
Ashley....I have been reading up on mindfulness today and it seems to be a pretty simple concept as long as you don't over think it. Of course that is the whole idea isn't it resting your mind and freeing it up by adding a little mindfulness to your daily life with a little mindfulness that is...:) My walks at the lake are a perfect example of mindful walking as are the rest periods that I take through out the day. Next experiment is doing a little mindfulness when at my doctor and dentist appointments that I have coming up in the next two weeks. I am going to work on active listening and stopping the mind chatter by using mindfulness at these appointments and am hoping for good results...Any tips Ashley, would greatly appreciated...Thanks again Red.:)
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John Kabat-Zinn is the Geru of mindfulness. His first paragraph says the definition is living in the present paying no attention to the past or the future. Yet farther on he says acceptance is necessary. Acceptance of what? 
I'm going to call this the cabbage technique. You coast through life living in the one moment with the past meaning nothing and the future having no plans and accepting all around you has no meaning. It can't or it would reflect on the past and influence the future. Like a cabbage, just being there is all. Cabbages don't have feelings or panic attacks. 
As far as I am concerned the definition is wrong. I think the Buddhists meant living in the positive. At peace with ones past and present. Without a past you can have no creativity or imagination.
Henry Molaison known as Patient HM had 2/3 of his Hippocampi removed. He is a well studied case of what happens when you can not store the past or use it.
This is too close to "off the deep end" exposure for me. Living and being aware of your present surroundings means being aware of the negative also if it is there. This would be then little more building tolerance for rather than changing a situation. Cognitive restructuring on the other hand changes how you look at the situation so you don't have to build tolerance. As a coping skill Mindfulness may work well for some people but I can see no way it can cure anything. It could lead to a cure by adding changing thought patterns to it and using it as a coping skill.
I believe anything that works for a person should be used as long as it's limitations are understood. 

Mindfulness has been used with success to treat children with learning disabilities by teaching them to focus and stay in the present instead of wandering. And does reduce stress. This is a good thing. Achievement reduces anxiety and builds confidence.

Again I think if it works, do it.

Davit
9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh yes. Mindfulness has been around forever but just recently (within the last 20 years) has their been an evidence base supporting it's use in treatment.

I will have to check that article out Red. It sounds interesting!

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: