Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,551 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Stress from panic attack

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol

Bad entries are for learning and good are for reinforcement. I think you are on the right track. Normal is just a word. I would rather be happy. Happy is a better goal to aim for.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anerol,  great affirmations!  I especially liked how you said every moment matters.  It is so true and it shows how incredibly strong you are that you are able to see that when you are going through a difficult time.  I truly believe every moment, and every emotion is important and we can learn from it.  What are you learning, gaining or being present to right now?

About leading a normal life...  Well, I am not an expert but I can relate to these questions.  I think we can all agree by saying there is no such thing as a "normal" life (thank goodness!).  I was also under the impression that I would never get along with "normal" people (how boring!) .  I also think individuals who lead "normal" lives, and have had "normal" experiences never really get a chance to be extraordinary.  Difficulties we have really push us to learn, to grow and to challenge ourselves.  By fighting each moment, leaving the house for each event (Red) and fighting each negative thought patterns (Wrestler) we are working out our emotional, intellectual, and spiritual muscles.  Even when we are unable to accomplish what we want to today we are still growing; going through the difficult makes us appreciate our successes more and fight harder.  Wow, hasn't this world given everyone quite the gymnasium!?  Like Davit said, as long as we are progressing! 

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,
I do that all the time too.
I always beat myself up after the actual anxiety. I usually write it in my diary and then look for my good entries in my diary and I tell myself that I'll have better days again like that one. It doesn't work quickly but it does make me feel a little better. Lately I'm trying affirmations "It all sucks right now but this is leading me to a better place and I'll find out what that is later. Every moment matters whether it's painful or uncomfortable or fun or not." Normal means average. I'm not average, my life isn't, so I don't use that word anymore.

13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

Yes I have read some of your old posts and you have come a long way since you first came here.  I have also read some of your stories on your web site and I feel that I know you and where you have come from.  You have made tremendous progress as it relates to your anxiety/panic Agoraphobia.  I agree it is a ongoing process that people like you and I will have to deal with to some degree for the rest of our lives.  If I had know that it would take me over a year to make the progress I have made I would still have attempted to get well and I still am.  I think I just need to be patient with myself and accept myself for who I am and make improvements where I can and when necessary.  I think the road to dealing with Agoraphobia is a little longer and more complicated.  I also think it is do able with a lot patience and little understanding. It needs to be dealt with slowly and not rushed.  Mostly we need to accept ourselves the way we are and then we can work on making improvements where we feel we need to.  That is the possibly the key here "where we feel we need to"

Your friend forever,
Red

Red

You know me, we have been here long enough. But you don't know what I used to be like. (read my other post)
As far as I am concerned, normal is what ever you want it to be and even if you aim high it is certainly attainable. 
I think normal is being able to cope with any situation with the minimum of anxiety in the process. We are hard wired to feel anxiety, it is just a survival technique. Fight or flight will always be there and if it wasn't we would probably have died out a long time ago. The object is not to eliminate it but to be able to shut it down when it is not necessary. and this you will learn to do over time. If you knew the program would take a year or more would you have attempted it? Twelve weeks seems so much more attainable and some people with mild anxiety  and determination do get by in that time frame.
Then there are people like me that take longer. The end justifies the means. Time is irrelevant as long as you are still progressing.

Your friend forever,
Here for you.
Davit.
Davit, thanks for the answer.  I do love birds.  I am kind of a bird watcher thats the only place I like to camp where their is a lot of wild life mainly birds. Sent in the ? see what I get if anything.  (I added is that possible a normal life)  I do get tired of it all at times it is a real struggle.

Red
Red it is a Robin and you can see her head on the left side of the nest which is half blue baler twine. That is  how I found it, I wondered what blue baler twine was doing in the tree. Hope you sent in the question.

Davit.

Davit,
Thanks I thought it was.  Is that a bird I see nesting in your tree?  What kind is it?  Nice pic!!!  I do like a change of scenery!

Red
Red

I think it is a good question for the expert.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and shared stories. I had a better day today. I really did not have any serious depression or anxiety today. I know that just posting here is always a big help, and receiving input from everyone helps even more.

I was really getting into the negative thought pattern yesterday. The voice inside my head kept wondering if I was getting worse or better. Even last Saturday, I was in my kitchen and started to think that I felt bad like I used to. I used to have these depression episodes where I was not just thinking about being depressed, but I actually felt it 24-7 for a period of time. That is not what happens to me now and has not happened for a while.

I really started to get a handle on it when I switched jobs 2 years ago - a job I now no longer work at- but changing jobs help none-the-less. The job I have now requires me to be in a vehicle for much of the day as I go inspect houses. I know when I get into a negative thought pattern that I have to put the STOP sign up. Today my STOp sign was music. I listened to more music that talk radio today. Sometimes a change helps.

So I am happy that I had a positive day and am about to get on the bike. And even though I felt bad yesterday for a while, when I came home, I had my best shoulder workout in a few weeks.

And Red, I really do not know what a normal life is either. I do know that my life is never boring. A while back, when I was looking for my soulmate, I sometimes wondered if I could handle a relationship, as I felt like such a mess all the time. That all ended when I met my wife.

I hope you made the tea party. Try some chamomile. :-)

Reading this thread: