Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

dentist tomorrow

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ooo i didnt know that about the anesthetic DB . Something worth bearing in mind . Thanks for that bit of info , hope it helps you Minnie .

Rooting for you , no pun intended

15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Minn,

I've recently been to the dentist for a filling, which was fine - and the biggy; an extraction.

The filling went well.  Minor pain.  I've had worse pain from anxiety-related chest pains!!

I was terrified of the extraction, though.  And I kept putting it off and putting it off until I couldn't take the toothache any longer.  So I went and it went OK.  It wasn't pleasant, by any means, but it's not meant to be.  Even people who have never had panic disorder in their lives find it quite scary. 

I won't lie - it is nerve-wracking.  But the feeling you get when you come out of there.  The sense of achievement is incredible.  It's not just the dentist - it can stand for your accomplishments.  It stands for victory walking out of there knowing you did it.

One piece of advice that I would give you that may well help you a great deal:

Dentists use anesthetic, as I'm sure you are aware.  What you might not be aware of however is that there are two kinds of anesthetic you can receive.  One has adrenaline and one does not.

Adrenaline is the hormone which is released during panic attacks, known as the fight or flight hormone.  It makes you anxious, jumpy, alert and springs your muscles and brain in to 'danger mode'.

Ask for an adrenaline free anesthetic.  It has no problems associated with it, it just takes slightly longer to kick in. 

Please come back and let us know how you got on.

DB

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok Minnie , i know im a fine one to talk cos i only go when i have toothache but here goes . The injection is the thing that gets me , i have had quite a few painful ones and work done when i wasnt even numb . But the last time i went they out a cream on my gum before they did the injection . OMG it was fantastic didnt feel the needle at all . See if you can ask for this , couldnt reccommend it enough .

Will be thinking of you , i know you can do it this time ( yes i do have a cheesy grin atm lol )
15 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI, I have the dentist tomorrow, i've cancelled about 8 times, but I have decided to go for it tomorrow.  The biggest thing that scares me is the needle.  My last dentist gave me so much pain, I actually screamed in the chair, and my hubby heard me in the waiting room.  I hate the numb feeling also, it makes me panicky.  One time at my dentist in Toronto, he numbed me and went off, I got so panicked I got up and left and went home all numb, before he did anything.  This new one said that there are other options to the numbness and the needle.  So my friend is taking me as my hubby is working late, and i'm just going to go and get it done.  I think i'll take my ipod and listen to some music while they are prepping the crown.  Once its done tomorrow, I have two more for the crown, but after that it will be at least done. 

Reading this thread: