Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

New to CBT

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo.

Being in the doctors office was one of my first phobias. It is gone now but I can remember sweating through the wait. I have one left and it too like all of them is unreasonable. It is claustrophobic thought. Not actually being in tight places but the thought of having been there. A "what if" phobia. Probably the worst kind and one I just can't totally get rid of. Thing is with phobias is that they are unreasonable fear and once you know and accept this then you can start to tell them to go away. It takes time with layers of positive thought one on top of the other, burying the negative thought so deep you can't bring it to the surface. When panic increases slowly it is because you are doing just the opposite, you are dwelling on the negative. Instead of saying "I've had another attack", accepting the fact and getting on with life, you build on it by worrying about when the next will come. Point is. You survived it. So learn how to relax and how to cope so you can ignore them when they come. First time I said "I am not doing this any more" and it went away I was surprised. The second time I was amazed. Piling positive thought on them works, not always as well as I would like but it certainly works. If you read other posts you will see other people doing this same thing. Maybe in slightly different form but still the same. Building positive thought and action to bury the negative till the time comes when you do it without conscious thought. You know you are winning when days go by without anxiety and you never noticed it wasn't there.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo:  Welcome to the forums:  I'm very gald that you have found this site.  I think the CBT program is the best for anxiety and panic.  I hope you will give it a try.  You can work at your own pace and the health educators are here to help you.  Pls. post as much and as often as you wish.  We are a friendly bunch here and help each other through whatever.  Good luck and keep posting.
14 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi...I am 46 and looking back I realize that I have had anxiety/panic for as long as I can remember... of course  gradually increasing to the point where I am at now.....but until the last few years or so didn't  realize what it is that causes my symptoms... other than my spouse  I don't tell anyone about it...along with my many phobias seeing a doctor is high on the list. I'm looking forward to this program and  am hoping to learn  a great deal!

Reading this thread: