Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Balancing Act

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you can find them there areAmerican born Buddhist monks that teach traditional eastern mindfulness which is more religion and a way of life built around compassion. There is a lot of positive thought attached to this. Being one with your universe is important. Like a lot of sites that are not complete CBT but claim to be the same is true for sites that claim to be mindfulness. A councillor I know recommends John Cabot-Zynn. He does seem to be popular. Yet to me he sounds too much salesman. Just my thought though.
CBT works for me. I am already at one with my surrounding, I always have been. It is very peaceful. It wasn't learned, it was how I grew up. 

Davit
9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all,

Well, I must admit I am not a mindfulness "expert". Cardio Tech, having taken the 8 week course, would likely have more tips then I do! But if you are interested in mindfulness I encourage all of you to do a bit of your own research.

To me, mindfulness is very simple - the non judgemental witnessing of your thought, feelings and sensations. It is considered a coping tool but to many also a way of living. If I were to give any tips it would be to practice it often, and find ways of incorporating it in your day that work for you. For example, a busy friend of mine said she only had time to practice mindfulness while doing the dishes. She would be mindful of how the dish feels in her hand, the temperature of the water, etc. I myself, love to be mindful while walking or when I am stuck in a negative thinking loop.

Cara, it sounds like being mindful of your thoughts would be a great thing to incorporate into your coping plan. But like I said you might want to work up to this level of mindfulness as I find being mindful of thoughts the most tricky. Starting with sensations and feelings is a bit easier for beginners. If you find any interesting info on being mindful of thoughts please share it with us!

Ashley, Health Educator
Cardio

All the information I have on mindfulness places it in the realm of coping skills but done consistent it builds a positive attitude that can change thought patterns. Am I missing something here? Do you still do it? 

Davit
9 years ago 0 162 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I took an 8-week Mindfullness Based Stress Reduction course last spring.  We practiced being in the moment using our breath as an anchor.  Various types of meditation (ie sitting, body scan and walking) and yoga were a large part of the program.  The course was based on Jon Kabat Zinn's program and I found it really helpful.  I'm sure you can find tons of stuff online about the program.  
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cara! I would like to know more about mindfulness too..Ashley any additional tips would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to use mindfulness to help with things like pain and a little bit of anxiety/depression. Thanks again...Red....
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

Can you give me more information on mindfulness especially the watching the thoughts?

I'd like to do this with my negative thinking?

Thanks,
We come first.

Yesterday I found something else on my list of don't eat things. Canned cherry pie filling. My own pie filling is okay. Some additive in the canned gave me real sore hips. It is going away today so I'm trying to catch up on some cleaning. 
I will get done what I can and when I get too sore I will rest. I'm not thirty any more. If I was I'd be half way up a mountain somewhere cutting down trees. Those days are gone. Just memories now. Today and in future what I get done every day is good enough. If I'm too tired to clean I'm also too tired to make a mess. I've made a routine where I clean as I go and keep a few frozen home made meals in the freezer. No mess and only a few dishes to wash. Today since I'm cleaning and doing laundry I'll take out frozen soup.
Today is chinese new year. Year of the sheep so I will put a lamb roast in the oven to cook all day on low heat. Any excuse to have lamb. 

Davit
Update: Not much to say this morning. I've been in a bit of pain the last couple of days so I spent yesterday resting and maybe today too. It's to early to tell yet. I may know more and have more to contribute here after breakfast..The good news is I am listening to my body and and mind and resting when I need to or is that want to..I think it's a bit of both...Red:))
Hello Ashley and Davit..Thank you for listening and for your support as slways. You do make a difference in my life and the way I see the world...Red:)))
9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Red. Cheers to your mental and dental health

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: