Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Waking Up in Panic

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Teebs

It is a little like that saying "never go to bed mad". Journaling definitely works. One should always go to bed thinking positive thoughts which means to me that one must do something with the negative ones fist. I used to type on my computer for a night time journal and in the morning read what I typed. Often it seemed silly that I was thinking those thoughts. Soon they went away.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit - The last few times I've been up in the middle of the night I've journaled all my negative thoughts until I've been able to fall back asleep. This seems to be helping, as I go back to sleep sooner and am able to stay asleep after one episode unlike some other nights. Maybe I should try journaling before bed?
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Teebs

Negative thoughts are all survival techniques so negative thought will keep you awake till you either get rid of them or get too tired to stay awake. So how can you get rid of them. Beating a pillow might help but if it doesn't try heated milk. Heating milk releases Triptophan that helps you sleep.

Davit
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome MaryLouise!  We're glad you're here!  

Hi Teebs -  One good night's sleep is a success!  You'll be able to string a few good night sleeps together.  I know it's frustrating, but practice and patience will win in the end :)

Shari
How quickly my confidence from a few days ago can fade! Here I am experiencing another middle of the night episode, and recovery again feels far away. Why can't I have more than one good night's sleep?

MaryLouise - welcome back. This is indeed a very friendly and helpful place. I'm back participating in discussions after a break myself, and am so appreciative to have an understanding ear to turn to. Feel free to chime in any time! Being gentle and kind to yourself must be a huge part of your healing - I'm still learning how important this for me in my own recovery! The critical, self-judgmental voices can be so loud.
11 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello everyone
I'm MaryLouise and it has been awhile since I was in a discussion. But I am here now and have been viewing some threads. I like that you are all so friendly and know something about each other. I'll start off by saying my psychologist suggested this website and that it along with other sources has helped my anxiety and depression. I find myself resorting to tools when I'm overwhelmed. I returned to work after being off 2 years and I work for a welfare program in my city. It can be stressful and there is lots to remember. I am looking for another position which won't be so demanding and requiring me to be judgemental and punitive. I have found writing and using my network of friend most helpful. When I am frightened or worried I ask myself "how bad is this, what would be the worse thing that could happen? This helps to anchor me and realize my fears are not warranted. I am very gentle and kind to myself. Anyhow I am enjoying the spring, we had tremendous wind and ice storm here in Ontario and today we had sun which was welcome sight.

take care everyone, I will be diligent in checking into panic center more often.
Hi Teebs,

Glad to hear that.  I need to exercise, so I can sleep better too.  

Thanks, Shari
Shari,

That's awesome! You are so talented.

Yes, he definitely hangs out with the dragons. Trying to remind myself he doesn't have any teeth!

Discharged a lot of negative energy yesterday by beating up on a punching bag for a little bit. The result: first time sleeping through the night in almost two weeks. The relief and calmness that followed stay with me for about 24 hours and it felt great. Starting to feel more anxiety creep back in tonight, but at I least I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel from this set back after several very difficult weeks.

Teebs
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shari,
Nice avatar, and artistic!
Hi Teebs,

I knitted a tiny toothless lion for you.  I mentioned him about 5 posts ago on this thread.  He doesn't look too scary, he just likes to think he is.  He likes to hang out with the dragons.  Thinking of you.

Shari :)

Reading this thread: