Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,536 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

My thoughts

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Faith:

I think it's a wise decision to focus on controlling your thoughts once you have mastered that component I'm sure the  exposure will become more manageable.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Faith,

It sounds like you are on the right path. You know yourself best, so take your time, and utilize the program in whatever way works best for you. I think that it is a good idea to stop the exposure therapy, especially if you are finding that it is making matters worse instead of better. Like you said, begin by challenging your everyday negative thoughts, and once you have mastered that and feel confident, then begin exposure therapy once again.

Members, do you mind sharing your thoughts?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I stopped exactly following the program almost 2 weeks ago now. I stopped doing exposure therapy because I was re-traumatizing myself. I stopped recording how each day went. I think I need more time than most people in order to retrain my thinking patterns, because I've had the same phobia for at least 14 years. My brain is so used to panic switching on at the merest hint of my phobic object that there is as yet no time for me to insert any breathing, muscle-relaxing, or thought-challenging between the stimulus and the panic. I hope to widen that gap by first working on challenging my anxious thoughts when I'm not actually panicking - that I am better at doing, and there are plenty of them to work on too!

Has anyone faced the same "roadblock" in their journey? What do you (especially the health educators) think about totally stopping the exposure therapy until I have better control of my thoughts? This is what made sense to me, and my psychologist also said he thinks it's a good idea because my thoughts are still so hard to control at this point. But I'd love to hear your thoughts too! Thanks everyone! :)

Reading this thread: