Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

New to CBT

14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck tomorrow Cleo.  Let us know how it goes.  What I usually tell myself is that they've seen it all.  I'm not that special.
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cleo,
I want to say welcome to the group and good luck with your Dr. visit tomorrow.  It sounds like you are on the right track using the 10 question list.  I use this list all the time and have found it to be a invaluable tool for me.  Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly several times also helps me to relax. Also a diversion of some kind is helpful. Looking at a magazine, doodling on a piece of paper anything to relax your mind for a little while helps me also. Just think about how good you are going to feel about yourself after you go to your Doctors appointment.  Going through with this exposure will make going to the Dr. easier the next time you have to go. Let us know how it goes.  I will be rooting for you today and tomorrow.

Red
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo,

I'm glad to hear that you are using the 10 questions to challenge your negative thoughts about the doctor visit. Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow, continue to read through the forums. We will be thinking of you tomorrow, check in to let us know how it goes.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone
Well the big day ...docotor's visit...is tomorrow...My anticipatory anxiety is high today...Everytime it comes in my mind I have been trying to ask the 10 questions and write the answers down. Its not easy to calm down ...the negative thoughts  seem overwhelming. I want to go...but I'm scared ..its been along time...the "what ifs" are horrible. But, even though the thought of just not going is there ...(I have tried this before..made appt's then cancelled)  I'm pretty sure I'm going no matter what, because  when I've chickened out before I felt immediate relief ...short-lived....followed by even more anxiety. So wish me luck...and thank-you so much for this forum. I have been reading a lot of the posts, they are very informative and enlightening.
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo,
those are similar ways I tackle my negative thinking too. I try to tell myself that what I feel is just what I feel and not the truth. It's my negative side of my mind that is just blabbering. The way I usually calm myself at the docs. is by telling myself that these people are professionals and they know what to do in whatever  negative scenario I envision. Best wishes.

14 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice to meet you! You've come to the right place...I'm fairly new too but have made dear friends here and have always gotten wonderful advice. Good Luck
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cleo.

I have never heard of any one passing out from a panic attack. Going blank for a bit or losing time, but never passing out. It just doesn't Happen. And you would have to be very old with a bad heart to die.
Intentionally bringing on panic is a final stage of the cure and it is so you can see if you have the coping skills firmly in place. Actually by the time you finish the program these skills should be so firmly in place that purposely causing panic is almost impossible to do.

Davit
14 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks to everyone for their replies..I came by this site the other day by googling anxiety cures...started reading it and thought it made sense ....I'm sick of avoiding  things and running from my thoughts.Writing down my negative thoughts already  has opened my eyes to how much  I "fret" over things  without trying to look on the positive side..or at least that its not going to be "that bad".  The  doctor's visit next week...thinking negative thoughts.....now  I try to replace them with reality thoughts..its just a dr.s visit....It's not going to kill me...etc...When I  read that some people actually do things to make them feel  similar to having a panic attack it hit me that although I've had hundreds of them I  havent passed out and I'm  still alive so how bad are they? At least there's not an elevator at her office! haha. One thing at a time.

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo!
Nice to meet you and I'm glad you've joined.  Seeing doctors are scary... but I'm more afraid of dentists.

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Cleo,

The program will help you a lot.  Many members can attest to this.  

Feel free to talk to us about this.  It is important to share what you are going through.  Realize you are not alone.  We will help you through this.

What brought you to the site last night?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: