Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Heart fluttering

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That was a great post Birdie , you are really quite amazing you know . Hope you are very proud of yourself .

Um can anyone can i wasnt very good yesterday after reading my post lol ? Spelling booboos eeeek .

Hi Jo , how are you doing today ?

15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jo,
I can really relate with your story! The symptoms you describe is very much what a panic attack is for me.  The heart fluttering is one of the main symptoms I have.  I do agree a visit to the doctor can put your mind at ease.  Before I understood my body I landed in the ER 4 times with the miss a beat feel in my chest.  Those missed beats even showed up on the tests but they explained that anxiety can do that.  Nothing to worry about. 
I currently don't suffer from panic attacks but just yesterday while at work felt the symptoms arising.  Here goes putting this program to the test.  I just finished the 12th week.  It was near the end of my day, I was tired, I had a tension headache , I felt very vulnerable so I feared not managing the symptoms.   I was asked to do something unexpected at work and something I dread.  Now it was interesting and I was very happy that instead of complete panic I thought of all the things I learned hear.  That if I did feel panic and allowed it to come and then let it subside I could use this as a learning experience. That is exactly what happened.  I'm trying now to remember that I can unlearn some of this. I am really grateful for having this site to come too!!!!!!!!
I've been back to work for about 9 years now.  Took 3 years off for anxiety because I did not have resources at that time to teach me how to work through them. It's really worth the effort and energy!  I think it's more draining to be fearful than to do a job with confidence.  I think I do best when I prepare myself for a new situation by visualizing myself successfully doing whatever it is I must face. Whatever the out come I've learned something.....
I remember how scared I was to go back to work but just faced each day one at a time.  I would tell myself, just for the moment I will face this even if I hate it and try to find what is good in the moment.  After doing this over and over, day after day,  I've had more wonderful days and found that even in a bad day there were moments I laughed, saw something wonderful or helped someone that needed it.
I hope you find the courage to face your new job and enjoy the satisfaction that comes with showing up!  And if something goes wrong that is ok too because even people without panic attacks have bad days and you can't expect yourself to be perfect. Tomorrow is always!  a new day!  I'll be rooting for you!!!!!
Sincerely-Birdie

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jo,

I agree with cornish-dee, you should visit your family doctor just to make sure everything is ok, and to give yourself peace of mind. In terms of work, I think that it is great that you are going to start a new job. Like cornish-dee said, you might actually enjoy your job! It will be a change, but it sounds like you are preparing youself for it.
Does anybody have any positive stories regarding a job change that you can share with Jo?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jo . Sorry  to hear you are having such a rough time . Earlier this year i was having awful panic attacks with every nasty sensation you could could imagine to go with them . My heart fluuttering was onw of the ones i hated the most . Its damn scary . I had it checked out for piece of mind and was fine . I still got them for quite awhile , yes i was still scared but not terrifyed li9ke before .
Now finally i've cut right down and only really occasionally get it . 

Its good that your brother is where you are going to work . You are being very brave . But you never know , you might actually like it . I havnt worked for six months but hopefully will be in the next couple of weeks . Im also very nervous about it , but i know if i dont try then i might never . I am lucky enough to work for family but do deal with the public , and boy some are hard to deal with !
You do sound frightened  so maybe just checking yourself out with the doctor  will make you feel some relief  .  Goodluck  Jo .

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jo,
Is the fluttering sort of like connected from the top of the stomach area up to sometimes the throat? And it just comes whenever? I have a sensation like that.. I wonder if it's the same. 
I think it's very courageous of you to start working. I would love to start working again, but am fearful that I will have a panic attack during work and wouldn't know what to do. But little by little I am challenging public places and have progressed from before. Yesterday, when I was in a challenging situation, I kept repeating "I can do it" in my head and I did it. You can do it, too!

15 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,  for the past 3 years I have been working just from home its suited me and I gave up my job due to maga panic attacks at work and have really enjoyed doing things from home, but no here has any money so the work I was doing from home has now dried up, therefore I have had to get a part time job which is a major thing for me as I need to be a home not good about going out to work, so i have been really stressed out big time for the past few weeks worrying about money will I get a job even though I don't want to but have to,  I am not stressed now well probably am but feel calmer, but for the past few days I
 have noticed my heart fluttering a lot basically like when it suddenly does an extra beat makes you cough,  I had my heart checked out about 4 years ago and it was fine, so I am thinking is it because I had been really stressed.  I am worried about staring my new job incase I start to panic, I always feel faint, not with it and car'nt feel anything, my hands go funny like they just won't work and numb all over so I am scared this is going to happen so I have taken a part time job in a department store so should be less stressful than office work and my brother works in the offices of this store so he is there everyday, but I will have to do a day a week probably without him there although I am not working with him he is in the building so makes me feel a bit better knowing he is there, but I really want to enjoy the job and earn some proper money but cannot get into it, (I start in a weeks time) and car'nt start being of sick as don't want it to look bad on my brother.  But this heart fluttering is bugging me, I am trying to relax and go with it and am not panicing about it its like when you hungry and your tummy rumbles but in your chest.  I have felt tired lately and bit not with it maybe its as I have had to g et a job and was happy doing work from home but got let down after 3 years.

Reading this thread: