Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Therapeutic Effects of Cooking

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tomorrow I'm going to cook some whole wheat bread, and add some dried basil.  I'm not sure I can tell which jar is the basil jar, but I should be able to smell it.  The recipe only requires 1 1/2 tablespoons, so it should have a Mediterranean taste for a cold Saturday in November.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peaches and cream corn for supper. 3 minutes per cob in the husk in the microwave. Easy supper. Almost no cleanup. with the husk on it steams. Was going to make shredded apple and zucchini cake but ran out of time. Sort of like carrot cake.

Davit
Way too much money. For that much money you could buy the equipment to make your own out of raisins or rhubarb. It is easier than the internet makes it sound. A gallon jug makes four bottles.

Any wine will do for cooking but it should be dry. I have a neighbour who buys a very cheap sherry. Besides it is a matter of taste. The other thing is that once you open it it will go flat before you use it so dry is best but on the other hand if it is a wine you like, you can drink the left over. If you don't want the alcohol, boil it off in a pot. 11% reduction will do it. Make wine jelly with the left over.

For very good chicken use Apple Cider and put an apple in the stuffing. 

Davit
Davit,
How much should a person pay for a purchased wine which would be used for cooking?

The liquor store sells two, and one is 20 and the other 40 dollars.  These seem expensive for cooking.

What do you think?
Never thought about it but when I cut and wrapped my own beef all those expensive cuts were the same price. Since I sold the other cows to pay for mine it was free. I kind of miss that now that I'm paying 5.00 a pound for ground. I used to butcher every year. But there is no stress of doing it anymore. That part might be worth the money. 
The best tenderizer I have found is rhubarb wine. Kind of a waste but it does work. 

Davit
I bought some filet mignon, and mom was unhappy since it was a bit dry.  It was a good treat anyway, and I enjoyed it.  Next time I'll use some mild seasoning.  I've frozen some for another time.  Boy was it expensive!
I did make some wonderful whipped potatoes with an immersion blender.  I don't know what it did to the potatoes, but they were thick as a mousse and delicious!
Baking soda is a base and needs an acid like sour or butter milk or lemon or vinegar to form the bubbles. It is added along with baking powder to make smaller bubbles and a finer texture in which case the cake doesn't rise as much but has a nice heavy texture instead of light and crumbly. It butters better. And it breaks apart without crumbling all over. It does give it a soda taste though and salt should be reduced or eliminated or it will taste salty. 
I like the challenge of baking and there are plenty of ravens to eat my mistakes.

Davit
Hi Davit,
The cake didn't rise, and I did sprinkle baking sugar on top.  Maybe I didn't add enough baking soda, which is supposed to work.  It doesn't taste that bad.
Why would it not rise, Baking powder is a dry base and an acid when mixed with water form a gas. everything else but the sugar is texture. Yeast on the other hand forms bubbles by consuming any available sugar. Salt in quick breads is for taste. salt in yeast bread is for texture and taste. It is unnecessary in either.

When doubling a quick bread recipe don't double the baking powder, it will work till it dries out with cooking.

So did your cake turn out. I'd just icing it.

Davit

Reading this thread: