Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

My thoughts

15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone

Thanks for sharing what you do.  Whenever I have a moment like I think I'm having a stroke or dying etc.. I do something totally random.  I lift hand weights or I sing out loud (if I'm home alone only..lol) to know that I have my complete voice, sometimes I do sit ups.  Things that I couldn't possibly do if I were dying from my panic attack.

It's a great way to get through the moment and well, even get a bit of excercise.

I do like the license plate idea in the car...great one for when you're confined like that.

cheers!

DM
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Those are some great tips members.........thank you for sharing!   Feeling like you are still in control is the single-most critical factor in keeping the anxiety and panic at bay. It's great to see that some of these techniques do help and are empowering.   Keep up the great work! Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Faith,

You are most welcome!

I am glad you are feeling better and are discovering you are in control. Those kinds of breakthrough are just so life changing. When I first had a glimpse of that I was so empowered and I am glad you are empowered too!

As for the tips you both shred, Faith and CrabbyRoad, I think they are great. I use some of those myself. I think it is great that you share your worth of knowledge with us :)

15 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another tip, if in a car (being stuck at the railroad track crossing, or left hand turn lanes really get to me like being in line at the grocery store) is to add the license plate numbers of cars in front, or road sign Junction 151 and 27 for example, I will look around at house numbers or telephone numbers listed on business fronts and add them, it helps keep the focus off the I wish this light would turn green NOW.
15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva, thanks for asking! :)

I have been doing much better lately. Learning some great stuff - like the things I tend to do are to catastrophize and to overestimate the likelihood of something happening. And I've been thinking about those two things for awhile, but the newest one has been convincing myself that I am not, in fact, going to lose control. My therapist says that lots of people think they're going to lose control or go crazy during a panic attack, but there are actually ways you can prove to yourself that you're not. You can do things like have a conversation with someone to show yourself that your brain is still working; do some simple math problems in your head to show yourself that you can still concentrate; walk around the room or take a certain number of steps on purpose to show yourself that you're in control of your body. Somehow I'd never thought of that idea before, and I find it's so helpful! I AM in control - hooray!

I hope that helps others too :)

And thanks again for checking up on me, you're so sweet - I really appreciate it!!

Hey Faith,

How have you been?
15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much everyone! I was just pondering this problem again tonight as I discussed it with someone close to me. Not everyone agrees that stopping exposure therapy is a good idea, so I might just start doing the easiest pictures again as of tomorrow, not pushing myself at all until I feel I'm truly ready for the hard ones again. It's been a few weeks now I guess.

I have not been doing very well because I've had a bad cold for a week and a half that I can't seem to shake, even though I've just been lying around waiting for it to go away (I've still been working, and doing what I absolutely have to do, but that's about it!). And the lying around makes me kind of sad and depressed, because I'm not accomplishing anything and I feel lazy and useless. On top of this, I think I have IBS and am dreading going to my doctor to actually find out if I do. I don't fear doctors, or going out of the house or anything (except when I'm having a bad "IBS" [or whatever it is] day and I don't know where the nearest washroom will be!), but I'm not a big fan of the idea of the procedures they might have to do to find out just what's wrong. :S

Thank you all for asking, and for caring, and for replying! I love these boards. :)

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jhori,   Thank you for those encouraging words! Faith, how have you been doing since your last post?   Stay close to the boards, we are here for you!     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heya Faith,

I think you have a great idea.  I've hit the same roadblock maaaaaany a times, when I feel everything is overwhelming me...I step aside for however long I need, and "re-focus" my mind.  No point in going on when you feel it isn't helping, right?

One of the quotes on here says something about, it doesn't matter how hard you fall, but that you get back up.  Sounds like your already back up and moving in the right direction!

Cheers!
Hey Faith,

I think you are the best person to know what is good for you. But I do agree that sometimes thought challenging can be a very good solid base for moving on. And anyway, this is a program to do at your own pace. So take your time, master thought challenging, and then move on! Hang in there!

Reading this thread: