Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Coping strategies

13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Guy,

I was reading your post last night and tried your coping skills with one of my muscle relaxers and it really did help...
I also like to write thing out too, I am now thinking about starting a journal on my lap. Thinks for the post...

Hugs,
I don't worry about getting logged out anymore..I have shortened my posts which is much better for me, as for the spelling they have spell check here and the grammar I don't really care or worry about it anyway..It is really not something I ever obsessed over before, so I am not going to obsess over it now..This would be replacing a positive though with a negative thought..like I have to be perfect, when I don't have to be perfect...I am perfectly happy with myself the way I am..

Sid
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I finally did get logged out, and never don't bother with spelling etc.  When I word process, something, if I have to think about something, it seems the word processor does spelling checks, so I don't have to worry about that one way or the other. 
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cdn. Guy:  Exactly!  Being alert to our stress level going up a bit and using the breathing ex. is great.  I use this all the time and it works for me.  It does come automatically doesn't it?  Glad it works for you too.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One of the coping strategies that I use and has become almost automatic is controlling my breathing, by taking a deep breath, pause, exhale, pause, deep breath. I do that cycle a few times and it seems to clear my head a bit and calm my mind. It also seems to help alleviate a bit some of the physical symptoms I get such as tingling arms, tight chest, diziness...you know the drill!

Coming here and rambling a bit helps me too. Sometimes, by putting my thoughts to paper or computer, I can sort them out easier than when I have them all swirling in my head like alphabet soup! I can't make any sense of anything then! But, by having to slow down to write it all out, I can sort things out. Sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot, but it always makes things at least a bit better.

13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sid... ditto getting logged out and ditto big box store anxiety 

I hate getting logged out especially when trying to explain a difficult concept and it takes awhile.  If it is important enough I'll go back and start over.  Sometimes just having written it out in the first place gives me clarity and peace so I just let it go.   Usually if it is important enough to retype... it comes out better, more succinct.  If  I wrote everything out and only sent when it was perfect.... I'd never get anything posted.  Soooo, sometimes I do have to apologize for stuff I've said, or clarify what I've written.... for me it is a good exercise in accepting less than perfect me.  I'm with Davit.... if the Health Educators can misspell stuff.... so can we.... they do a good job modeling for us that way. 
13 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sid,

It's great to hear that your use of 'distraction' helped you successfully cope with the situation at the mega store.  Its also admirable that you have chosen not to walk away from what could be a distressing situation with the sales persons, but to address the (unacceptable!) circumstances with the manager.  

Let us know the outcome and how you felt through this experience.

On a slightly different note, in order to not lose what you have typed and edited before being logged out,  you could try the following:
 - highlight all the text that you wrote
-  Press the 'ctrl' key + 'c'  at the same time to COPY text
- Press the 'ctrl' key + 'v' at the same time to PASTE text.

*If you work on a mac computer, use the key with the apple symbol instead of the 'ctrl' key. 

Hope this helps!  Keep up the good work!!

Vincenza, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sid:  What a bummer about your glasses.  I think you are doing very well, taking time for a break before seeing the store manager with your problem.  Good for you.   Keep the faith,

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

You only have so much time to write a post before you get logged out...The session times out on you here on the site when you are writing a post...

I didn't know you composed your response in a file and send them later...You are much more computer savvy than I am for sure...This is not something I know how to do...I like to spent so of my time on my hobbies or just enjoying other things and people in my life, and this not something I want to learn how to do right now..So I guess I will just keep on doing it the way I am doing it for now..

Thanks for sharing your coping tip.. I kind of do this with the affirmations I have stored in my mind and bring up out of my mind when I need them.
My favorites are..
I will not live you or forsake you.
 I am your rock in times of trouble. 
 I can't take this pain please take it from me...
 the poem "foot prints in the sand"
and last but not least..
"The Twenty-Third Psalm"

I hope I didn't get logged out again writing in this format and this get posted....

Red.....
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Logged out, not locked. 

Davit.
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sid and Davit,
I'm not sure I know what you mean by being locked out?

I've accidently touched my laptop pad, which has does a variety of strange things.  In the past, I was self-conscious of saying something stupid, so I would compose my response in a file, and send it later.

Sid,
My coping skill is to write something on a card, and keep it with me.  I would have used an affirmation I liked, and that would be subjective.

Reading this thread: