Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Headaches and irrational thoughts

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gene:  Wow, your own article?  That's big business, you must be going through the works with the editors then.  One of the doc's I worked with over here is an editor, and the debates I see him get into can get downright ugly!  But to have a better understanding in the field, one must argue a point until a conclusion is made.  So I can see why he/they do it.  Best of luck on the article, you definitely sound capable!

Aha, fear goggles.  I like that.  Very true, I become very one sided with my views when I'm having an attack.  I'm seeing that more and more, and it's helping me to come to an understanding and accept the way things are.  Now I step back when I feel that rush of an attack, relax, then think about it again.  It's a work in progress, but I've seen enough results to know it's a good path for me to walk on.

Dark:  nice piece.  You have a good way of breaking things down, so-to-speak.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well thank-you jhori82 and DB ( nice to see you again btw , was wondering how you were ) . Its certainly good to read .
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
darkblue...

Again I must thank you for another amazing post.   We have a lot of similiarities in our experiences..at least from what I've read.  With my anxiety / panic came the Obsessions... I've never had to deal with repetitive behaviour but the thoughts going over and over and over and over... well you understand.

I've obsessed about schizophrenia during one of my "episodes" and many other disturbing thoughts.. often from something I'd read or seen and thought "how disturbing" and then I had to own it.  It was awful.   When I relapsed this January it was a terrible reminder of how powerful it can be .. blah.  That being said I come out stronger each time and am again "well"... hopefully the break will be just as long if not longer than the last (6 years I think)... keep my fingers crossed...

Mind you now that I've spoken of it I might have to do some damage control.. LOL...

Thanks again DB

Dazed
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
darkblue,

Thanks again for the great post and info.
Members, what do you think?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That knowledge helped me massively some months back.  I thought I was actually going mad. 

But you have to understand that all anxiety disorders are very closely linked.  If you have panic attacks, you probably have some extent of:  Depression, OCD, Phobias, Agrophobia, etc.

I had all of the above.

Depression and OCD to a lesser extent, but OCD did affect me.  One of the symptoms is constant irrational thinking of the same thing over and over and over and over.

I would do that about madness.  And, ironically, about OCD itself.  I would excessively think disturbing thoughts about having OCD and then about being schtizophrenic.

A very very high majority of schtizophrenic people have the onset of symptoms before they are 20.  Therefore if you are over that the chances of 'turning' schitzophrenic are very small (5% of cases from what I've read in the British Medical Journal)

That comforted me a little.

And then I had a conversation with my doctor about it which went like this:

"I think I'm going mad/schitzophrenic/nervous breakdown, etc"

Doc:  "I'm afraid not.  Madness, unfortunately, does not come out like that.  If you had gone mad, you would not think you were 'insane', you would not know you were going 'insane'."

'Insanity' is not actually a clinical term.  It is actually a legal term to explain those who are incapable of rational thought or therefore inable to act in legal transactions and be held accountable for their actions.  But I digress.

'Neurosis' is the word which best describes the feeling of 'going mad'.  It's most commonly used in psychoanalysis, but has creeped its way into common use.  It's no longer used by the DSM but it's still worthy of a mention.

Neurosis is whereby the sufferer feels that they are going mad, however it is due to stress or distress.

In short, no - we are not going and will not 'turn' mad.   We are suffering stress.  Madness, I always thought, would have been a sweet release.

Genejockey,

You are honestly a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for sharing the info, and good luck on publishing your first journal article! Let us know how it goes!

15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jhori

I do believe that knowledge is power. When my mind is in a good state I certainly interpret articles very positively. Making sense of journal articles is something I do all day but it goes with the territory. I am hoping to publish my first article soon. When you are in a bad place you look at things with "fear goggles". I tend to end up focusing on the one in a million chance of some catastrophe happening instead of the high probability that something good will happen. But I'm getting better.

When I was really worrying about the "madness" issue I also read another article where they found other genetic loci involved in schizophrenia. The authors also compared the loci with the development of panic disorder, depression and bipolar disorder and found NO correlation whatsoever.    
Genejockey,

Good to know! Thanks so much for sharing that great info.
Does this put anyone else's mind at ease?

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank Gene for that very reassuring info! I think it is great how info like that can be found nowadays!
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Right there with you Gene.  I like to read abstracts and journal entries that the psychologists and mental health pro's at my work write, along with the international journals.  That's where a lot of my understanding, and misunderstandings came from. Gotta be 10% smarter then the equipment you work with, same goes with the material you read.

The better my mind state becomes, the more sense I make from the journals.  Is this the same for you?

Reading this thread: