Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Today

11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

I'm going to sign off for now and get a good night's sleep and revisit your question tomorrow.  I'm sure I'm just over tired.  It was sure fun posting with you today :) 

Shari
Hmm...I think my lack of sleep for the past couple of days is catching up with me. Would you mind giving me an example of what you are looking for, or rephrase the question?   My thought train has derailed and I'm not sure how to answer the question.  Thanks.

Shari
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great ideas Shari!

But how will you specifically remember this moment? I'm just curious

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley,

I'm still laughing re:  my restraint by just eating half of my blueberry bagel.  It even feels great to laugh. I felt like I haven't laughed in awhile, so I hope I don't strain myself - ha ha.

This is really important, because it is easy to forget your successes and just focus on the negative, because the world trains us to think this way.  For example, the news on t.v. reports more bad things than good, so that's what you focus on or look for. It's important to either keep a written record of your successes in a journal and/or keep an encouragement box.  The latter is where, people who love you have sent your cards or words of encouragement or you can print out an email that is uplifting.  When you get down on yourself or can't remember how you got through something, you need a physical reminder or record of it.  So, you can read it, in black and white, the proof and evidence of your success.  Or, re: your encouragement box, you have a visual record of positive quotes or anything that uplifts you.  You can cut out pictures from a magazine of things that make you happy and trigger a memory of a successful time.  Otherwise, you will forget and it's detrimental to your continued success. I hope this sparks even more ideas of things you can do to remind yourself.  

Shari

Shari,

You brought tears to my eyes - ok I'm a bit of a suck but wow! Beautiful!

Thank you for sharing your success with us and inspiring the others who will be reading this.

Enjoy it Shari! These are the kind of moments that make life so sweet. How can you remember this strength and positivity if you ever feel like a victim again?

Yummy reward! I love blueberry bagels! You showed such restraint by just eating half

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks Ashley!  

I almost think the reward itself was standing up to my husband and making a positive change in my life :)  Today, after talking with my Realtor friend, I went to the local coffee shop and I couldn't decide if I wanted a blueberry bagel with plain cream cheese or a pecan braid, so I got both!  And, a decaf coffee.  I went home and ate half of each and saved the rest for tomorrow :)  When I went out today I felt six feet tall and I was just beaming.  I wasn't aware that I was, initially, but everyone was just smiling and beaming back at me, so it must have shown.  I can't explain the pure joy of it all. If we didn't have bad days to compare our good days with, victory would be less sweet :)  

Shari
Shari!!!!

Congratulations!

This post made my day. Very happy to hear you were able to push through your fear and pain and take action. That takes courage, strength and intelligence. What a strong woman you are! It sounds like you are very present to this big success but I still hope you celebrate with some reward. How would you like to celebrate?

If nothing else I hope you are able to enjoy some much needed rest. 

YES!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley, It's Shari.  Wow - re:  bad days often push people to make needed changes which lead to much better days, so in a sense bad days are important.  It is so ironic and true, because I just experienced it last night and things are better today.  I hit rock bottom and was so stressed, because of my husband not actively doing anything about his impending lay off.  He's looking for work, but re: a possible foreclosure on our home, he's just waiting for it to happen rather than being pro active.  I was dizzy to the point of blacking out and I realized I have to take a stand, because my health is suffering.  So, I told him that we are subdividing and selling our land and are using the money to pay cash on a house in my home town where I have the support of friends and family.  That way when he's laid off, we won't have a mortgage to pay and we can live off of his unemployment checks and be able to pay for food and electric bills while he's looking for another job.  I couldn't sit by and lose our house and then have us move in with my parents in Florida and when they aren't around anymore, I'd be isolated and alone 1,000 miles away from friends and family.  I had to put an end to the mental and emotional abuse that started affecting my health.  I told him I was calling my Realtor friend and he said Okay.  So, today I talked with her and we have started the process and I no longer am a victim.  I just could not take it anymore and I fought for myself.  If I had not been pushed to my limit, this would have not occurred.  I'm thankful for the negative situation, because I was able to turn it into a positive situation. I'm exhausted from all of the drama, but now it's a good kind of tired.  I wouldn't have change a thing and I am looking forward to my future instead of dreading it. I encourage everyone to plow through whatever difficulties and challenges you may be facing.  It will not stay the same.  Life is about perpetual change.  Sometimes it seems like you've been waiting for years for a breakthrough, but the day will come when it does.  

Shari
Hi Sunflower Painter,

How are you feeling today?

Shari gave you some great advice - It's ok to feel bad some days.  So true. In fact bad days often push people to make needed changes which lead to much better days.  So in a sense bad days are important.  

What's important about today?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is good advice about pressuring yourself. I feel bad and then feel bad about that! Doesn't really help the situation at all.

I do feel much better knowing others are also going through this.

Thanks so much, you are a friend!

Sunflower

Reading this thread: