Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Working on Treatment Goals - A Big Challenge

12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit...i love what you said about allowing yourself to slow down!!
That was a great comment!
I will remember that one!
bren

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eleveno,
Thank you
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs4u. I had to resize photos because of the image size. The avatar image can have 50kb maximum. I hope I have answered your question.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  I think an example of specifics for a goal would be for instance: 

I will take a walk everyday.

This is quite a general statement.  So to be more specific how about:

I will walk every day, in the morning (afternoon, evening) to the corner of my street and back, rain or shine.

Now you are being more specific and can better measure your progress too.

Sunny
E,
I can see the "specificity" as a starting point.

ps.  What did you resize photos to when placing an avatar?
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello hugs4u. I think you can understand better the SMART concept if you look at some examples how to set a goal. You can Google SMART goals and find a lot of examples

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

I can see your point but I think specific and measurable are quite different.  To differentiate when trying to determine what is Specific about your goal look at questions that involve the W's (who, what, where, when, which and why).  To determine the Measurable focus on How (How much?, How many?, How will I know if I accomplish, etc.)

I hope this clarifies!

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley, for the acronym to achieve goals, isn't the "s" and "m" redundant, since to measure something, one has to have a specific criterion in mind?

I had this acronym pounded into me for years in training, and always found I was repeating part of the same process
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Setting goals was so hard for me when I started doing the CBT work...  I just had never learned how to set a goal.  It has gotten easier and I'm getting better at it all the time, but still need to be aware of the process.  I guess I would just encourage you Eleveno and others to keep at it ... keep tweaking those goals... I like what Davit says about setting goals, and agree that accepting any progress toward reaching them is crucial to success.  

One other thing that has been really helpful for me is setting goals with the S M A R T model.  Ashley has written about that before.  R... has been most important to me.... does this goal I am setting Resonate with me at my core... is this something I really want to do? ... is this something I believe I can do?  If the answer is no.... I break it down to a smaller short term goal.... and keep doing that (with patience) until I have success.  The confidence earned from meeting even the tiniest of goals just builds on itself... it is very empowering. 
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Because I am disabled it is hard to plan for the future, but I do anyway. Instead of looking at what I got done in terms of how close it was to my goals I cellebrate what I did get done. This is far less depressing than thinking my goals are to high to aim for. Aim high and accept what you get done. This is better I think than only aiming for what you are sure of. And keep in mind every accomplishment makes you better than you were.

Davit.

Reading this thread: