Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Separation anxiety

17 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rowan, I can totally relate. Those unpleasant heartbreaking/fear feelings are exactly what I experience when I go back to my work week knowing I won't see my bf for the whole week. Every week the same thing happens. Your worries about being too attached or dependent on your bf is also a worry of mine. We should talk!
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rowan, You can be without him you just need some more practice. You were going to shops and the gym! Start off slow and small and keep working at it. Work through the program and keep trying to find ways to challenge those anxious thoughts. You've already made some great headway! Congratulations! Remember, baby steps. You'll get there. We're cheering you on. Danielle _________________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I was really glad to see your post as i am experiencing separation anxiety for the first time and was really freaked out as to what it was. I have had really bad anxiety for the past month and my boyfriend was the one person i could rely on to talk me through it. I made him come everywhere with me for a month and eventually i started to do small things on my own such as go to the shops or to the gymn. I thought i had mastered being alone and out on my own then my parents asked me to housesit for them for 5 days. As soon as I got here I started to feel hideous. I really missed my boyfriend and my dog and started to feel utterly desperate without them. I know it is natural to miss someone you love when youre apart but this was not a nice feeling, its very scarey as i start to panic and obsess that something will happen to him or something will happen to me and he will have to go on without me and will eventually get over me and move on. I get this horrible choked up feeling that i can only describe as being overwhelmed by love and a desire to be with him but not in a good way, i feel very out of control and like im in a heartbreaking situation when actually he is only 20 minutes away. I keep feeling like 'this is the end of it all' when actually hes calling me every day to tell me he misses me too. I don't want to fall into this as I have already put upon him so much and hes been so supportive of me. I think I agree with some of the other posts that when im busy doing something i dont think about this as much. I think there is a healthy amount to miss someone but you can tell inside yourself when its getting out of control. I dont know about you but i dont want to let my boyfriend know how im feeling as i dont want to scare him, and weve been together for years and years! I dont know how to deal with these feelings as i dont want to feel like i can never go away without him or be on my own again.
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kitty, Use the program and start to challenge those thoughts. The Panic Program can walk you through each of the steps needed to challenge these feelings. Take it slow and let us know if we can help :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have separation anxiety too. My bf works nights and I work days. we've been together for over a year, but I've had panic disorder for maybe 9 months. We spend weekends together and I feel great, but I have recurring thoughts of how the weekend is going to end and I'll be alone. On Sunday nights when he goes to work I have meltdowns or panic attacks. Lately I've been taking xanax on sundays to avoid attacks, and that works pretty well. I still have breakthrough anxiety though. I have a lot of anxiety during the week about going home to my place alone. Bf is moving in next week, but we still won't see eachother all week with opposite schedules. I hate the cycle of fear every day when the sun goes down and I start feeling afraid to be alone. Afraid to go home alone. I also had separation anxiety as a child when my mom, who had stayed home to raise us, went back to work. Mostly it was that I was afraid of my dad and when she left it meant he was in charge and I felt unsafe around him.
19 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi David I too am suffering from separation anxiety, I don't think I really experienced it before. I too have a new love 3 months old, and he has to keep leaving for 2 or 3 weeks at a time for work out west. It's horrible when he leaves I go into a complete meltdown. I have staring seeing a phycolgist and I am hoping she can help with all of this fear, anxiety and panic, I've also become agraphobic, I havent worked in 4 months now. It's comforting to know that their are other people out here that share the same experiences.
19 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler, Thanks for the reply... I see you do yoga I was thinking about doing that myself a couple of months ago. Just with everything going on in the last few months I haven't had time or I haven't been feeling well and when that happens I don't do anything. I'm trying to do this breathing exercise the Physcologist taught me, but I'm having trouble with it. I'll just have to keep on practiceing. Thanks again I will talk to you later. Ruby..... ;p
19 years ago 0 98 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad you had a good visit. It's good to get the first visit overwith and then you can move along to feeling well. I have found that yoga has helped me a lot with my breathing and feeling good physically. I used to be just a weight lifter, but now with yoga I feel more rounded as a person. But once in a while I fall into a period of thinking too much and my anxiety level increases and I have a problem like last weekend. But I feel that was an isolated incident. Good luck with your progression. David
Hi Wrestler, I thought I'd write back and let you know how I went at the Phscologist. She asked me alot of questions, I won't go into them because it was to many and I probably need a hole page, so to cut it short she said I had GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder)with the potienal of getting Agrophobia. And what she means with Agrophobia is that because mine has gotten worse and if I don't do something soon I will end up with Agrophobia. She did explain to me alot about anxiety and how it works. She said alot of it is caused by your thinking. You have to change the way you think, she said that is very important. She has started me off by doing breathing excercises because she said this is the key, if you learn to do the breathing excercise properly this will elimate the anxiety attack straight away, so I have to practise that 10 times a day, then do some muscle relaxation as well 10 times a day. Thats what I have to do for the next week. Then when I go back to see her in a week we will go on to the next stage. She did teach me three things this is what she wrote on a piece of paper for me to take home and read. 1. To take your power/control back from anxiety you need to confront the anxiety by standing in your fear- doing your deep breathing. 2. Avoidence of anxiety- powers the anxiety and weakens you. 3. Confrontation of anxiety weakens the anxiety and increases your power and control. I am going to keep going, because I feel this help me alot. Ruby............................
Hi Wrestler, I'm tired tonight so I'm going to bed, I will write to you tommorrow to let you know how I went at the phscologist today. I hope everything is okay with you, Ruby................. ;p

Reading this thread: