Depressed or anxious? Trying to quit smoking? Looking to reach your personal healthy weight?

This digital care program has helped thousands of people decrease depressive symptoms, conquer anxiety, quit smoking, and acheive their personal healthy weight.

Don’t take our word for it: browse our communities or register now to create your own free, personalized program.

Browse through 387141 posts in 42832 threads.

115,973 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ifeiu, Scurless, Booboobear88, Kris1234, Dumpy Smurf

Please forgive your mind/body for the anxiety

Ashley -> Health Educator
  • My Logo
6 months ago (Edited 6 months ago) 0 Ashley -> Health Educator 6552 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo

Hi Everyone,

Today I read a quote from someone with anxiety that really resonated with me and I wanted to share: `Please forgive your mind/body for the anxiety, it's doing the best it can given the circumstances." I found this quote very soothing. I often feel we "battle" our anxious feelings and sometimes acceptance is more helpful.

This quote reminded me of the concept Radical Acceptance. Radical acceptance is basically accepting reality for what it is. Fighting reality tends to only amplify emotions. An example of Radical Acceptance with anxiety is instead of ruminating on the anxious thoughts we have and being angry or resentful that we have them at all, instead we accept the feelings and focus on coping with the feelings.

This quote also reminded me of Self Compassion. I hear so many people who struggle with anxiety beat themselves up for being unable to control their anxiety. Instead of beating yourself up, I think it is more helpful to acknowledge how hard anxiety is and how much you have to go through regularly. Acknowledge that anxiety is very difficult to manage and you are doing the best that you can.

I would love to hear what other members thought about this quote!

Thanks for reading,

Ashley

Reading this thread: