Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Journaling physical symptoms

13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marina, for me the headaches and nausea are a given when I stop drinking or even just cut back... I've heard (not here) that such reactions are a really good indicator of how addicted we are.  I do urge you to contact your doctor... there are medications than can help with the nausea and the cravings as well.  When I was taking them they really helped.  Um... why did I stop??? I have no recollection.  sheesh.  time to visit my own doctor.  i hate all this accountability stuff..........
no, not really.  but it helps to whine a little bit.  Well, it does.  Keep us posted on how you are doing Marina.  We do care... I think you have lots of evidence of that on the forums. 
13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marina,

When you stop, your body goes through many changes and healing processes.  Nausea and headaches are common and can be signs of withdrawal.  However, if these symptoms persist contact your doctor to rule out any medical.

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Does anyone know whether feeling nauseous and headaches are associated with stopping drinking?
13 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m, I feel your pain.  I have also used alcohol for years to numb the pain of unbearably intense feelings.  The irony is that the times I have felt the most desperate have been when I have had way too much to drink.  Now that I am not drinking I find myself in a strange state where I am still sort of numb.  Plenty of anxiety but I haven't shed a tear- or been excited - or happy - or sad... Just irritable.  And a little afraid that I will be blindsided by an unexpected flood of feelings.

We need to find a healthier way to deal with our feelings.  The only way we will break free is if we can have faith that the universe will not implode if we allow ourselves to feel strong feelings.  And despite how terrifying and overwhelming it may seem - we will not disintigrate, nor will we feel such intense pain forever.  I know that in my mind.  Now I hope that with the support of others, I can accept it in my heart.  Have courage.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,

Sorry to hear you struggle but glad you are reaching out to get help. I know it is frustrating to not be at the end of this long and challenging journey. And it sounds like now you are also dealing with another side of yourself, about which you are not very pleased. Do be gentle with yourself. We are not so easily offended!

Going back to your muscle analogy..I like it but they are not quiet comparable. Physical (body) pain is helped with time and other external factors such as the epsom salts bath you mentioned. With mental pain, the cure has to come from within. Would it be correct to say that you originally started drinking as a way to avoid your feelings? You seem very strong and tenacious, therefore I believe you have what it takes to overcome this! You are already doing it, in fact. Look at the bravery you have shown already and find strength in that. Look at how feeling your emotions hasn't wrecked you and take strength in that. It could change your "whole life". That is pretty powerful! Worth a try, maybe? What if you said "yes, I'm afraid but I'm going to do it anyway." ?

Tiana, Health Educator
Ashley, Thank you for the reminder that the intensity of emotions will pass and feeling them will get easier... Feeling does not have to be so intense and all encompassing so that I absolutely cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel when I'm in the moment.  You wrote:
Can you look at your emotions as something not to fear?  If you were able to do this what would this change?

Wow.  Not fear my emotions??? Not fear my emotions. Wow.  It would pretty much change my whole life I think.  
maybe i could actually cry and the sad would not be so big if i could do that.  feels impossible right now.  how do you change fear into not fear? what is the opposite of fear? Brave.  Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha... that'll NEVER be me, not sober anyway. 

could it?
Aw no Healthyj...you didn't say anything wrong, nor was what you said about feeling real emotions "misinterpreted".  Even if it was misinterpreted... that would be my problem, not yours!  You were being positive and helpful.  I was just in one of my crabby, feeling-real-emotions-sucks moods.  Granted I'm feeling that way most of the time right now because feeling real emotions when they happen... does not come naturally to me.  I am trying to learn.  But it is not fun or painless by any means.  Using muscles that have never been used (physical or emotional) hurts ... a lot.  After physical exercise you can soak in a warm bath with epsom salts.  After emotional exercise... what the heck do you do to ease that pain?  Well... I still have to soak in alcohol every now and then because I have not figured out the answer to that one.  I am told that the more I feel authentic emotions, the less painful it will be... gotta build up that muscle.  Ugh... the process is taking too long.  I want to be "fixed" and I want to be "fixed" now!!!!   I'm sorry my crabbiness spilled over onto you and anyone else that was offended.  I'm usually a pretty pleasant person, but quitting drinking is setting loose some real ugliness.  Sorry.  Really.
13 years ago 0 81 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BTW....think my post may have been misinterpreted (or could be)...What i meant when I said "isn't it good to feel emotion" was...when I've been drunk I don't have a clue whether or not the way I felt was real or the effects of alcohol.  For instance there were times when i was drunk that I felt very very upset about my Mom having Alzheimer's.  I cried and cried and cried but then wondered if my crying was related to the effects of the alcohol.  Being sober, I do continue to cry as I grieve the loss of my Mom as my Mom without Alzheimer's. BUT, now I know that what I am feeling is REAL...and that my friends for me is FREEDOM.  So, I am sorry for all those suffering pain and my heart goes out for them and the emotions that go with that...don't mean to belittle emotion! 
13 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marylizy, my heart feels sad for you...how are you doing?  I know emotional breakdowns are hard and may not feel good but (as you know) the "release" is very healing.  I have learned with my addiction that resistance to pain = suffering and acknowledging pain = freedom...not so easy for people (like me) who have issues with crying.  I hope you are having a peaceful night.
13 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ~m,

You feel it.  You let yourself be sad.  It hurts, it sucks, you may cry, but it will pass. It won't stay that way forever.  When it passes things will look different.  You will be amazed you got through it without drinking.  Or you will remind yourself that you could and can get through it without drinking.  Drinking will not fix it and it will probably make it stick around for longer.

This isn't easy. 

Can you look at your emotions as something not to fear?  If you were able to do this what would this change?

We are all here for you.  You are not alone in this.  Post as much as you feel comfortable posting.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: