Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,563 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

travel anxiety

21 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, and in answer to Evelyn, I'd suggest that one of the things that might help you is to make yourself comfortable in your mode of transport to get to these unfamiliar places. If your car is a 'safe place' or riding on a train is a 'safe place' then you'll have a lot less stress during the journey and arrive with a lower level of anxiety as your starting point. Maybe you could find a comfort object to take with you to remind you that you're safe, as a substitute for the familiar person? Or you could use the distraction technique to help to keep yourself from building anxiety enroute - I travel a lot better by myself if I'm engrossed in a good book or writing a letter or listening to music/a story than I do if I'm just sitting there feeling trapped. The fear of anxiety returning is NOT the same thing as the fear of the object or place... you're not going to fail. You've done it once and that's GREAT... now remember to tell yourself that whatever you do once you can do again :)
21 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breathless, Scary as it is, the only way to make an 'unsafe' place into a 'safe' place is to go there. Positive visualisations and relaxation techniques can help and are a good first step, but if you never actually go there in the flesh you're still restricted. But you don't have to go there every day... that would just overload you. You have to pace yourself at a rate that you can handle. It's like if you decide to run a marathon - you don't suddenly get out of bed and go and run 50 miles on the first day. If you did you'd probably kill yourself! You start a training regime and gradually work up to it, and you have to give yourself rest days in the middle. I am on benefits and I have to deal with the social security department frequently (Ugh) and it's one of the things that really scared me witless. I had to work up to it gradually. The first time I tried to persuade myself to go and apply I had a screaming panic attack just thinking about the WORD 'Centrelink'... so I abandoned proceedings, but the idea of doing it sat in my mind and simmered. I thought about going there lots of times and each time it scared me a little less... I pictured myself doing it and being calm and having an easy time and walking out HAPPY... and then eventually I picked up the phone and called them, and even though I was too scared to talk to them myself (I had to get my mother to do it for me) I was able to make the call. And then I went to the building with my mother and it wasn't as bad as I'd feared... six months later I'm able to go there by myself and my greatest feeling is annoyance at having to stand in their queues! It's become part of my routine, and not such a terrifying prospect. But if I'd never made the first move, I'd still be cowering in my bedroom without any income. This wasn't a fast proceeding - it probably took twelve months in total, because the first time I tried to do it I couldn't get further than the initial thought and then I had to leave it alone for three months.
21 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I began exposure work towards restaurants and malls by first going with someone that I trust. I found the more that I would go the more successful visits I would have. I know for me after seeing my therapist that I have coping methods in place for when I am going out. I do deep breathing and find that if I have completed Yoga or meditation before going I am far calmer before venturing out. One of the coping things that I do involves visualization with a safe color. (Purple) is my safe color and I in vision myself being covered with a warm purple coat and I carry a purple pen. I know that this sounds silly but this worked for me when I was having really bad panic attacks. I don't usually require this method any more. Michelle :)
21 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have major problems with restaurants in particular and malls if I am by myself. My doctor suggested staying away from situations which bring on severe bouts of panic until I start to feel better. I find it helps because I'm not worrying about having to go to a restaurant or mall by myself because my partner knows I'm not comfortable with it yet and it very supportive.
21 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The desensitising? Does this mean that you should continue to go to your "unsafe" zones and have panicattacks? I have always thought that if you keep having the panic attacks, say for example, "the malls", that the adrenaline never has a chance to "settle" so to speak and it snowballs from then on, unless you stay away for awhile. Like boiling a pot of water, if you cool it down it takes longer to boil than if it were still warm? Any thoughts? Is this a standard practice? Janice
21 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can so relate.. I am finally in a position in my life where I could afford to be spontaneous... but mentally,, just fall on my face. I take pride in the business trips that I overcome and conquer.. how sick is that? Its my job...!! Anyways... traveling sucks the life out of me because of anxiety.. glad I am not alone...Here to tell you though.,. No matter how scary.. it CAN BE DONE>>> IF I CAN DO IT>... yep so can you...hug
21 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a huge fear of travelling. For me, its leaving my comfort zone (which seems to be getting smaller and smaller). Most of my friends travel, and i have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in exposing myself to that kind of trauma! When i absolutely have to go somewhere unfamiliar, i make sure that i'm with someone i'm comfortable with. I cannot do things spontaneously, i need at least a few days preparation. This is what i hate, b/c i would love to pick up and have fun, but i always have to think first about whether i'll be ok, and whether the activity is worth the potential aftermath.
21 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Evelyn... I have deadly major fear in flying... Ihave to fly about 4 times a year for work... it takes me three days to prepare for a 1 hour flight.. it is embarassing... Please advise how you cope???> I tak xanax... but I am going off that soon... so what next??
21 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Taking a short, say, 2 hr. trip--just for the day, then 2 hrs. return. I was just determined to overcome, and next, hope to go a bit further, say, 3 hrs. overnight, just gradually build up time (distance, and days away). I'm just determined not to be in a self-imposed limiting lifestyle.
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Evelyn I find what you say interesting. I'm interested to know what kinds of things you have done to desensitize towards traveling to strange places, iThanks in advance. -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator

Reading this thread: